VOGONS

Reply 1740 of 4609, by bandicoot67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was driving to my grumpy old dads joint up in the sticks when i spotted this one. I pulled over and parked up safely to retrieve it. The front panel and case were about fifteen meters apart from each other. You can see the scuff marks on the front panel. It was like some suspect low life bastage human had thrown this innocent PC from a moving vehicle like an unwanted puppy dog, kitten or bandicoot. This kind of shit makes me so angry. If you could see my face right now, it's a face with a lot of anger and rage included! I wish i had caught the disgraceful human who did this in the act. Poor little thing. I may be able to bring it back to life one day soon i hope.

Attachments

• V76M_8.jpg
    Filename
    V76M_8.jpg
    File size
    843.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • V76M_6.jpg
    Filename
    V76M_6.jpg
    File size
    635.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • V76M_7.jpg
    Filename
    V76M_7.jpg
    File size
    1.14 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • V76M_3.jpg
    Filename
    V76M_3.jpg
    File size
    534.94 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1741 of 4609, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bandicoot67 wrote:

Was driving to my grumpy old dads joint up in the sticks when i spotted this one. I pulled over and parked up safely to retrieve it. The front panel and case were about fifteen meters apart from each other. You can see the scuff marks on the front panel. It was like some suspect low life bastage human had thrown this innocent PC from a moving vehicle like an unwanted puppy dog, kitten or bandicoot. This kind of shit makes me so angry. If you could see my face right now, it's a face with a lot of anger and rage included! I wish i had caught the disgraceful human who did this in the act. Poor little thing. I may be able to bring it back to life one day soon i hope.

I mean...at the end of the day, it's just a regular computer, nothing particularly rare. I'd be a little disappointed to find it in that state, but nothing to call someone a "disgraceful human" over... 🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 1742 of 4609, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This mobo is close to what my father bought in 2001 ... and it's a piece of crap : no AGP, integrated SiS "GPU" (can you even call that a GPU. I'm pretty sure it has the same "performance" as the SiS 6326 AGP card ...). I guess you can turn it into a "okay" windows 98 computer by adding a PCI video card, but it's definitely not the greatest thing.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1743 of 4609, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

The problem is that aluminum can't be joined using low tension crimps, Marrette connectors, or most other methods that are sufficient with copper. Copper forms a much more reliable cold weld with these methods where aluminum can work loose and begin to arc after repeated thermal cycling. Aluminum installed with high pressure crimp lugs, the Tyco CopAlum system, or straight in press down terminations like Phoenix plugs, the alumiconn system, or even Co/Alr hardware eliminates this weakness.

Dude you get my vote for formum member with the broadest range of knowledge 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1744 of 4609, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are not really recent finds and not very retro either.

I need a printer for... printing and today when I was messing about in one of my storage units I stumbled upon a couple of HP Laserjet dumpster finds. I found one of these perhaps 5 years ago and the other about two years ago but both are from dumpsters or electronic waste bins.

HP laserjet 1020 + HP laserjet 1018.

HP laserjet 1020 + 1018 dumpster finds.JPG
Filename
File size
772.94 KiB
Views
File license

I thought I better bring both inside my apartment and with luck one of them works but I expected that I would have to buy a new toner. The off-brand toners for these are really cheap, like 15 euro cheap for one specified to last 2000 pages.

The first one I tried worked perfectly without even printing a "cleaning page" and I just tested the other one, it also works perfectly... I wonder why these were discarded...

HP Laserjet 1020 test page.

HP Laserjet 1020 test page.JPG
Filename
File size
590.12 KiB
Views
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1745 of 4609, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:
These are not really recent finds and not very retro either. […]
Show full quote

These are not really recent finds and not very retro either.

I need a printer for... printing and today when I was messing about in one of my storage units I stumbled upon a couple of HP Laserjet dumpster finds. I found one of these perhaps 5 years ago and the other about two years ago but both are from dumpsters or electronic waste bins.

HP laserjet 1020 + HP laserjet 1018.

I thought I better bring both inside my apartment and with luck one of them works but I expected that I would have to buy a new toner. The off-brand toners for these are really cheap, like 15 euro cheap for one specified to last 2000 pages.

The first one I tried worked perfectly without even printing a "cleaning page" and I just tested the other one, it also works perfectly... I wonder why these were discarded...

HP Laserjet 1020 test page.

Nice one! I'm still using my HP 1018 from ~11 years ago. Won it at a silent auction with 2 toner carts and the works. Still using the second toner, and it's been a great printer. Only downside is that it's the baseline model, so HP never released Mac drivers.

I found another 1018 in a dumpster dive like yours for my dad, it works great for him, just needed the no-name $15 amazon toner cart.

Reply 1746 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Dude you get my vote for formum member with the broadest range of knowledge 😎

Thanks, but I doubt it. OT, too. 😦

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1747 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bandicoot67 wrote:

This is actually not as uninteresting at it may first appear.
Sis 620 chipset? Don't see too many of these around! I think that in total, I've probably not come across more then 2 Sis-based s370 motherboards. Both were identical and at least 1 of them had already developed a bulging cap. Iirc mine were SiS 630 s370 ones?

I really disliked those royalty OEM cases from that era, like the Compaq and HP cases from that time. Your case even had some of the io connectors blocked 🤣, which is something that was done in the ss7 and early s370 days. The blocked io connectors are mentioned on the sticker inside the case though.

I tended to junk these cases after having salvaged it for parts and especially the boards, as the boards themselves were not that bad actually.

The fact that it doesn't have an AGP port connector is actually not that much of a problem as back then the AGP and PCI variants of graphics cards had very similar performance. A quick search revealed it's an Acer/AOpen board and it at least works with s370 Celerons, which are actually pretty good CPUs in their own right.

If you decide to junk the case, don't forget to also salvage the sticker inside the case.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1748 of 4609, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a Procomp SIS630 Socket 370 motherboard that I gave away along with the P3-800E and 128MB RAM it had on it. It is novel at first but there is nothing it really does better than another hardware combination can't do better..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1749 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

I had a Procomp SIS630 Socket 370 motherboard that I gave away along with the P3-800E and 128MB RAM it had on it. It is novel at first but there is nothing it really does better than another hardware combination can't do better..

For all we know it may be better at being slower, like how hardly anyone wanted the VIA C3 chips before the s370 slowdown machines?
But you're correct to a large degree regarding the chipset, for most a BX, 815 or 694 chipsetted board would be the way to go 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 1750 of 4609, by bandicoot67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
This is actually not as uninteresting at it may first appear. Sis 620 chipset? Don't see too many of these around! I think that […]
Show full quote

Sis 620 chipset? Don't see too many of these around! I think that in total, I've probably not come across more then 2 Sis-based s370 motherboards. Both were identical and at least 1 of them had already developed a bulging cap. Iirc mine were SiS 630 s370 ones?

I really disliked those royalty OEM cases from that era, like the Compaq and HP cases from that time. Your case even had some of the io connectors blocked 🤣, which is something that was done in the ss7 and early s370 days. The blocked io connectors are mentioned on the sticker inside the case though.

I tended to junk these cases after having salvaged it for parts and especially the boards, as the boards themselves were not that bad actually.

The fact that it doesn't have an AGP port connector is actually not that much of a problem as back then the AGP and PCI variants of graphics cards had very similar performance. A quick search revealed it's an Acer/AOpen board and it at least works with s370 Celerons, which are actually pretty good CPUs in their own right.

If you decide to junk the case, don't forget to also salvage the sticker inside the case.

Cheers for the info mate, i won't be junking anything. Old stuff like this is the reason im here. The sole reason. Looking down the track, if i can't bring it back to life, i will eventually use the case for something modern seeing as how tech is getting smaller and smaller and more powerful every two darn months!

I watched this on TV three nights ago, then tracked it down on youtube and downloaded it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX3M8Ka9vUA
Im thinking future tech in a retro case may even start some sort of trend! lols

Reply 1751 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bandicoot67 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
This is actually not as uninteresting at it may first appear. Sis 620 chipset? Don't see too many of these around! I think that […]
Show full quote

Cheers for the info mate, i won't be junking anything. Old stuff like this is the reason im here. The sole reason. Looking down the track, if i can't bring it back to life, i will eventually use the case for something modern seeing as how tech is getting smaller and smaller and more powerful every two darn months!

yw 😀

It's easy to dismiss something as "useless" or "junk" when in reality it's got its own uses. Heck, even old Voodoo cards were deemed useless not too long ago 🤣
I was never a fan of the trow-away economy.

Report spammers here!

Reply 1752 of 4609, by bandicoot67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honest question all. A sneak peek at my most prized road side case find. What can we see here? This 1998 case weights in at roughly two tonnes, it takes least three blokes to lift it....ok, i do lie a little bit, it is very heavy for it's age and i have four more similar case's, but not like this one ..

Would you respect and love me more if i restored it as the original case or if modify it, because you know i can and want too??

Attachments

• SOLID 98 CASE.jpg
    Filename
    SOLID 98 CASE.jpg
    File size
    956.87 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1753 of 4609, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

I wonder why these were discarded...

Just guessing here of course, but the 1000 series had a huge issue with drivers. For many models there were no drivers for anything past windows XP. For some models you could get basic functionality on Vista & 7 using other drivers and tricks, but only for 32-bit versions. In a few words it was really frustrating for clients to have bought a laser printer when they weren't that cheap, which shorty after became useless and HP ignored them. I had one of those and had bought a brand new toner just before moving on from XP. I used it in a virtual machine to finish off that toner and then gave it away to a school still using XP. The next one I got was not an HP.

Reply 1754 of 4609, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lack of space is one thing that forces even me to throw away things that I would not throw away otherwise. I am sure there can be many situations in life where the only thing you can do is throw away stuff like if you need to move to smaller apartment or perhaps when you get married.

Reply 1755 of 4609, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bandicoot67 wrote:

Honest question all. A sneak peek at my most prized road side case find. What can we see here? This 1998 case weights in at roughly two tonnes, it takes least three blokes to lift it....ok, i do lie a little bit, it is very heavy for it's age and i have four more similar case's, but not like this one ..

Would you respect and love me more if i restored it as the original case or if modify it, because you know i can and want too??

It's yours now so up to you 😀 personally I aim for original condition, my view is that part of saving an old computer is preserving its old school look and specs. However these are 20 year old consumer goods and not sacred relics of an ancient civilisation (and given their construction they won't last indefinitely anyway) so whatever you choose to do with the cases is cool!

Reply 1756 of 4609, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently found this P4 PICMG board along with PCI/ISA backplane with 12 PCI slots. This will make a nice test system after recapping is finished.

IP-4GVP20_thumb.jpg
Filename
IP-4GVP20_thumb.jpg
File size
70.61 KiB
Views
File comment
As you can see the caps are in a really bad condition
File license

Reply 1757 of 4609, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

I wonder why these were discarded...

Just guessing here of course, but the 1000 series had a huge issue with drivers. For many models there were no drivers for anything past windows XP. For some models you could get basic functionality on Vista & 7 using other drivers and tricks, but only for 32-bit versions. In a few words it was really frustrating for clients to have bought a laser printer when they weren't that cheap, which shorty after became useless and HP ignored them. I had one of those and had bought a brand new toner just before moving on from XP. I used it in a virtual machine to finish off that toner and then gave it away to a school still using XP. The next one I got was not an HP.

It seems these work fine in Windows 7 x64 now.

I guess I'm using a Mircrosoft provided driver but I don't think there are any important settings missing and the driver is called "HP LaserJet 1020" so it's not just some random standard printer driver.

eisapc wrote:

I recently found this P4 PICMG board along with PCI/ISA backplane with 12 PCI slots. This will make a nice test system after recapping is finished.

IP-4GVP20_thumb.jpg

Nice!

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1758 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Boom as soon as the warm weather hits the scrap yards start getting good shit again. 🤣

Found a Packard Bell Force 51CD from 1994 today:

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc5pgps.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc5pn7n.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc5q00z.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc5q027.jpg

1992 Gateway 2000 486DX/33:

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc5pzzv.jpg

and also a bunch of VHS tapes in a box and a brand new Emerson TV/ VCR. Gonna be watching action movies tonight!! 😁

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc5pgjq.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1759 of 4609, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

Boom as soon as the warm weather hits the scrap yards start getting good shit again. 🤣

Found a Packard Bell Force 51CD from 1994 today:

and also a bunch of VHS tapes in a box and a brand new Emerson TV/ VCR. Gonna be watching action movies tonight!! 😁

Don't forget to crank up some Pearl Jam, Marilyn Mason and Smashing Pumpkins to make your 90s night complete.