VOGONS

Reply 1360 of 4609, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this from under the bed in the spare bedroom in my moms house. Just your average P4/2.4, but now I know what happened to that GF3 I lost a few years ago. Wish I'd found it sooner as I thought I was crazy when I clearly remember having a ti500 and not just the ti200 I ended up using in one of my builds. 😵

p4.jpg
Filename
p4.jpg
File size
91.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
gf3.jpg
Filename
gf3.jpg
File size
165.08 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1361 of 4609, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The G31TM-P21 looks like a fairly useful C2Q and 1600 FSB (1600 by OC) motherboard, so it looks like it could handle anything in the LGA775 line - and with a half decent PCI-E graphics, it could even have a shot at more recent games - maybe better for a budget build than a retro build

Reply 1362 of 4609, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Not really a dumpster find, but I found this in a box at the local recycler, so I can probably get it really cheap. This worth getting?

Tyan Thunder K7 S2462. Looks like AMD 760MPX chipset, 2 unknown Athlon MP's with heatsink/fan, and 2 sticks of memory.

ftp://ftp.tyan.com/datasheets/d_s2468_150.pdf

YES. 10,000 times yes. (coming from a guy that can't get enough dual-cpu systems)

I occasionally see some 2 socket systems. Last one with a Tyan 604 Xeon board, but it lacked AGP (just PCI-X), so I figured it wasn't very useful. This one caught me eye because of the AGP slot.

LMK what you're looking for and I'll keep a look out for you. Although most of them are EATX, not sure what kind of USPS box is necessary for those.

Reply 1363 of 4609, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Asus TRL-DLS , PC-DL, NCCH-DL are the big ones on my list. First one I'm convinced doesn't exist in the US.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1365 of 4609, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to build a dual cpu- triple voodoo5 setup.

Right after I win the lotto.

One piece at a time though, right?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1366 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

How would you use three V5s?

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1367 of 4609, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
luckybob wrote:

How would you use three V5s?

one in the left hand, one in the right hand and one on a golden chain :>

Reply 1369 of 4609, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was on a walk to the ATM to deposit some cash tonight and came across a few things. Couldn't take much since I was walking though. There was some Sony Ericsson mobile phone from around 2005 in a box, some external USB2.0 HDD caddies, some 4:3 LCD monitors, keyboards etc.

One of the LCD monitors was 1400x1050. I've never seen that resolution in my life so that was interesting.

lDGytvVl.jpg

Boxes and boxes of cannibalised PC cases. Unfortunately not much hardware in this pile though.

lEnzri3l.jpg

There was this absolute fire hazard of a PSU. Who doesn't love a good generic brand 50A 5V PSU?

TKMvIgVl.jpg

It was probably powering this. I took it, it seemed to be in fairly good physical condition. Looks to be a Celeron judging from what you can see of the CPU. AGP slot, two ISA slots and some PCI slots.

Brought it back home. I don't need another 370 Board but hey, wanted to check it out anyway.

NEYJSFTl.jpg GDOJOEEl.jpg

TDxYoRql.jpg

Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+. Has 512MB of mismatched SDRAM from all different brands.

6LUFZmCl.jpg

SL3LQ 500MHz Celeron.

I don't even know what I'm going to do with this now. It's rare seeing actual older PC hardware that's pre C2D era here so I didn't want to just leave it to be thrown out. 🤣

Reply 1371 of 4609, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

Got this from under the bed in the spare bedroom in my moms house. Just your average P4/2.4, but now I know what happened to that GF3 I lost a few years ago. Wish I'd found it sooner as I thought I was crazy when I clearly remember having a ti500 and not just the ti200 I ended up using in one of my builds. 😵

If you want a fast DOS PC you can always throw a YMF7xx PCI or an ALS4000 in it.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 1372 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
x0zm_ wrote:

I don't even know what I'm going to do with this now. It's rare seeing actual older PC hardware that's pre C2D era here so I didn't want to just leave it to be thrown out. 🤣

Yeah, even P4 stuff is rare now as far as what you find in bins.

Reply 1373 of 4609, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xplus93 wrote:
x0zm_ wrote:

Where I live P4 systems of any kind including rambus are like roaches..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1374 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
xplus93 wrote:
x0zm_ wrote:

Where I live P4 systems of any kind including rambus are like roaches..

Same, P4 systems are way too common in the dumps here, although i don't mind picking some of them (this is why i ended with over 100 P4 CPU samples, maybe 150+ samples)

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 1375 of 4609, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see so many p4s where I live that I don't even care for them, except some (rare) times when the thing looks like it's high-end

This year, I bought a boxed socket 478 motherboard because it was boxed and that the PCB was white which made it look really neat. However the caps are blown up, but I don't mind this as I know how to replace them and that I don't need it at the moment (I've got several p4 motherboards, but I don't have the room to use them and I don't even want to use them for now, maybe later ?)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1376 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

I see so many p4s where I live that I don't even care for them, except some (rare) times when the thing looks like it's high-end

This year, I bought a boxed socket 478 motherboard because it was boxed and that the PCB was white which made it look really neat. However the caps are blown up, but I don't mind this as I know how to replace them and that I don't need it at the moment (I've got several p4 motherboards, but I don't have the room to use them and I don't even want to use them for now, maybe later ?)

478 does seem like a bigger part of my collection. But that's mostly because it spares I had from before collecting. I'm actually in the middle of building two spare P4 rigs for lan parties. (3.06/GF6600 and 3.2/GF6800GT OC) Not as much fun when you're the host and you're terrible at anything but RTS.

Reply 1377 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WTF?? Just grabbed this out of the disposal pile. Yes, it does seem to work. It needs a bit of servicing & a tune-up, but that's doable. Cartridge & stylus intact.

I'm pretty sure the person who put it in the trash saw me take it out, but I don't care. If you're gonna throw this away, I'm gonna grab it. Deal with it (sunglasses.)

Attachments

• tt2.jpg
    Filename
    tt2.jpg
    File size
    184.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • tt1.jpg
    Filename
    tt1.jpg
    File size
    135.03 KiB
    Views
    File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1378 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

WTF?? Just grabbed this out of the disposal pile. Yes, it does seem to work. It needs a bit of servicing & a tune-up, but that's doable. Cartridge & stylus intact.

I'm pretty sure the person who put it in the trash saw me take it out, but I don't care. If you're gonna throw this away, I'm gonna grab it. Deal with it (sunglasses.)

Got a technics sl-7 the same way. Looks to be a similar unit. Those automatic linear trackers are AMAZING. May not sound the best, but they make vinyl a lot more simple.

EDIT: not sure if you knew this but those "right/left" controls allow you to easily pick which song you want to listen to, fast forward, rewind, etc.

Reply 1379 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Neat! Yeah I've never messed with a linear turntable before, will have fun getting this one up & running. I do have a nice DJ setup already (two chunky Numark TT200s with Shure M44-7s) but this will be a wholly different beast. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!