Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cute, they're family!

tizzdizz wrote:

<snip>

IMG_2148.JPG
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Sooooooo I had some extreme luck on Marktplaats.nl yesterday. I bought two old systems and I picked them up today: […]
Show full quote

Sooooooo I had some extreme luck on Marktplaats.nl yesterday. I bought two old systems and I picked them up today:

v6YSrsMl.jpg

<snip>

1982 to 2001

Reply 1221 of 4609, by Calvero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tizzdizz wrote:

Finally is the one I'm most excited about. It's a mini tower with turbo button and key! It's an AMD 5x86 x5 133mhz machine, with I believe 16 megs of ram and a sound master 16.

Sound master 16? Is that a typo or just a name that sounds a lot like a Sound Blaster 16?
I do have two Sound Boostar 16/32 sound cards.

Reply 1222 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

[quote="tizzdizz"]

That 3rd case is the same one from my PIII era machine. I actually came across an identical one recently but for some reason scrapped it which is weird because most people hunt for decades to get such things back. Meh, I always hated that case, as it as cheap. Power button broke. That last case is EPIC however.

Speaking of which, I'm extremely happy at picking up this case in a recent office clear out:

20170730_201547_001-1494x2656.jpg
Filename
File size
668.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Now this IS a case I've been coveting for some time. Should clean up nicely. Aside from the internal Zip drive, the contents are even better:

20170730_201719-1494x2656.jpg
Filename
File size
759.98 KiB
Views
File license

Mobo is an Epox BX7+100. Haven't looked it up but I'm assuming it's S370 and I don't know what the CPU is because it won't post. Biggest surprise was the TNT2 Pro 32MB and you can never have too many ISA Sound Blasters even if it is a CT4520.

Last edited by brassicGamer on 2017-07-30, 19:38. Edited 2 times in total.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 1223 of 4609, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Cute, they're family!

tizzdizz wrote:

<snip>

IMG_2148.JPG
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Sooooooo I had some extreme luck on Marktplaats.nl yesterday. I bought two old systems and I picked them up today: […]
Show full quote

Sooooooo I had some extreme luck on Marktplaats.nl yesterday. I bought two old systems and I picked them up today:

v6YSrsMl.jpg

<snip>

That's rad! Have you done anything with yours yet? What are the specs?

Reply 1224 of 4609, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Disassembled and cleaned it, I am currently deciding what to put in it: What retro activity did you get up to today? It had a Pentium 90 on an Intel board, more pictures in this post: Bought these (retro) hardware today

tizzdizz wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Cute, they're family!

tizzdizz wrote:

<snip>

IMG_2148.JPG
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Show full quote

v6YSrsMl.jpg

<snip>

That's rad! Have you done anything with yours yet? What are the specs?

1982 to 2001

Reply 1225 of 4609, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Calvero wrote:
tizzdizz wrote:

Finally is the one I'm most excited about. It's a mini tower with turbo button and key! It's an AMD 5x86 x5 133mhz machine, with I believe 16 megs of ram and a sound master 16.

Sound master 16? Is that a typo or just a name that sounds a lot like a Sound Blaster 16?
I do have two Sound Boostar 16/32 sound cards.

Indeed, you are correct. My thumbs are too fat on my iphone, and autocorrect means well, but...

Reply 1227 of 4609, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Somebody gave me a nice little 386SX 25 computer in an AT form factor

PC_386_Avant-2.jpg

PC_386_cote_1-2.jpg

The battery was about to leak ...
76ca94ef13064c8be77cfcabc529abf9a6ad9a91.jpg

But hopefully I removed it just in time ^^

The computer came with 6MB of ram, an UMC io card, a trident video card, two fdds (the 5"1/4 is an 1.2MB model so that's sweet ^^). The hdd was removed but that's fine, I have plenty of them

The PSU's fan did make a rattling noise, but after adding some oil, it's now perfectly fine. The caps looked good, but I'll replace them as they are now 25 years old. Otherwize, the computer works like a charm and the case looks nice even though it's yellowed.

Now I can get rid of my black 386SX 25 PS/1 which I never liked a lot ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1228 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lol, so many people atm getting AT towers! Good thing these ended up with collectors 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1229 of 4609, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Lol, so many people atm getting AT towers! Good thing these ended up with collectors 😀

I'm still looking for my first. I'd love to have one for my 486. It's currently in an ATX case. Still beige, but a little too modern. At least the games play the same. 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1230 of 4609, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had *one* AT tower. It's by far the coolest tower I had and ever will have.

Attachments

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1232 of 4609, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed, this has to be one of the coolest AT case I've seen ^^

clueless1 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I'm still looking for my first. I'd love to have one for my 486. It's currently in an ATX case. Still beige, but a little too modern. At least the games play the same. 😉

Well for me AT cases are not that rare. I currently have 9 of them and 5 of them are empty (though I also have plenty unused AT motherboards, especially socket 7 ones and dead 486 ones). I'll get rid of 1 or 2 of them someday as they take up too munch room ^^

This has to be the first computer I've seen with a varta battery that didn't die ... I hate those things !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1233 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
tizzdizz wrote:
That 3rd case is the same one from my PIII era machine. I actually came across an identical one recently but for some reason scr […]
Show full quote

That 3rd case is the same one from my PIII era machine. I actually came across an identical one recently but for some reason scrapped it which is weird because most people hunt for decades to get such things back. Meh, I always hated that case, as it as cheap. Power button broke. That last case is EPIC however.

Speaking of which, I'm extremely happy at picking up this case in a recent office clear out:

Now this IS a case I've been coveting for some time. Should clean up nicely. Aside from the internal Zip drive, the contents are even better:

Mobo is an Epox BX7+100. Haven't looked it up but I'm assuming it's S370 and I don't know what the CPU is because it won't post. Biggest surprise was the TNT2 Pro 32MB and you can never have too many ISA Sound Blasters even if it is a CT4520.

I'd give a try and see if the board still works or not, socket 370 BX boards are uncommon, especially when are for Pentium III

CT4520 is mainly an AWE64 Value or Standard AWE64

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 1234 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

You at least have an AT backplate for that ATX case?
And I suppose you already had a look on amibay, there were a couple people selling AT cases last time I had a look there.

oeuvre wrote:

I've had *one* AT tower. It's by far the coolest tower I had and ever will have.

That AT case looks totally awesome!! 😲

Deksor wrote:
Indeed, this has to be one of the coolest AT case I've seen ^^ […]
Show full quote

Indeed, this has to be one of the coolest AT case I've seen ^^

clueless1 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Well for me AT cases are not that rare. I currently have 9 of them and 5 of them are empty (though I also have plenty unused AT motherboards, especially socket 7 ones and dead 486 ones). I'll get rid of 1 or 2 of them someday as they take up too munch room ^^

This has to be the first computer I've seen with a varta battery that didn't die ... I hate those things !

I'm at over 20 AT towers now (got most of them back when I started collecting and these were much easier and cheaper to find), but a couple of them are missing their harddrive cages (no idea why I decided to bring those home, probably gotten them or their content was soo good that I reckoned it was easier simply bringing in the entire system).
I got one of those very tall ones, but most are basically standard AT minitower clones as those are the most flexible.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1235 of 4609, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well one of my AT case misses it's cover so I'm not going to keep it. However I know somebody that may still be interested by it so fortunately, nothing's lost. This case previously had one ... but next I did find the exact same case in a munch better shape (no or little yellowing, no rust, has it's giant foot) but lacked the cover so I just exchanged the cover so now it's complete. It came with a 486 board but unfortunately the board was buggy. I tried to repair it by removing and resoldering the chipset but it died in the operation. It wasn't really usable before (some cards worked, some didn't, the VLB didn't want to work at all) so that's not a big loss.

Reply 1236 of 4609, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

You at least have an AT backplate for that ATX case?
And I suppose you already had a look on amibay, there were a couple people selling AT cases last time I had a look there.

No backplane. No one looks there. Right now, it's function over form.

Shipping costs push any cases over my budget right now. 🙁 I do have a friend who says he has some in his storage, and when the time comes for him to clean it out, he'll call me to come take whatever I want. But I've been waiting a year already, I might as well keep waiting, knowing it will be free.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1238 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:

I'd give a try and see if the board still works or not, socket 370 BX boards are uncommon, especially when are for Pentium III

CT4520 is mainly an AWE64 Value or Standard AWE64

Reckon I might have found the culprits:

20170801_161706-2656x1494.jpg
Filename
20170801_161706-2656x1494.jpg
File size
652.73 KiB
Views
File license

Looks like the previous owner mashed a bunch of caps by pushing something from the 5.25" bays too hard. Also there's a bulger so I'll probably recap the whole thing - this board is from prime bad cap era.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 1239 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More junk!

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbijxaz.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbijxaa.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbijxbg.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbijxcj.jpg
(Found this behind a garbage lugger!)

All computers work the old ones need new clock batts but the mac is flawless. Seems to be a decommissioned school pc.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!