VOGONS

Reply 1660 of 4600, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This thing was in the garbage.

IMG_9346.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/IMG_9346.jpg

At first I thought it was a REALLY strange video card that gave you four composite outputs and a VGA connection for attaching a proper monitor, but then I noticed the total lack of data pins on the PCI edge. All I see is power and ground. Also that is one tiny goddamn video chipset for handling that many outputs.
This is actually something entirely different. The VGA port is the INPUT. The four composite jacks are the OUTPUT. It's a scan converter that fits in and is powered by a PCI slot! 🤣

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 1661 of 4600, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CelGen wrote:

At first I thought it was a REALLY strange video card that gave you four composite outputs and a VGA connection for attaching a proper monitor, but then I noticed the total lack of data pins on the PCI edge. All I see is power and ground. Also that is one tiny goddamn video chipset for handling that many outputs.
This is actually something entirely different. The VGA port is the INPUT. The four composite jacks are the OUTPUT. It's a scan converter that fits in and is powered by a PCI slot! 🤣

That's neat... I assume it is intended to be used with the VGA output of the computer that it is installed in. To convert it to a 2 x 2 display matrix? Or are all four outputs identical?

Reply 1662 of 4600, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of my IT professors found out I liked old hardware, so he told me to stop by his office later because he had this:

aubvIXSl.jpg

Dell Dimension XPS T500

• Intel SE440BX-3 (OEM variant of the SE440BX-2)
    Pentium III 500Mhz
    Diamond Viper V770 (Riva TNT2)
    Sound Blaster Live!

I love this case and era of machines - this was Dell at their prime IMO. I'm thinking about buying a slotket and bringing the parts of my Dell Dimension 4100 over to this machine.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 1663 of 4600, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
Not so much found as bought from a scrapyard today for 5$ but here's what I got. :D […]
Show full quote

Not so much found as bought from a scrapyard today for 5$ but here's what I got. 😁

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbzl3p2.jpg

Seems about the same IBM Model M as mine, the last gen 3 mine is from 1997, only difference mine have the nice big enter EU standard, i don`t like keyboards with small enter...

Attachments

• rtrdet.jpg
    Filename
    rtrdet.jpg
    File size
    380.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • fdgdh.jpg
    Filename
    fdgdh.jpg
    File size
    445.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 1664 of 4600, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElementalChaos wrote:
One of my IT professors found out I liked old hardware, so he told me to stop by his office later because he had this: […]
Show full quote

One of my IT professors found out I liked old hardware, so he told me to stop by his office later because he had this:

aubvIXSl.jpg

Dell Dimension XPS T500

• Intel SE440BX-3 (OEM variant of the SE440BX-2)
    Pentium III 500Mhz
    Diamond Viper V770 (Riva TNT2)
    Sound Blaster Live!

I love this case and era of machines - this was Dell at their prime IMO. I'm thinking about buying a slotket and bringing the parts of my Dell Dimension 4100 over to this machine.

marry into his family

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1665 of 4600, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CelGen wrote:
This thing was in the garbage. […]
Show full quote

IMG_9346.jpg

Maybe a matrix output as noted above, or RGB+sync with someone using cheap RCA plugs instead of color coded BNC connectors?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1666 of 4600, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems i finally got f***king lucky and found and ASUS P3B-F ver: 1.04, BUT there is one problem, the seller knows only how to put the parts together and run them, and that`s about it, so he says there is some problem with the mobo, as it some times is not starting up, he says when he move the memory, or the CPU the board some time does not turn on black screen.
Of course i will get that mobo (i will not make the same mistake second time, as years ago i did found scrap guy that was dumping/trashing hardware to get gold, he did have P3B-F, but was about the same as that one here, was not 100% working and did have some problems, and i did not get the board, was very big mistake from me, but not this time..), but im wondering if there is a chance the problem to be permanent, bcuz if is some setting he make wrong, or dirty memory/CPU pins then will be great.. He also says when i asked him if the mobo is visually ok, it is no broken caps, and other....

There is also that on him MSI MS-6905 master, and i read there is a way to be Tualatin modded, no idea of the condition of that card, but it should be working...

I was looking for dirt cheap P3B-F since years, but nothing, only founded P2B...
Now i need to find Creative AWE 64 Gold (im having x2 AWE 64 Value 😵 😵 😒 😒 ), as im in pursuit of that card and P3B-F since maybe 5 years......

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 1667 of 4600, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
CelGen wrote:
This thing was in the garbage. […]
Show full quote

IMG_9346.jpg

Maybe a matrix output as noted above, or RGB+sync with someone using cheap RCA plugs instead of color coded BNC connectors?

Nope. It is strictly a composite scan converter with four identical outputs.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 1668 of 4600, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Believe it or not, I actually have a valid use-case for that - driving the Sony PVM-411 which is sitting unused in my rack. 😁 I can't see the utility of making all four monitors display the same thing, but it would look cool.

sony-pvm-411-4-screen-rack-mount-4-video-monitor-b-w-security-rm-broadcast-120v-4ac2b9bac92472e961261216f5bf40d3.jpg

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1669 of 4600, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Didn't find it, rather I had it brought to me for disposal. Got given a generic build with a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM motherboard, Athlon 64 X2 5600+, 320GB hard drive and 4GB RAM, some of which is faulty (The reason they're junking it, they'd rather use a different computer than pay for parts to fix this one 😜). It's a bit too new for my collection interests, but I might hold on to it for parts or possibly fix it up as a backup for an old computer I have set up to run and record some security cameras.

Reply 1670 of 4600, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
torindkflt wrote:

... Gigabyte GA-MA78GM motherboard, ...

If you end up using that board, I would recommend adding a fan to, or replacing, the flat orange northbridge heatsink (if yours is of the board revision that has it). I recall lots of reports of overheating issues with the NB chip on these, due to the heatsink being too short to receive much airflow from the CPU fan.

Reply 1671 of 4600, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This one has a silver and blue NB heatsink that sticks up farther from the board. I might still add a fan though, because the way the CPU HSF is oriented it's not blowing any air whatsoever towards it, so the only airflow the NB would be getting is ambient from the case fan.

Reply 1672 of 4600, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pulled a Dell P1130 21" CRT out of the recycle pile. Awesome looking monitor, dual VGA inputs, super sharp display at 1600x1200x85Hz & usably good at 2048x1536 (tried it!) Unfortunately there was something wrong with the signal levels, even at 0 brightness the blue was way too hot making it impossible to get a true black or accurate colours. The OSD was fine but the actual picture from either input was affected in the same way. I tried every adjustment & calibration mode I could but couldn't get it to bring the blue down far enough. Sadly it went back in the pile.

legendas-dell-p1130-monitor_11452794116.jpg
^^ Stock photo but you get the idea. It was a beast.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1673 of 4600, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested the monitor I pulled out of the trash a few days ago. I got it pretty wet when cleaning it off which is why I let it sit for a few days before testing it. Turns out it works fine! Guess this makes it monitor number 9 for my Packard Bell collection. 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc1scrs.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1674 of 4600, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Amazing picture for that CRT. Those might be built to last, and with the mounted speakers? That's class right there. I'm planning on hooking up the Medion MD 1998OF CRT that I have onto my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus as soon as I clear out my back room some more and turn the one spot as my computer lab. I have an IBM 2115-001 that needs repairs as the green signal has issues (possible corrosion in the D-Sub 15 port on the monitor itself, and luckily, I have a can of DeoxIt that I can attempt to fix the video connection on the monitor). My 19" (18" viewable) CRT can do 1600x1200 with a refresh rate up to 120Hz. Also, apparently, Google Groan doesn't like the words I type in here as it thinks certain words, or company names, for example, are spelt incorrectly.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1675 of 4600, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol Yeah I have the same problem with tablets and such, auto correct sucks in general. Although firefox is generally pretty spot on. As for the PB monitors, hell yeah they are stylish. They are a bit of a crap shoot as for quality and longevity. Some that I find (most suprisingly!) seem to work great but others will look faded or off color tint like your IBM one. The one on the corner PC there works great when it warms up but tends to turn yellow until then for some reason, I have another one under the desk that exhibits the faded look I mentioned before. It just looks super washed out for some reason. 😒 However most of these as I said seem to be in great condition, same with the computers. The earlier pre-Pentium stuff seems to be more flakey but this mid 90's gear is quite good. The computers are built like tanks. 😁

Reply 1676 of 4600, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Tested the monitor I pulled out of the trash a few days ago. I got it pretty wet when cleaning it off which is why I let it sit for a few days before testing it. Turns out it works fine! Guess this makes it monitor number 9 for my Packard Bell collection. 🤣

iieeeeeeee how is it not falling off that shelf?!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1677 of 4600, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

iieeeeeeee how is it not falling off that shelf?!

Totally safe! There's a fan blowing on it off camera.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 1678 of 4600, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol No it looks worse than it is (plus the lean of my floors pitch towards the middle of the house and this is a middle wall. 😜). I wouldn't have left it if it I even suspected it was going to fall but it wasn't even wobbly. 🤣

Reply 1679 of 4600, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

First time I have ever seen a Palit card. The backplate is made if thick metal and the heatsink is heavy too... almost feels bit like industrial style. The card looks really nice after cleaning except that I wasn't able to do anything about the scratches in the backplate.

Tried painting it matte gray?

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB