VOGONS

Reply 400 of 4633, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this lying on the pavement, I have no idea if it's even computer related but I saw some familiar connectors and decided to pick it up. Do any of you know what it could be?

aFOYgWdl.jpg?1

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 401 of 4633, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this old Keyboard laying near the trash containers, is still on the box and there still the original invoice with the date and price in pta

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-jbd … SE0&usp=sharing

EDIT: The keyboards works

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 402 of 4633, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:
Found this lying on the pavement, I have no idea if it's even computer related but I saw some familiar connectors and decided to […]
Show full quote

Found this lying on the pavement, I have no idea if it's even computer related but I saw some familiar connectors and decided to pick it up. Do any of you know what it could be?

aFOYgWdl.jpg?1

Looks like some sort of switching power supply...or something to do with telephone lines.
The resistor on the lower left is quite worn, probably bad hence why all that was thrown away.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 403 of 4633, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Found this old Keyboard laying near the trash containers, is still on the box and there still the original invoice with the date and price in pta

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-jbd … SE0&usp=sharing

EDIT: The keyboards works

Wow, that's awesome! Looks like a solid old keyboard to me... the box is a major plus!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 404 of 4633, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pair of MSI 9500GT DDR3 cards. Wondering if I should use them instead of my 7900GTX SLI pair 🤣. It would be slightly slower but use way less power

Reply 405 of 4633, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like some sort of switching power supply...or something to do with telephone lines.
The resistor on the lower left is quite worn, probably bad hence why all that was thrown away.

Thanks for the info. I guess it'll go to recycling then 😀

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 406 of 4633, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, found this probably isn't the right word, it was laying around in my band's practice space:

Hyundai ImageQuest QV770:
fgb9c84.jpg

Well, it isn't as good as my Belinea 17", but it was free and in good condition 😀

Reply 407 of 4633, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oerk wrote:
Well, found this probably isn't the right word, it was laying around in my band's practice space: […]
Show full quote

Well, found this probably isn't the right word, it was laying around in my band's practice space:

Hyundai ImageQuest QV770:
fgb9c84.jpg

Well, it isn't as good as my Belinea 17", but it was free and in good condition 😀

Damn! That has to be the ugliest looking monitor I have ever seen 🤣 .

8zszli-6.png

Reply 409 of 4633, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oerk wrote:
Aideka wrote:

Damn! That has to be the ugliest looking monitor I have ever seen 🤣 .

Yup 😵

They drank deep from the Apple Studio Display kool-aid but didn't realise someone had spiked it. With LSD.

(I actually like it. A lot. 😜 )

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 410 of 4633, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen worse CRTs 🤣 but it has been a long time though.

Trash picked a Compaq Presario on my way home, am2 era shitpaq with possibly dodgy psu and crippled asus board. Case while filthy looks to be in great condition so might board swap after cleaning. Even had or has Vista basic (vomits in mouth).

At least it was free 😀

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 411 of 4633, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:
Found this lying on the pavement, I have no idea if it's even computer related but I saw some familiar connectors and decided to […]
Show full quote

aFOYgWdl.jpg?1

Maybe a simply sort of power supply?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 412 of 4633, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a dumpster find. My neighbor's moving so he gave me this stuff.

19" Viewsonic monitor. Going by the picture it produces, I've guessing it's a VA panel. 23" Benq monitor. Panasonic DVD recorder. Early to mid-90s Sony AV receiver. Compaq Presario R3000 laptop. 4GB of DDR2-667 DIMMs.
mleFMrr.jpg

The Sony receiver.
q2SvVHb.jpg

This Sony is one of the Dolby Pro-Logic AVRs that were all the rage during the Laserdisc days. 🙄 Doesn't support discrete surround formats at all. I'm really happy to have this. I currently use an older Kenwood mini system for all of my retro PCs and Laserdisc viewing. I've been itching for something with more than 3 inputs. This baby has six and a phono input! Groovy!
8zmkZ0m.jpg

The Presario laptop. Athlon XP-M 2800+, Geforce 420 Go, 512MB of RAM, 60GB hard drive.
vAgwHTa.jpg
byjqe9B.jpg

What's this? An Athlon XP with SSE2? 😉
TK1VFul.jpg

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 413 of 4633, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow... for a second after looking at that Athlon XP with SSE2, I thought it may be the lost holy grail to resurrect Socket A systems that are crippled by their lack of SSE2. Then I saw "socket 754", reality set in and I decided it was more likely to be some absurd renaming thing on AMD's part.

Sadly, that's the case:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Ath … C_Socket_754.29

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 414 of 4633, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote:
Not a dumpster find. My neighbor's moving so he gave me this stuff. The Presario laptop. Athlon XP-M 2800+, Geforce 420 Go, 512M […]
Show full quote

The Presario laptop. Athlon XP-M 2800+, Geforce 420 Go, 512MB of RAM, 60GB hard drive.
vAgwHTa.jpg
byjqe9B.jpg

What's this? An Athlon XP with SSE2? 😉
TK1VFul.jpg

That is not really an Athlon XP, rather a renamed mobile Semprom, there are only 3 models and is not really common here;
Mobile Athlon XP-M 2800+ = Mobile Semprom 2600+ (SMN2600BIX2AY)
Mobile Athlon XP-M 3000+ = Mobile Semprom 2800+ (SMN2800BIX3AY)
Mobile Athlon XP-M 3100+ = Mobile Semprom 3000+ (SMN3000BIX2AY)

None of them support 64 Bit

Reply 415 of 4633, by sgraffite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found two beige box PCs. Once is a P4 2.8GHz and the other is a PIII 533B. They both POST.

The P4 didn't have any cards in it.

The PIII uses RAMBUS (ew). It has these components:
Diamond Viper V770 (TNT2 Ultra!)
Sound Blaster Live!
ZiVA PC mpeg2 decoder
384MB RAM
40GB IDE Seagate HDD

Reply 416 of 4633, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a box with tons of floppies (3.5 and 5.25 inch), some CDs and even few DVDs. Also an old Packard Bell Multimedia GL 1332 which i coudln't find any info of it. Some other stuff i found are a sealed CD of Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, a DVD of Star Wars Episode 1 (videogame), Microsoft Golf and Outlook 98 in them, there more i'll list and upload more pics later

The specs are:
Pentium MMX 233
32 MB RAM
S3 Trio64V+ Integrated
AZTECH Soundcard
Seagate 10.2 GB HDD
Windows ME

Attachments

• 20160715_181322.jpg
    Filename
    20160715_181322.jpg
    File size
    1.72 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    All i found
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20160715_181327.jpg
    Filename
    20160715_181327.jpg
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Box
    File license
  • 20160715_181332.jpg
    Filename
    20160715_181332.jpg
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Packard Bell PC
    File license
  • 20160715_214847.jpg
    Filename
    20160715_214847.jpg
    File size
    1.33 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    OS
    File license
  • 20160715_182557.jpg
    Filename
    20160715_182557.jpg
    File size
    1.47 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    lots of disks
    File license

Reply 417 of 4633, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OH MY GAWD, You have a nice Packard Bell there! Those models aren't too common here in the states but that's the case style after NEC bought them out. I'm a collector of Packard Bell computers, for the models that were here in the states I have almost every case style except three. Meaning I have six machines. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 418 of 4633, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote:
Not a dumpster find. My neighbor's moving so he gave me this stuff. […]
Show full quote

The Sony receiver.
q2SvVHb.jpg

This Sony is one of the Dolby Pro-Logic AVRs that were all the rage during the Laserdisc days. 🙄 Doesn't support discrete surround formats at all. I'm really happy to have this. I currently use an older Kenwood mini system for all of my retro PCs and Laserdisc viewing. I've been itching for something with more than 3 inputs. This baby has six and a phono input! Groovy!

8zmkZ0m.jpg

My folks have that exact same receiver. Bought it brand new, along with two Bose speakers, and a Sony dual-cassette player, in 1993.

Reply 419 of 4633, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two week ago I picked up a Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM that was left out in the rain for a while and got water inside the panel. It would power up but the picture would dissapear after 2 seconds. I figured it was the power supply and after googling for about 5 minutes, I discovered that there was a common fault with this model - a transformer that goes bad. Ordered one from China, replaced it and it works! The water that was inside the panel evaporated while we were away on holiday 😀 There are still a couple of spots on the screen but I'll try to ignore them.

On the other hand, I picked up one Phenom X3 machine with no RAM, a Core2Duo machine with no hard drive and two Lenovo Thinkcentre machines, one of which has two bad caps on the motherboard. All in all, not a bad haul 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png