VOGONS

Reply 4580 of 4609, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dm- wrote on 2024-03-05, 04:46:

Just got from my scrap yard.

Please identify this dual slot 1 mobo, did not find anything like it on retroweb.

labeling is HATTERAS Design by IBM 1997

Dual Slot 1, onboard SCSI, AGP, Crystal audio, and an ISA slot? That's a nice kit right there. Probably a 440BX. You even get a terminator card.

Good luck finding a rear I/O shield though. You will have to 3D print one, for sure. Check to see if it has standard ATX (maybe E-ATX) before getting too excited. You're going to have problems if it can't even be fitted into a case.

Reply 4581 of 4609, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dm- wrote on 2024-03-05, 03:45:
cpu.jpg […]
Show full quote

cpu.jpg

scored 19 pcs of 800/256/100 cpu's w/o case and coolers 🙁
and one 1000/256/133 with cooler.

just one cpu not working, some smd missing.

Now, those are nice upgrades for BX motherboards, it's like the 800EB were more plentiful (and mostly in FCPGA)

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 4582 of 4609, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elcrys wrote on 2024-01-30, 20:07:
According to this the monitor drops frames on anything over 60 Hz: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=23561& … 3a4ae73f#p235 […]
Show full quote
dormcat wrote on 2024-01-29, 01:56:
CrFr wrote on 2024-01-28, 13:22:

Salvaged this little monitor from recycling bin at work. Dell 2007FP 20", with LG IPS panel. 4:3, 1600x1200, DVI, VGA, composite, S-video, 4-port USB hub. Height ajustable stand with pivot. Not very retro itself, but very usable with lot different of retro hardware, thanks to the aspect ratio, high resolution and wide range of connectors. Almost perfect cosmetic condition and not a single scratch on the screen.

This is probably the dream monitor for not just retro computing but vintage TV programs as well. Hard to believe one in working order got recycled.

According to this the monitor drops frames on anything over 60 Hz:
https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=23561& … 3a4ae73f#p23561

This doesn't look like a dream monitor, at least not for DOS games.

I have two of them, can happily confirm they run DOS games perfectly, have yet to find a DOS game they have issues with (Im sure someone will bring up some obscure DOS game using an equally obscure display mode). From what I can tell its not dropping the frames, it is doing frame conversion for rates above 60Hz that allows the game to still sync correctly with the panel.

Having done far to much research the perfect panel doesn't exist unless you have the budget for the ASUS Pro Art panel and even then you still sacrifice things to get the perfect 75Hz sync for DOS.

If you want perfect then stick to CRT and grab a 21" Sony Tinitron with as many inputs as you can, perfect doesn't exist in the LCD world but the DELL 2007FP is pretty close and doesn't cost you your next two pay checks.

Reply 4583 of 4609, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dm- wrote on 2024-03-05, 03:45:
cpu.jpg […]
Show full quote

cpu.jpg

scored 19 pcs of 800/256/100 cpu's w/o case and coolers 🙁
and one 1000/256/133 with cooler.

just one cpu not working, some smd missing.

just appreciating the artistry in your arrangement for the picture 😀

Reply 4584 of 4609, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First time in a while I've found anything of interest in the Craigslist free section. This is one of two identical free cases. Both have the original cheapo Mustang 350 watt PSUs; this one only has the floppy and the CDROM for hardware, while the other has the floppy drive and an Intel D845WN motherboard with a 1.6 GHz P4. I added some SDRAM and a video card to that one, and it fired right up! I guess I'll Ebay the motherboard, and use these cases as upgrades for a couple of systems I have that are in beat up vintage cases (both of these cases are in mint condition, not a scratch on them anywhere). So rare to find a case with the front USB port door intact.

Edit: Sadly, the CDROM isn't reading disks (I disassembled it, no change), but the motherboard is working fine - I just installed Windows 2000 without any issues. I guess that isn't too surprising; my own experience and from what I've read of others, Intel/Intel motherboards are very durable. It's unfortunate how often they limit upgrades and what you can set in the CMOS settings, but I can certainly see the appeal for commercial applications.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4585 of 4609, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-03-16, 22:45:

First time in a while I've found anything of interest in the Craigslist free section. This is one of two identical free cases. Both have the original cheapo Mustang 350 watt PSUs; this one only has the floppy and the CDROM for hardware, while the other has the floppy drive and an Intel D845WN motherboard with a 1.6 GHz P4. I added some SDRAM and a video card to that one, and it fired right up! I guess I'll Ebay the motherboard, and use these cases as upgrades for a couple of systems I have that are in beat up vintage cases (both of these cases are in mint condition, not a scratch on them anywhere). So rare to find a case with the front USB port door intact.

Edit: Sadly, the CDROM isn't reading disks (I disassembled it, no change), but the motherboard is working fine - I just installed Windows 2000 without any issues. I guess that isn't too surprising; my own experience and from what I've read of others, Intel/Intel motherboards are very durable. It's unfortunate how often they limit upgrades and what you can set in the CMOS settings, but I can certainly see the appeal for commercial applications.

after seeing that tower, god knows how often i fixed those up. keep it close to your heart.

iami

Reply 4586 of 4609, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-03-16, 22:45:

Haha, I have the same CDROM in my server, put into an even older case.
For what? It's a kind of theft protection. No one will steal such an old computer!

Reply 4587 of 4609, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was cleaning out my inherited garage and stumbled across an IBM AC adapter (P/N 85G6695). Interesting design, very neat when coiled up.

Quite confused as to where it came from, my dad worked for Olivetti and we never had any IBM kit as a result.

No use for it myself so might throw it in the hardware giveaway thread seeing as the only one on eBay is an extortionate amount of $$$.

Reply 4588 of 4609, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's e-waste season at the local madhouse again so I quickly snatched this P4 IBM with a 9600 Pro. The somewhat interesting part is the flawless battery radio with USB, CD and bluetooth speaker functions and good speaker quality. Maybe the previous owner wanted a better brand. I also found two IBM SK-8820 PS2 keyboards, they are excellent workhorses with the standard IBM layout and no extra buttons. Just how I like it.

Attachments

• 193645.jpg
    Filename
    193645.jpg
    File size
    1.77 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4589 of 4609, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also managed to snag 2 working matrix printers and some weird medical scope thing. It was a good run.

Attachments

• 20240410_073715.jpg
    Filename
    20240410_073715.jpg
    File size
    1.35 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20240410_073628.jpg
    Filename
    20240410_073628.jpg
    File size
    1.13 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20240410_074133.jpg
    Filename
    20240410_074133.jpg
    File size
    1.35 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4590 of 4609, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mandrew wrote on 2024-04-10, 05:49:

Also managed to snag 2 working matrix printers and some weird medical scope thing. It was a good run.

can you tell us if you found out more about that 'myotest scope' from omszov? looks interesting

Reply 4591 of 4609, by ccronk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's English. Has a "mains" bulb. Don't plug it into an American outlet. Op needs to take a better photo so we can see more of the control labels.

Judging by what I can see, it's probably a very basic oscilloscope.

Reply 4592 of 4609, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think it is a oscilloscope at all. BNC connectors are labeled as "output". Maybe it is one of those electrotherapy machines for muscle pain relief. Could be the CRT is there just to monitor the output.

Reply 4593 of 4609, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrFr wrote on 2024-04-12, 06:14:

I don't think it is a oscilloscope at all. BNC connectors are labeled as "output". Maybe it is one of those electrotherapy machines for muscle pain relief. Could be the CRT is there just to monitor the output.

The prefix myo does mean muscle and the suffix scope means it's a device for viewing or examining something. Most of my Google results were just people trying to sell stuff, but I did find a few articles in google scholar mentioning the term. For example:

"In addition, a myoscope is now available which permanently records, by
means of a magnetic tape, electromyographic patterns. This tape can be
played back through the instrument and faithfully reproduces, visually
and acoustically, the muscle action potentials as recorded at the time of the
original examination."

https://thejns.org/view/journals/j-neurosurg/ … rticle-p595.xml

Interestingly, there weren't many hits, especially for a medical device. One possibility is that myo-scope or myo-scope are infrequently used terms for the device. Another possibility is that it never caught on as a medical device. A lot of the hits were from papers from the 30s through to the 50s, so it may be an older technology that wasn't used much.

Reply 4595 of 4609, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-04-12, 06:41:
CrFr wrote on 2024-04-12, 06:14:

The prefix myo does mean muscle and the suffix scope means it's a device for viewing or examining something. Most of my Google results were just people trying to sell stuff, but I did find a few articles in google scholar mentioning the term. For example:

yes, i think its a physio therapy thing based on

http://omszov-medic.hu/termekek

with same logo, the company seems to do medical & physio type stuff

maybe Mandrew can confirm 😀 also, maybe the printers came from the same place, all interesting anyway!

Reply 4596 of 4609, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So today my father-in-law heard me telling stories about how difficult it was to find vintage IT stuff and said to me: "hold on, I may have something of interest for you".

I was expecting some low end lackluster Celeron computer of some kind, BUT he came back with this:

20240414_191723.jpg
Filename
20240414_191723.jpg
File size
737.61 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20240414_191739.jpg
Filename
20240414_191739.jpg
File size
443.89 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20240414_191800.jpg
Filename
20240414_191800.jpg
File size
604.44 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It's a Compaq LTE Lite 25 - it is powered by a 385SL25 according to this doc: https://www.1000bit.it/ad/bro/compaq/Compaq-LTE-Family.pdf The laptop came with an external 3.5" floppy drive which connects on the parallel port apparently.

The power brick seems dead. I hope it's just a broken fuse or something, since it has a proprietary connector finding a replacement is not going to be easy.

It is in reasonably good condition - unfortunately there are cracks around one of the hinge on the back of the screen.

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live!

Reply 4597 of 4609, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, shame about the hinge, but everything around this old can have similar problems.

Is it the 120 degree 3 pin power socket on that one? Also what part of the world are you in? possibly I have a solution.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4599 of 4609, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mtest001 wrote on 2024-04-14, 19:26:
So today my father-in-law heard me telling stories about how difficult it was to find vintage IT stuff and said to me: "hold on, […]
Show full quote

So today my father-in-law heard me telling stories about how difficult it was to find vintage IT stuff and said to me: "hold on, I may have something of interest for you".

I was expecting some low end lackluster Celeron computer of some kind, BUT he came back with this:

20240414_191723.jpg

20240414_191739.jpg

20240414_191800.jpg

It's a Compaq LTE Lite 25 - it is powered by a 385SL25 according to this doc: https://www.1000bit.it/ad/bro/compaq/Compaq-LTE-Family.pdf The laptop came with an external 3.5" floppy drive which connects on the parallel port apparently.

The power brick seems dead. I hope it's just a broken fuse or something, since it has a proprietary connector finding a replacement is not going to be easy.

It is in reasonably good condition - unfortunately there are cracks around one of the hinge on the back of the screen.

gee what a shame i used to have a computer like that except it had a floppy drive and had to use a universal adapter for rc cars to get it working and i think it was a brother laptop but it was so useless just typing files that i gave it to a museum or collector

iami