VOGONS

Reply 620 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
c0keb0ttle wrote:

Trust is just a company that imports from Chinese suppliers and puts their own brand name on the stuff. Very common practice, and usually they at least have some sort of quality control. Deltaco is another one, here in Sweden.

I see the Trust brand quite often in electronics stores, but a bit less nowadays because many stores actually imports products on their own and sets their own special brand names on the generic products.

This seems like the equivalent of my Shark branded "600 watt" PSU I had until it literally melted the end of the cord that plugs into the PSU. I wasn't even running it at load, I think i had 400-ish watts on it MAYBE (An E8400, an 8800GTX, a couple of hard drives and a soundcard). Turned out to be a rebranded 400 watt. I'm surprised it booted at all.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 621 of 4609, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Just to be clear, I have seen worse. At least it has filters on the output!

Still, anemic input filtering, individual diodes instead of a FWR bridge, small primary transformer. These are all bad signs.

+1. Input is crappy but the board is quite well populated. Secondary filtering is quite ok and not cramped.

Reply 622 of 4609, by Dmetsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just found an Optiplex 755 at the recycling facility. Q6600, 2GB of PC2-5300, 3.5" floppy drive, DVDRW. All it needs is a hard drive and the fan bracket w/ the cooling fan. It POSTS fine. I may end up upgrading it to 8GB of RAM and throw in an SSD later on down the road.

A7N8X-LA | 2800+ | GeForce2 MX400 | Audigy 2 ZS
BE6-II 1.0 | PIII-933 | Viper 770 TNT2 | Live 5.1 Value
MS-5169 | K6-2 450 | Voodoo3 3000 AGP | AWE64 Value
P5A-B | P200-S | 64MB | MGA Millennium | Yamaha 719
LS-486E | Am5x86-P75

Reply 623 of 4609, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, guys and gals. Had a nice roadside find today. Unfortunately most of it was junk, but I did keep various parts.

Dell Dimension 4100 (Pentium III 1GHz). Salvaged the Turtle Beach sound card, CPU and heatsink.
Dell Dimension XPS 4100 P133C. Salvaged the front bezel, motherboard, RAM, CPU, and Dell cache card.
Unknown Compaq with Pentium II unknown speed. Early era PII and 440FX chipset; uses 72pin memory. Salvaged only the Pentium II and the cool blower fan.
Unknown Compaq tower with an Intel 486DX2 66, 5.25" Teac floppy, and Creative Labs SB-16 and SB CD-ROM were tossed (all rusty). Saved the memory and CPU.
Generic system with Pentium 4 2.53GHz / 512K / 533. Board and chip only - both tossed (very bad condition).

Annnnnd...the gem of the bunch:
Antec case with an Asus CUV4X-?

DSCF4353.JPG
Filename
DSCF4353.JPG
File size
288.48 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

motherboard covered in snow. Dual socket 370 board with two PIII-S 1266 / 512 / 133, and 1GB of PC133 (2x512MB) RAM with heatspreaders. Scrapped only the case and kept the board. I'll soak it in water and alcohol to clean it off. Hopefully it's still good. The serial port headers are a bit rusty, but not too bad.

Attachments

• DSCF4345.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF4345.JPG
    File size
    408.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF4322.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF4322.JPG
    File size
    307.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF4313.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF4313.JPG
    File size
    388.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF4311.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF4311.JPG
    File size
    296.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Brickpad on 2017-01-06, 22:42. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 624 of 4609, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More pictures...

Attachments

• DSCF4358.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF4358.JPG
    File size
    146.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF4331.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF4331.JPG
    File size
    304.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF4329.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF4329.JPG
    File size
    178.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF4327.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF4327.JPG
    File size
    358.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF4362.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF4362.JPG
    File size
    643.35 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 625 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the dual CPU asus motherboard is an ASUS CUV4X-D which is a dual CPU mobo based on the VIA 694XDP, it doesn't officially support tualatin, so it came with adapters, you are very lucky since these adapters are very rare

Nice S3 Vision 968 card there

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 626 of 4609, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice haul, Brickpad! Some pretty amazing stuff in there. It was all together? Like same person dumped it all?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 627 of 4609, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
Found these guys last week! Probably not going to keep the HP Pavillion but man that Commodore monitor is MINE FOREVER. lol […]
Show full quote

Found these guys last week! Probably not going to keep the HP Pavillion but man that Commodore monitor is MINE FOREVER. 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dassec3.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dasnake.jpg

For some reason I really love the style of these low end crap computers marketed to those without much money, you gonna sell that? It's even in box with original monitor 🤣 🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 628 of 4609, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Nice haul, Brickpad! Some pretty amazing stuff in there. It was all together? Like same person dumped it all?

Yeah, I was driving down the street and passed by a house with all of them sitting at the end of the driveway. I wasn't sure if they were computers at first, so I turned around and hauled butt before the garbage truck made its way over. Glad I did! I'm really hoping that dual socket370 board works. I'm going to soak it really good in soap and water. 😀

[EDIT]

I just realized that it also has AGP Pro, and supports up to 4GB of PC-133!

Reply 629 of 4609, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ASUS had a thing for supporting AGP Pro pretty much across their whole product line for a while. They also supported ECC RAM whenever possible.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 630 of 4609, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Carlos S. M. wrote:

the dual CPU asus motherboard is an ASUS CUV4X-D which is a dual CPU mobo based on the VIA 694XDP, it doesn't officially support tualatin, so it came with adapters, you are very lucky since these adapters are very rare

Nice S3 Vision 968 card there

I own those exact motherboard and videocard - the ASUS CUV4X-D is a nice mobo, I'm currently using it in my Windows 2k rig based on dual Pentium III 800EB. I've to test yet that Vision 968 VGA card, pretty much larger than all other S3 cards I have.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 631 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Brickpad wrote:
OK, guys and gals. Had a nice roadside find today. Unfortunately most of it was junk, but I did keep various parts. Annnnnd...th […]
Show full quote

OK, guys and gals. Had a nice roadside find today. Unfortunately most of it was junk, but I did keep various parts.
Annnnnd...the gem of the bunch:
Antec case with an Asus CUV4X-?

DSCF4353.JPG

The adapter looks like a linlin adapter, it's a real treasure! I happen to have one boxed and iirc it came with a manual. If you happen to need it (a copy of the manual that is 😜) feel free to ask and I'll go find it for you 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 632 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up this little beauty from work, which was sitting in a display cabinet and was due to be chucked. EISA / VLB combo, well documented, cfg files apparently downloadable, and even came with an EISA SCSI controller. ISA for sound, VLB for graphics, add some cache and a DX2-66 and this should make a very tidy little DOS gaming setup.

If it works...

20170109_175535.jpg
Filename
20170109_175535.jpg
File size
2.02 MiB
Views
File license

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 634 of 4609, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See that Dallas block? It's an RTC, realtime clock module. Those were used commonly on older boards.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 635 of 4609, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had this come back from a customer site today. You can't tell from the picture, but I really cannot emphasize enough how dusty and dirty the inside of this machine is. You can kind of see it on the last PCI slot... it's just coated in this black crap. No idea where the customer had it for it to be so disgusting.

Anyway, its an Intel board with a Pentium 4 and 4 x 512MB of RAM... not quite sure the exact model of the CPU, as it won't boot. Pretty sure it's a bad power supply, so should be able to get it in working order.

Attachments

• 20170112_152414_s.jpg
    Filename
    20170112_152414_s.jpg
    File size
    1.23 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 636 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RJDog wrote:

Had this come back from a customer site today. You can't tell from the picture, but I really cannot emphasize enough how dusty and dirty the inside of this machine is. You can kind of see it on the last PCI slot... it's just coated in this black crap. No idea where the customer had it for it to be so disgusting.

Anyway, its an Intel board with a Pentium 4 and 4 x 512MB of RAM... not quite sure the exact model of the CPU, as it won't boot. Pretty sure it's a bad power supply, so should be able to get it in working order.

board looks like an Intel D865GBF since it seems to have onboard video, is based on the Intel 865G, it can also be an Intel D865PERC (Intel 865PE) in the case the board has no onboard video and the original video card was removed

Reply 637 of 4609, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RJDog wrote:

not quite sure the exact model of the CPU

Socket 478, 1.8Ghz Pentium 4 Northwood. Score!

Carlos S. M. wrote:

board looks like an Intel D865GBF since it seems to have onboard video

That is precisely what it is... D865GBF. Seems like a nice board.

Reply 638 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, Intel boards are known for begin quality and rocksolid stable, since is an i865 based mobo, it does support all socket 478 P4s, even HT models, depending of your mobo revision, it can support Prescott and gallatin P4 EE in later revisions, older are limited to Northwood models (max CPU begin the P4 3.4C Ghz Northwood HT SL793 in the case it doesn't support Prescott nor Gallatin)

Reply 639 of 4609, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
oeuvre wrote:

See that Dallas block? It's an RTC, realtime clock module. Those were used commonly on older boards.

So the batt is inside of it?