VOGONS


Reply 80 of 2704, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

W7MxaoU.jpg

Taken from an OEM Pentium 4 box. From left to right: a Linksys WMP54G PCI wireless card, a 256MB PC133 SDRAM stick, an ASUS V3800M 32MB AGP video card (TNT M64), and an 80GB WD hard drive. Didn't drag the rest of the system home, though.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 81 of 2704, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Didn't exactly dive into a dumpster to get this but almost. A friend of mine was about to throw all this to the dumpster if i didn't get it, so i did.

20151110_213129_zpsvdjsqx2n.jpg

20151110_213255_zpsavosdpgg.jpg

20151110_213308_zps1ezr2c8f.jpg

20151110_213324_zpsqfcqf56o.jpg

20151110_213346_zpsjcvjyiq8.jpg.html

20151110_213346_zpsjcvjyiq8.jpg

20151110_213406_zpsuzfajtcf.jpg

In these photos you have a Genius Keyboard, a 17" LCD Philips monitor, one vga cable, two power cables, a really worn and beaten up Asus laptop (also got the power brick, also quite beaten) and a computer tower with a Pentium 4 3Ghz (socket 775), Geforce 6600GT passive cooled PCI-E, 2GB of DDR2 and a 500Gb sata HDD.
The only thing not working is the laptop, that if i can get it to work again, i plan on using as a cheap DVR for a single surveillance camera

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 82 of 2704, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick6 wrote:

In these photos you have a Genius Keyboard, a 17" LCD Philips monitor, one vga cable, two power cables, a really worn and beaten up Asus laptop (also got the power brick, also quite beaten) and a computer tower with a Pentium 4 3Ghz (socket 775), Geforce 6600GT passive cooled PCI-E, 2GB of DDR2 and a 500Gb sata HDD.

... and one laser-cat. 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 83 of 2704, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Stiletto wrote:
rick6 wrote:

In these photos you have a Genius Keyboard, a 17" LCD Philips monitor, one vga cable, two power cables, a really worn and beaten up Asus laptop (also got the power brick, also quite beaten) and a computer tower with a Pentium 4 3Ghz (socket 775), Geforce 6600GT passive cooled PCI-E, 2GB of DDR2 and a 500Gb sata HDD.

... and one laser-cat. 😁

True 🤣 He can be quite a stalker some times!

The laptop is a Core2duo T2250 with a nvidia geforce 7xxx of some variant. After disassembling it cleaning all the gunk and unbending some miniscule pin connectors on the inverter board there was life again, it works. The shattered hinge is proving to be very difficult to fix without replacing parts which implies that i need to waste money on this laptop which is a big no no!

Also i was planning on using it as a surveillance DVR for a single camera but the board only supports PATA, and the only pata harddrives i have are only 100 and 120 gb which is way too little. If only i could find a way to use a sata hard drive without making a big mess of wires going in and out of the laptop..

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 84 of 2704, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rick6 wrote:

The laptop is a Core2duo T2250 with a nvidia geforce 7xxx of some variant. After disassembling it cleaning all the gunk and unbending some miniscule pin connectors on the inverter board there was life again, it works. The shattered hinge is proving to be very difficult to fix without replacing parts which implies that i need to waste money on this laptop which is a big no no!

Also i was planning on using it as a surveillance DVR for a single camera but the board only supports PATA, and the only pata harddrives i have are only 100 and 120 gb which is way too little. If only i could find a way to use a sata hard drive without making a big mess of wires going in and out of the laptop..

Might take a bit too much power without Optimus when running all the time. You might want to measure power usage before you continue.
Regarding notebook hard disks: I wonder if those 2.5" SATA/PATA adapters are finally small enough to fit inside a notebook. They are certainly cheap enough:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/141540039508?_trksid=p … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This seems to be the same adapter:
http://www.amazon.de/Adaptare-46216-Adapter-P … 7239981&sr=1-11
The seller writes that it should fit with most notebooks.
Customers reviews are ambiguous.

Reply 85 of 2704, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

My ideal power consumption target would be something around 20\30 watts. I havent measured this laptop but i'm gessing something around 40 to 50 watts without battery and with the LCD turned off. The Pentium 4 3Ghz would be way worse. Most likely the whole thing would consume around 90 or more watts while idling.

As for that adapter, even though it's quite small, i don't care what anyone says, that little thing would never fit this laptop, or practically any laptop with a fullsize harddrive\ssd. Maybe with some extension of some sort i could place it inside the optical drive compartment.

Last edited by rick6 on 2015-11-11, 11:34. Edited 1 time in total.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 86 of 2704, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
tayyare wrote:
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote:
Robin4 wrote:

I have that version in three different types here..
A new big tower i purchased in my country
Got the desktop version here, and also that one on that picture minitower.

That's amazing really, USA, UK, Netherlands and Australia all have that same style case, essentially worldwide.

Add Turkey to the list. I did not own any of them but sold and serviced a lot during the times (mid-late 90's).

Same here, so add Argentina.

Now its worldwide 😎

Reply 87 of 2704, by l.neidlinger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

A friend of mine works for an IT company as was cleaning out their back room. Ran across a few P1 and P2 laptops, but they both were cactus.

I did, however, find this nice little computer sitting in a corner. It appears to have been a voicemail server in a previous life. I had to rip the HD out for obvious reasons (though according to the note on the front, it was dead,) but it boots right up and posts, even had the correct date. Has a later board that supports and ATX or AT psu and supports 72 pin SIMMs or PC66 ram. Has a stick of 32MB PC66 with a 166Mhz P1.

I also picked up a Fujitsu Stylistic 3500 tablet computer. Don't know anything about it yet, waiting on a new power adapter. From what I can find it has a 500Mhz Celeron, 256MB ram, and a 15GB hard drive. No cd and no floppy drive, so hopefully it has a OS already on it.

r6RZNpw.jpg

Reply 88 of 2704, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
l.neidlinger wrote:
I did, however, find this nice little computer sitting in a corner. It appears to have been a voicemail server in a previous lif […]
Show full quote

I did, however, find this nice little computer sitting in a corner. It appears to have been a voicemail server in a previous life.

r6RZNpw.jpg

Excellent find! Does it have a big ISA card in it with RJ15 ports on the back? Amusingly, this is how I upgraded from a PIII to a P4. My company's voicemail server died so they ordered a brand new 1.6Ghz Willamette machine to replace it. But it had no ISA slot for the voice card so I martyred myself by kindly offering to swap the motherboard for my own ISA-boasting 800Mhz PIII.I've still got the P4 system but the caps are ruined.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 89 of 2704, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a cart full of Sun equipment for the low cost of free. One Sun Ultra Enterprise 2 and parts from around 6 or so other Sun machines. Stack of proprietary ps/2 keyboards and mice, like 5 extra video cards, a literal stack of extra ram, and around 10 SCSI hard drives. A couple of them are 10 or 15k Cheetahs "Drool".

Main pc: Asus Rampage Gene ii, X5650, 250gb Samsung Evo, RX480, 12gb Crucial DDR3 1600.

Reply 90 of 2704, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Picked up a cart full of Sun equipment for the low cost of free. One Sun Ultra Enterprise 2 and parts from around 6 or so other Sun machines. Stack of proprietary ps/2 keyboards and mice, like 5 extra video cards, a literal stack of extra ram, and around 10 SCSI hard drives. A couple of them are 10 or 15k Cheetahs "Drool".

I've got some Sun stuff but I have NO IDEA how to use it. Do you have any experience? I can only find indecipherable official docs online.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 91 of 2704, by l.neidlinger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
brassicGamer wrote:
l.neidlinger wrote:

I did, however, find this nice little computer sitting in a corner. It appears to have been a voicemail server in a previous life.

Excellent find! Does it have a big ISA card in it with RJ15 ports on the back? Amusingly, this is how I upgraded from a PIII to a P4. My company's voicemail server died so they ordered a brand new 1.6Ghz Willamette machine to replace it. But it had no ISA slot for the voice card so I martyred myself by kindly offering to swap the motherboard for my own ISA-boasting 800Mhz PIII.I've still got the P4 system but the caps are ruined.

It has three actually. They are hot glued into the ISA slots as well. I asked my friend about this, and he said "yeah, that's typical phone tech stuff."

ufGubl7.jpg

Reply 92 of 2704, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Picked up a cart full of Sun equipment for the low cost of free. One Sun Ultra Enterprise 2 and parts from around 6 or so other Sun machines. Stack of proprietary ps/2 keyboards and mice, like 5 extra video cards, a literal stack of extra ram, and around 10 SCSI hard drives. A couple of them are 10 or 15k Cheetahs "Drool".

I've got some Sun stuff but I have NO IDEA how to use it. Do you have any experience? I can only find indecipherable official docs online.

I guess it depends on the generation since the newer stuff is fairly standard. Mine is from around 1998ish? You can install a few different Linux distros including Debian and Redhat. Or you can use Solaris, Free/OpenBSD. No standard slots, it uses a proprietary Sun slot for everything. Heck it doesnt even use a standard VGA, Im going to have to use a S-video to Composite adapter to get any video output at all from it. Also to note you can not intermix standard PC floppy drives or CD drives! There is even an obscure key combination to access the bios xD

Main pc: Asus Rampage Gene ii, X5650, 250gb Samsung Evo, RX480, 12gb Crucial DDR3 1600.

Reply 93 of 2704, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a few systems over at the dump today. There were three of them that I could see: a slimline i5 Dell Inspiron system (yes you read that right), an HP server that was in really rough shape, and another system that I'll get to shortly. After I packed away the mystery system in the back of my truck, as well as grabbing 1GB worth of DDR400 ECC RAM out of the server, I returned to pick up the i5 system, when the guy who ran the dump today noticed me and told me to put it back - not because of any fears of me stealing personal information, but because they couldn't let go of any discarded metal. Oh well. I might go back there Monday to see if it's still there. At least the mystery system I picked up arrived safely home with me...

TqPVMOLl.jpg

Yup. Another OEM PIII box, this one an eMachines eMonster 600. Seems like every other week over the past couple of months, I've found a PIII system at the dump. This one, however, is really interesting...

9yot5EVl.jpg

Specs:
--Slot 1 Pentium III 600MHz
--440BX micro ATX motherboard
--64MB PC100 RAM
--nVidia TNT2 Vanta 8MB AGP
--Avance Logic ALS4000 sound card (on top of the integrated Crystal sound card)
--20GB Trigem (Samsung) SV2044D HDD
--54x Mistumi CD-ROM drive (not the 8x DVD-ROM drive advertised on the sticker up front)
--Windows 98SE (seems to be the factory install)

Not sure how well you can see it in the picture, but there's an ISA slot underneath the last card, a 56k modem. And yes, the system does work!

sDDQGGIl.jpg

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 94 of 2704, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice find! If that is a Katmai P3 then that is super rare, in fact Wikipedia claims that they only ever released a 550 😀

Main pc: Asus Rampage Gene ii, X5650, 250gb Samsung Evo, RX480, 12gb Crucial DDR3 1600.

Reply 95 of 2704, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Nice find! If that is a Katmai P3 then that is super rare, in fact Wikipedia claims that they only ever released a 550 😀

I looked up the CPU's S-spec (SL3JM) on CPU World and it does seem to be a Katmai PIII! http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL3JM.html

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 96 of 2704, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sutekh94 wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Nice find! If that is a Katmai P3 then that is super rare, in fact Wikipedia claims that they only ever released a 550 😀

I looked up the CPU's S-spec (SL3JM) on CPU World and it does seem to be a Katmai PIII! http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL3JM.html

Thanks for posting this - I've just checked my collection and have realised that two CPUs I thought were Pentium IIs are actually Katmais: one is a 550 (same model code as yours) and the other a 600! I only ever had Coppermines so it never occurred to me that they were slot 1 as well.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 97 of 2704, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Nice find! If that is a Katmai P3 then that is super rare, in fact Wikipedia claims that they only ever released a 550 😀

And your point is? Wikipedia is THE ultimate truth in the world? Katmai models were 450/500/550/600 with 100MHz FSB and 533/600 with 133MHz FSB.

Here is a link to a more trustworthy page: http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/1938/Katmai

Reply 98 of 2704, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I went back to the dump today to see if that slim i5 Dell system was still over there. Sure enough, it was over there, along with the HP server (still in very rough shape), as well as another server that had been brought over in the meantime. Of course, I picked the i5 up; wasn't too interested in the servers.

EB9M68Zl.jpg
ok6a81Nl.jpg
p4rlBY3l.jpg

Specs:
--Core i5-2320, 3.0GHz (socket 1155)
--8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
--Hard drive had been removed (thumbs up for that!)
--DVD-RW drive
--PCI-e x1 wireless card
--Originally shipped with Windows 7

I'm probably going to wind up selling it after I slap a hard drive in and install Win 7.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 99 of 2704, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sprcorreia wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Nice find! If that is a Katmai P3 then that is super rare, in fact Wikipedia claims that they only ever released a 550 😀

And your point is? Wikipedia is THE ultimate truth in the world? Katmai models were 450/500/550/600 with 100MHz FSB and 533/600 with 133MHz FSB.

Here is a link to a more trustworthy page: http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/1938/Katmai

Just saying that from what I have read around the internet that Katmai did not yield so well past 550mhz. So they are not that common. Of course you always take Wikipedia with a grain of salt but there is usually some truth mixed in.

Main pc: Asus Rampage Gene ii, X5650, 250gb Samsung Evo, RX480, 12gb Crucial DDR3 1600.