VOGONS

First post, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While it's not a big problem, something just keeps bugging me.
I have an AOpen AX6BC mobo in my vintage rig, and it underclocks all the CPUs I put in it by default. My Klamath P2 300 got UC'd to 233MHz, P3 550 to 350 MHz, also my P2 350 (just don't remember how much for this one). Every time I switch a CPU out I have to do a multiplier change. It's not much of an inconvenience, however I'm wondering if there might be a bigger underlying problem? Or is this just something I shouldn't really pay attention to?

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 1 of 7, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aren't Katmai P3s locked? So your board couldn't change the multiplier even if it wanted to. It could be that the board is just detecting (and reporting) the multiplier wrong, maybe because it is older than the CPUs? Anyway, you could test (with benchmarks) if your CPUs are actually being underclocked... perhaps only the ones with unlocked multipliers are.

Reply 2 of 7, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Sounds like some sort of "fail-safe" feature where the FSB and multiplier revert to a default setting when the BIOS detects a CPU change. It is a bit annoying, but harmless.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Sounds like some sort of "fail-safe" feature where the FSB and multiplier revert to a default setting when the BIOS detects a CPU change. It is a bit annoying, but harmless.

+1

Check your battery, it might be low. Past that its actually a USEFUL feature if you are an overclocker. Considering its an AOpn board, I would venture a guess it does cater to overclocking.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have three of this board. Firstly there are a ton of revisions, but all of them act "funny" when you swap the processor frequently. I always do a full CMOS clear / reset when changing hardware on this board 😀

But otherwise it's a great board.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 7, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thats good to know 😀 Guess I'll just have to remember to make some multiplier changes after cpu switches. Not planning to make any fow now anyway. Thaks for the info.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 6 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The board is jumperless, but has some BIOS options for FSB and whatnot. But it never hurts to do a CMOS clear 😀 I did remove all the slot brackets however, because one day I struggled removing a processor and got frustrated 😊

YouTube, Facebook, Website