VOGONS

Abit AB-PB4 for 486 build

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 54, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking at the results of your ABIT AB-PB4 compared to that of a M919 (Um8881), I see the following.

ABIT - X5-160
L1 = 92.8 MB/s
L2 = 55.3 MB/s
RAM = 38.96 MB/s

M919 - X5-160
L1 = 141 MB/s
L2 = 59 MB/s
RAM = 45 MB/s

ABIT - X5-133
L1 = 77.0 MB/s
L2 = 45.8 MB/s
RAM = 32.3 MB/s

M919 - X5-133
L1 = 117 MB/s
L2 = 49 MB/s
RAM = 37 MB/s

The most striking is the L1 result. I wonder what is going on there?

The L1, L2, and RAM results are 34%, 6.3%, and 13.6% lower, respectively.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 41 of 54, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. I'm pretty sure I have used a Kingston Upgrade chip which is a X5-133 soldered to an interpaoser. This was because it would run on any 5V 486 motherboard (and those with the VRM damaged, which for some reason happens to often on my 486 boards). It seems I should try testing it with a real X5-133.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 43 of 54, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DRIVERS :

PB4

Filename: PB4_IDE1.EXE
Date: 10/16/95
NOTE :

PB4 PCI IDE Driver Rev: 1.01.

Source: http://leoromo.net/mirrors/www.elhvb.com/mobo … /pb4/index.html

2nd option: http://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Hardware/ABIT/drive … b4/pb4_ide1.exe

Attachments

• Filename
    pb4_ide1.exe
    File size
    104.83 KiB
    Downloads
    121 downloads
    File comment
    IDE DRIVER FOR AB-PB4
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 44 of 54, by barbucha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello guys, after reading whole thread, ive decided to reply for help with my like new pb4 v 1.5, after some tinkering with various cpus from my collection ive placed x86-X5-133-ADZ with no results, so i got "dumb" idea to flash bios chip with F2 bios file. Of course without any further experience all went wrong way and now board is dead piece of silicon. except it starts boot block and was able to boot my floppy disk with awdflash on it and bios file, but every try to reflash ends with error msg.
Last attempt starts flashing that chip, but ends on the start of second line, and now even boot block has gone.
Can someone give me advice how to solve this, i have lots of other boards but none of them has Ali chipset M1487 like this one. Iam frustrated with all the day attempts, but still know board is fully functional before so trash can is not an option yet. Thanks for any advice to LAMA.

Reply 45 of 54, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use an Ethernet card with ROM socket on it to reflash the chip or use the 'hot swap' method on another board:

https://flashrom.org/Flashrom

Haven't tried this approach personally, but I am in the same situation as you with my board (boot block is all I get) except my board is a 1.3 revision. I have noticed the EEPROM chip on this board has more pins than BIOSes on my other motherboards.

If I had the time (I am moving house at the moment) I have spare flash chips - I could flash the right BIOS and mail it to you. Sorry! Maybe some other kind-hearted soul here can help.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 46 of 54, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry guys for dragging this thread from the dead but I see no sense in making another thread if my issue is about this very motherboard (plus it's not a terrifically long time ago anyway).

Anyway, after alot of delays and moving house, I finally got round to sorting some of my machines, (I got plenty to show off so il certainly be making a gloat thread soon, but I digress!).

Just a quick question; I'm a little lost on the manual about the jumper settings for the CPU (BTW, massive thanks for uploading!). It had originally a ST 486 DX2 66 and I wish to drop in an Am5x86 133.

What jumpers to I need to set exactly? I'm certain they are the set of 14 pins just south of the CPU socket. If someone could perhaps decipher it in a (probably moron) way, that would be great, as I honestly think the way I think it's saying is probably not right!

Let me know if pictures are required. Many thanks in advance!

Reply 47 of 54, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What I would really like to see out of one of these AB-PB4 motherboards is someone using that brown PISA slot for a CPU card. This is the only PCI-, ISA- or VLB-based 486 board I know of with a PISA slot. And how would you delegate the tasks between the PISA CPU and the motherboard's CPU? Could you use the system like a quasi SMP system? Or is it more like you have two desktops shoved into one case whereby the two desktops can only communicate with each other, say, between an ethernet card in sort of beowulf-like cluster?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 48 of 54, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Forgive my idiocy, the only thing I know about PISA cards is most (if not all) seem to be entire systems on a card. Are up you basically asking how it is implemented? Would they be two separate entities or would they work in tandem? If so I can only answer with; "I don't know" and probably may never know, as I have no PISA hardware what so ever and nor have I ever seen any in the flesh.

Since I'm constantly learning about this stuff, like you I'm eager to learn more about it, but right now all I want is a working system! 🤣

Reply 50 of 54, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure about this board, but weren't PISA slots often used for PCI/ISA riser cards?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 51 of 54, by Stelios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys! I also have this mobo but someone has removed all jumpers and olso RJ1 RJ2 RJ3 jumpers... Can someone please tell me what those RJ1 RJ3 RJ3 are? Are they just 0hm resistor packs or what?... Thanks in advance..

Reply 52 of 54, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

40mhz front side bus should yield in excess of 40mb memory transfer speed in speedsys(Memory Throughput).
At 50mhz I get 56MB/s on a LS486E and at 40mhz I think it was something like 48MB/s.

UMC boards(888x) are slightly slower but were faster regarding second level cache speed(up to 77MB/s @ 50mhz vs 70MB/s on the SiS49x).

The Kingston chip I tested is slightly slower than a normal 5x86 on the LS486E as it's L1 cache is running in WT mode. I have no idea why this is. Nonetheless a great little processor.

Reply 53 of 54, by lukas12p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I have Abit AB-PB4 v1.3 with Am5x86@160MHz, EDO ram, 15 ns cache.
SRAM read timing 3-1-1-1, write timing 0 wait and DRAM "Faster".
Mamory bandwith looks lower than Yours, are You using 12 ns cache?

SSTIMG01.gif
Filename
SSTIMG01.gif
File size
15.79 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 54 of 54, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
indomitus wrote on 2015-11-23, 18:58:

Hello...
this is my AB-PB 4 mobo; I do not remember if it works. I'll check tonight's.

indomitus, I am most intrigued - although your motherboard is the same revision as mine (1.3) you have JP12 and JP31 present, which are missing on my board. This seems to make it impossible for me to set 50MHz bus speed. I have reinstated a jumper block at the postition of JP12 (it was hardwired to position 1-2 before) but JP31 doesn't exist at all. I would love to see a close-up of that part of your board, if possible.

lukas12p wrote on 2020-06-21, 12:08:
Hi I have Abit AB-PB4 v1.3 with Am5x86@160MHz, EDO ram, 15 ns cache. SRAM read timing 3-1-1-1, write timing 0 wait and DRAM "Fas […]
Show full quote

Hi
I have Abit AB-PB4 v1.3 with Am5x86@160MHz, EDO ram, 15 ns cache.
SRAM read timing 3-1-1-1, write timing 0 wait and DRAM "Faster".
Mamory bandwith looks lower than Yours, are You using 12 ns cache?

I have also got around to testing this board with the 5x86 at 160MHz. The only difference between my setup and yours is that I used 'fastest' DRAM timings in the BIOS, and I have compact flash for storage. It's a shame that the board cannot do 45MHz, as I believe this board would perform very well at 180MHz with a capable CPU (I have 3 candidates).

Attachments

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.