VOGONS

First post, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just won one on ebay. Ive always wanted the DB50XG, but I got a XR385, are the patch sets the same? Rom sizes, etc the same?

Often I read XR385 is a clone, but I never knew if it is 100% the same as a DB50XG

Reply 4 of 16, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

What can XR385 Line IN be used for? (and have you made a tutorial for SPDIF modding yet ? 🤣 )

You can use it to route other audio signals through the effects DSP, like OPL3 or PC speaker for example.

Tutorial for 16-bit SPDIF should be around this forum somewhere, haven't tried with 18-bit yet.

Reply 5 of 16, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wow Im so upset. So Ijust got the Xr385 in the mail. The seller packed it the worst possible way ever.

He wrapped it in aluminum foil and put it in a zip lock bag and a shipping box!!!!

Of course it's dead. When I plug it in and turn the computer on, immediately I get a bunch of white noise, LOUD, loud enough that my iphone headphones are clearly audible holding them 12 inches away from my ear.

OF course he doesnt offer returns, so I opened an ebay case. But being that he stated that the item is untested I am sure ebay will side with him.

Dont buy anything from this seller...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181731483367?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

20150504_131540_zpsgnqxca3o.jpg

20150504_131548_zpsofvnwdda.jpg

Reply 6 of 16, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He probably bought them from the Chinese seller who had a very large supply 2 years ago.

Several of those cards didn't work, but he atleast took returns 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 16, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

He probably bought them from the Chinese seller who had a very large supply 2 years ago.

Several of those cards didn't work, but he atleast took returns 😀

I have 2 of them from that seller and they both work, but the top of some of the caps are dented and they have some minor scrapes. In my minds eye I can see someone pulling them from karaoke machines and tossing them into a huge pile, before realising they could sell them on the internets. I'll have a go at recapping them one day.

Sorry to hear you got a dead one Sev80!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got a dead one, but I think it was me. I must have put it the wrong way around once... It worked before.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11 of 16, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I still have mine from the Chinese seller as well. It did come wrapped in newspaper inside a bubble mailer and has some cosmetic issues (dents and scratches mostly), but works just fine.

nOo0dzgl.png RvT1iH8l.png

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 12 of 16, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

im so furious right now

I ended up sending the dead XR385 back to the seller for a refund. I as high bidder on another auction on ebay for a week, at the very last second I got bid sniped and lost that auction.

Been waiting 6 months to find one of these cards, and now there are none available.

I seriously feel like smashing my keyboard... I H A T E bid snipers!!!

if anyone has a spare of these and is willing to part with it, I would be grateful. hit me up on amibay. (sev)

rage level: [-----------*]

Last edited by Sev80 on 2015-05-07, 22:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sev80 wrote:

im so furious right now

Try looking for external units from Yamaha or Roland. They might cost a bit more but are more versatile. Can be used with old computers, but also on new ones via DOSBox or ScummVM. Plenty more modules around as well.

YouTube, Facebook, Website