VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

http://www.ebay.at/itm/131497177232?ssPageNam … utorefresh=true

in my oppinion this is insane... why did it get such a high bidding?
is it because of the pci slots? the cyrix cpu? or the vrm module?

or was it just the whole package?

Reply 1 of 10, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think you can go more High-End 486 than that. Except for 133MHz Cyrix 586

[E]

Also, that guy has some beautiful hardware for sale.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 10, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That MB has no VLB slots, and no PS/2 mouse header, making it rather boring in my opinion. I wouldn't pay more then 10-15$ for it.

[EDITED] - I tought he was selling the 133Mhz Cyrix. The 120MHz cyrix is rare, but not worth the rest of the sum. 100 and 120MHz cyrix CPUs are rather common in eastern europe since big companies like IBM and Compaq didn't dominate sales like in the west. Romanian PC sales companies favored the Am586DX5 and the Cyrix 586 CPUs because of their low price and good performance, so they are a lot more common then say... the 100MHz Intel DX4. As a matter if fact, I've only seen one Intel DX4 CPU, and that was way back in the day, inside of an IBM Aptiva system. All others were boutique built systems with Cyrix or AMD CPUs, or newer Compaq/IBM/HP/ETC Pentium based system.

Last edited by kanecvr on 2015-05-03, 22:08. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nemail wrote:
hi […]
Show full quote

hi

http://www.ebay.at/itm/131497177232?ssPageNam … utorefresh=true

in my oppinion this is insane... why did it get such a high bidding?
is it because of the pci slots? the cyrix cpu? or the vrm module?

or was it just the whole package?

none of it. its naive thinking 🤣

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 4 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is a late revision of the board, comes with the VRM, has double-banked 32-pin cache, and another user reported that soldering on the PS/2 mouse header resulted in a working PS/2 mouse. Although the price is still quite high. This sale serves as evidence that prices continue to rise.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 10, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Although its easy to say that prices will rise in general, naive assumptions are no evidence for nothing, sorry. Maybe you all should take a closer look.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 6 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see high bids all the time... I for one can't see a rational explanation.

A few months ago there were two Diamond Speedstar64 2MB ISA cards being sold by two sellers. One went for ~35€. The other, a few hours later, for ~110€ - go figure 🤑

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7 of 10, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

LMAO when I saw the DALLAS RTC in the picture 🤣
Even if it's a socketed one, it's one of those dumbest thing with rechargeable NiCd or NiMH soldered batteries you don't want to find on a MB 😵

Reply 8 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am glad that I don't see bid prices like that too often here in the states except when trying to buy Thinkpads. It does feel good to land a V3 2/3K pci on a $7 bid once in a blue moon. 😎

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 10, by buyerninety

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sometimes I guess its just that someone sees something they just gotta have - too
bad if it turns out there's another looney like yourself 🤣 , here's a current example...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Orchid-Soundwave-3 … =item41952436a0

Reply 10 of 10, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah - the seller also wrote: “Previously working, but sold as-is for collection only.” - and to top it off "No returns are offered for a faulty card."