VOGONS

First post, by Rajada

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have to tell a little story. I recently cleaned out the family office and found a backlog of what I presumed to be e-waste. An old monitor, remains of my first PC (running Windows ME... ew), a ton of old hard drives and CD drives. I was moments from taking most of it to a recycling drop-off, but this hardware had such a nostalgic appeal to me, I wanted to seek out a little history before I chucked most of it. I stumbled upon this site in my searches, and I really enjoyed reading through some of it. I decided to set aside a sound card from a series that a few members here had displayed a particular fondness for and sell it online. An Esoniq Soundscape Elite. I figured the card had been stored away so well for so long that it was probably still working and it would be a shame to throw it out when someone out there might be able to get some use out of it.

The thing is, the bidding on this thing has increased rapidly. Honestly I wasn't expecting it to sell at all. Just for decency sake, I won't post any links unless I'm told it's alright to do so, but what's really brought me here is now I'm more than a bit curious. What the heck do I have here? Do I have something good, or is this just a fluke? Does this card still see use these days? Please, enlighten me.

SoundscapeSmall.jpg

I have another box of various old components, would this be as good a place as any to post some pics so I could get some thoughts on what I have here? I would rather ship some of this off to a good home than throw it away if there's any interest in it (I'm well aware that selling/trading here isn't necessarily recommended, I just kind of want to gauge what I shouldn't take to a recycling center). Any advice would really be appreciated.

And yes, I will be securely destroying the hard drives. 😵

Last edited by Rajada on 2015-05-07, 18:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi!

Yes the Elite is relatively rare and sought after, so it'll go for decent money. Not a fortune, but probably more than you expected 😀 It was worth listing that one.

Yes post a pic of your other stuff and the friendly folks here will be able to tell you if it's trash or treasure. Trading / selling isn't allow here though.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 18, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got mine for 1€ ... boxed and unopened off eBay. But yeah, those are at least very uncommon and usually fetch high prices.

It's a nice collectors item and surely has a nice GM soundfont, but that's nothing I'd use too often. Sold it again after a while.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 5 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rajada wrote:

Yes, I'd like to post pictures, but I can't seem to get the images to be resized click-throughs. Does your board not support resized images?

No, it doesn't. You either need to use a image host which can generate the thumbnails and links, or make them yourself and upload to drive/dropbox.

Use [img]THUMBNAILURL[/img] to post click-able thumbnails.

Another option is to attach the files to the post itself and use "place inline", which should resize in most cases.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 18, by Rajada

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any opinions on this stuff would be greatly appriciated

1. I believe this to be a Sound Blaster 16
BlasterSmall.jpg

2. Modem cards? Are these worth holding on to?
ModemsSmall.jpg

3. Ethernet card.
EtherSmall.jpg

4. Paradise Graphics Card? I don't remember much about this one.
ParadiseSmall.jpg

5. Creative sound card. I think this might have come in an old pre-built PC?
CreativeSmall.jpg

6. Audio riser card. Unfortunately, can't seem to find what this plugged in to.
RiserSmall.jpg

7. Creative Vibra 16.
VibraSmall.jpg

8. Some Diamond video card?
DiamondSmall.jpg

9. Best for last. This is apparently a Sound Blaster Live; my father had it placed inside an old CD drive enclosure. Fascinating, but I'm not sure if anyone these days would want it in the enclosure, it functions as a bay install without it.
LiveInCaseSmall.jpg
LiveFrontSmall.jpg
LiveDriveSmall.jpg

The internal card to accompany it.
LiveCardSmall.jpg

Also found some old memory, but I'm not sure even someone building an old machine would want it.

Reply 7 of 18, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. CT4170 - probably not a great Sound Blaster, still ISA so worth more than nothing.
2. The left one is probably some kind of TV tuner card. Not very useful today, but maybe better than a modem. Is there sill analog TV in your region?
3. 10MBit 3Com NIC, with TP, AUI and BNC.
4. Interesting. I only know Virge GX chips from STB Nitro 3D and Compaq OEM cards. It even has SGRAM, not EDO rated for 8ns/125MHz. Pity it only has 2MB, otherwise I might be interested.
5. CT5807 is either Sound Blaster 16PCI or Sound Blaster Audio Pci 64 Dell OEM.
7. CT4180 - see 1.
8. No idea which one that is exactly. maybe TNT/TNT2? Less common because of PCI instead of AGP.

Reply 8 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
idspispopd wrote:

8. No idea which one that is exactly. maybe TNT/TNT2? Less common because of PCI instead of AGP.

Diamond Diamond Viper V550 TNT PCI. A good card for 2D and 3D. So definitely worth saving!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd say just about everything will sell. You wont get many bids on it as its nothing special, but it is good basic stuff for a DOS PC.
I'd leave the Livedrive External drive setup, its Different and cool so will add $1 or 2, I'd also sell both together, the card by itself will be a bit harder to get rid of.
The Modem is not worth the trouble, don't know enough about tuners but doubt it.

The riser card seems to have the older CD Audio plug, chuck it on ebay, that's the kind of thing someone who knows what it is will be keeping an eye out for.

Reply 11 of 18, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1 and 7: They're both SB Vibra 16s with CQM, so not the greatest around. Still ISA, so maybe worth something to the right person.
2: No. Even if the card on the left was a TV tuner, it wouldn't be worth a whole lot. (They're both modems.)
3: Oooh, BNC... It's a PCI NIC, so maybe worth a fiver at most.
4: ViRGE cards are great for pairing up with a Voodoo 1 or Voodoo 2 SLi setup.
5: Probably came out of a Dell or some other OEM machine, wouldn't be worth much.
6: Probably also came out of an OEM machine. I know HP used to like using those.
8: Definitely worth something. PCI TNT cards are great for 2D and 3D.
9: It's unique because it's in an enclosure, which will bump up the price a little bit. Though, if you do decide to sell the enclosure/Live!, I'd recommend selling the card alongside it.

So yeah, they'll all more than likely sell, it's just that you won't get a whole lot of attention because all the items here aren't too special.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 12 of 18, by Rajada

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, thanks for all the info so far. I found an additional Conextant modem card (how many of these dang things do you need? 😜) and a Uniden wireless card. Also found another pile of old RAM. Frankly, I'd practically give the RAM away if anyone had any use for it. I also found two Windows 95 for dummies books and a windows 98 operating manual. Heck of a lot of fun reading those.

Well, my first choice would be to deliver most of this stuff to some people who could use it, so I'll probably throw a lot of this stuff up for cheap, after a little more research. But man, my Soundscape auction has escalated quickly. That's going to require my attention for a few more days, then I'll renew my efforts to scour the closet for additional hardware. Once again, thanks for all the input so far!

Is it worth listing the specs on the RAM? Or is old (I'm talking the oldest being 128 MB SDRAM PC 133, newest being 1 Gig laptop ram) RAM just trash at this point?

Reply 14 of 18, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Nothing special, but maybe someone look for it.
2. Modem cards dont have any value now days..
3. ISA Ethernet card, its worth something, also its the most compatible brand there is.. (would sell it as well)
4. Not a highly sought card, but would sell it as well.. Maybe some one is looking for a PCI graphics card for an 486 PCI of early Pentium 1 would.. *wouldnt trash it*
5. Nothing special also, but maybe someone is looing for one..
6. Wouldnt trash it also.. Special cards or add-on brackets are hard to find now days.. Would sell it.
7 Nothing special also, maybe someone is looking for it (when sell it it doesnt have a high value)
8. Could be a high rated graphics cards.. Card lik a TNT2 Ultra uses mostly a FAN on the Graphics processor.. Because also PCI versions are harder to obtain.. (its really something worth yes, wouldnt trash it) (maybe its the monster fusion PCI i see there)
9. Yes the creative unit have over average value, still now days there is looking for it.. You also have the control remote, which make it more valuable..
10.. Thats soundcards needs to with number one.. When it was sold, it was sold within that breakout box thing..

What old memory do you have.. If you have sipp, simms then i wouldnt throw it away,.. And this moment these stick are became very hard to get.. I would recommend to sell it as well and see who wants to buy it from you.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 15 of 18, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$430?! Oh well. Good thing I got mine for $1 (unused) and another boxed one sold for $35 in march.

..ooOO(damn, I should have put my IBM MFC on eBay)

[Z?]

Reply 17 of 18, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$250 isn't exactly a great price (but I guess eBay would be close to 3x as much).

[Z?]