VOGONS

First post, by TheGreyRabbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Long time reader, first time writer.

I've been getting my DOS computer up and running over the last few weeks. Whilst doing so I decided to upgrade the video card, and ending up winning a huge lot on eBay (so I have options).

AFAIK the ones that might work for me are the TNT2 PCI, the Rage 128 PCI, VooDoo Banshee PCI, GeForce 4 PCI, or the Mach 32 ISA. There are also a couple other PCI cards, that I haven't been able to identify. The rest are either VLB or AGP, which my mobo doesn't support.

The mobo is a Packard Bell PB600 (on-board video is Cirrus Logic GD-5430). And my problem is, I can't seem to get it to recognize any of the aforementioned cards.

Reply 5 of 9, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If that gets them going, I'd run the banshee if you're doing DOS. The voodoo may be later card than what you need for DOS games, but it has great DOS support.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 6 of 9, by TheGreyRabbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I got it to recognize the Mach32, but no video through it, and when I run the test utility it says something about incompatible ROM. So, I'm assuming it's too old for the mobo, which is fine, I doubt it would be much of an improvement. As far as the PCI cards go, I can't find anything in the BIOs about enabling PCI video. And I actually found a website with the entire bios drawn out, so rather than describe it to you, just follow this link: http://j12345.users1.50megs.com/menu/pb600/PB600SET.ASP.htm

Something I noticed though, that might be the problem. Right next to the riser card is this power connector:
520pcipc.jpg
http://j12345.users1.50megs.com/menu/pb600/PB600LAY.ASP.htm
That same website labels it as a "PCI Bus Power Connector," if I'm supposed to run a dongle to it, the power supply has no extras with that form factor. Might be hooped.

Reply 7 of 9, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, without the power connector any PCI board that needs 3.3V will not work correctly. If you don't mind making your own cables you may want to try making your own ATX-AT adapter and using the 3.3V ATX lines to create the extra connector.

Reply 8 of 9, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NOTE - the layout describes the connector as being 3 lots of 3.3V - the standard 6 pin AUX is two 3.3V and a 5V - it seems theirs is non-standard - quite likely, since its PB and is seems the AUX connector was not a standard feature until ATX12V 1.0 & 1.3

Reply 9 of 9, by TheGreyRabbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tried them on a different board. Still couldn't get the banshee, 128, or TNT2 to post, but the GeForce 4, and one of the others worked fine on it. That board already had a Hercules installed.