VOGONS

New 1997 Build (GA-586STX2)

Topic actions

First post, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I started the restoration of another 1997 PC.

- My first problem is I don't have the manual for the Gigabyte GA-586STX2.
- Is it a good board? It has a SiS 5582 and 512k of cache + ATX.
- It seems that a AMD K6-2 400 would be the fastest compatible cpu is that correct?

Many thanks in advance.

The configuration right now is:

Pentium 200MMX
32MB EDORAM
ATI Mach64 PCI
1.9GB IDE Drive

Upgrades inbound! 😁

Last edited by Arctic on 2015-05-12, 23:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got an Asus Socket 7 board with SIS chipset, and it's a very fast board.

Most boards should have the jumper information (FSB, Multiplier and Voltage) written on the board.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 22, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How much memory can be installed on this board if it has 512kb L2 cache?
I have 2x EDO RAM and 2x DIMM slots. Is 256MB fully cached possible?

@phil
Do you have benchmarks of said SiS system?

Reply 3 of 22, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.anandtech.com/show/51
"The SiS 5582 chipset natively can cache a maximum of 128MB of RAM, a full 64MB more than the limit of the Intel TX chipset."

EDIT - How does the GA-586STX2 differ from GA-586STX? Is "GA-586STX2" what's printed on the circuit board?

But anyway the only ref to GA-586STX2 is a BIOS with the CPU support you want.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page … kw=GA-586STX#dl

Reply 6 of 22, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Happily, the jumper options are printed on the board. Here's pics of how they differ. Nice layout on the STX2.

http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzei … 814212-225-1783

http://wasp.kz/articles.php?article_id=489

Reply 9 of 22, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome! Thank you 😀

I installed a Soundblaster 32 PnP with 8MB memory and a Diamond Stealth II with the Rendition V2100 😀

Is it possible to mix RAM on the SIMMs and DIMMs on this board?

Reply 10 of 22, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:

Is it possible to mix RAM on the SIMMs and DIMMs on this board?

You should never do that with any board. DIMM is usually SDRAM (EDO-DIMM's do exist, but are uncommon, and I don't know if they will work in PC mainboards). I think there is a voltage conflict, IIRC EDO needs 5V while needs 3.3V so you might damage something.

SiS 5582 (I suppose 5528 was a typo?) can use 16MBit and 64MBit chips. To get 128MB you could use two 64MB modules with 8 chips each, or one 128MB module with 16 chips. (It possible that not all such modules are compatible.)

Reply 12 of 22, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Colour me suprised: the GA-586STX manual actually describes using SIMM and DIMM together. I didn't expect that at all.

I still wouldn't experiment on the GA-586STX2. But now you've got more reason to track down a proper manual.

EDIT: I found references that these all do it. Go figure.
GA-586TX2
GA-586S2
GA-586ATX
GA-586T2
GA-586TX2
GA-586TX3

Reply 13 of 22, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use two 64MB 72 pin SIMMs and two 64MB PC-100 SDRAMs (i.e.: 168 pin DIMMs) in my MMX233 AT rig (PC Chips TXPro M560 - old revision). This configuration is legal since it is included in its memory configuration tables in the manual (besides many other SIMM/DIMMM combinations).

The board has four 72 pin and two 168 pin slots. There is no configuration shown, using all four of the 72 pin slots in addition to the 168 pin slots, but numerous configurations with two 72 pin slots combined with two SDRAM slots are designated in its configuration table.

It has a memory voltage jumper enables you to select between 5V and 3.3V, and at the moment its set to 3.3V. It was also working fine with 5V settings, but SDRAMs were hot. It has Windows98SE on it and has no apparent problems.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 15 of 22, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice that SIMM and DIMM work together. Still, I wouldn't try that with just any board, only if the manual explicitly states this works. Also it's possible that one RAM bank is shared so you can't use all RAM slots at once, like tayyare wrote.

Reply 16 of 22, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do I need to take precautions about the voltage of the different memories?
I will post a high res picture of the Board as soon as I can. Right now I have 2x32MB EDO RAM installed.
Then I want to add another PC66 2x32MB SDRAM 😁

@idspispopd
yes it was a typo! I changed it, many thanks 😀

Reply 17 of 22, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If your board is anything like the other SIMM+DIMM boards I own, the slots share memory banks. Eg. DIMM slot 1 is shared with the first two SIMM slots, and so on, so you can't use both. If you have four SIMM slots and two DIMM slots, using 2x32 PC66 SDRAM will occupy all memory banks, so you won't be able to use your current EDO at the same time. You can get away with 2x32 EDO + 1x32 PC66

Ah, and try running with 3.3V. Not sure your EDO RAM will like that.

Reply 18 of 22, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Board is a 2 SIMM / 2 DIMM setuo. I guess I can put 1x 64MB in one DIMM slot.

This is the board:
http://wasp.kz/Stat_PC/m-b/ga_586stx/1_ga586stx.jpg

5v / 3.3v
So either I fry the DIMM with too much or the SIMM with too low current right?
I will check what's printed on the board. I am a bit confused now 😕

I found this article, maybe it's useful:
http://wasp.kz/articles.php?article_id=489

Reply 19 of 22, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You linked to a pic of an STX, not an STX2 I think. If the pics I linked were correct, then on your board none of the PCI slots would conflict with the IDE when using long cards. That seems to be the most obvious difference.