VOGONS

First post, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings!

A while ago, I bought an AT case for my Intel 440BX-2 build. The AT case had a PSU, it is the largest case I have ever seen and best of all it had a turbo button. These aspects lured me in. I thought it was excellent for the size and it was only 70 dollars. 😁

It finally arrived. I got all my screwdrivers and all my hard drives and equipment ready for a pc build. Of course, the first thing I do is try put the motherboard in. For about 20 minutes I attempted to screw the motherboard in to the AT case with no luck. I pondered for another 20 minutes on what I would do next. I came to the conclusion that my motherboard was the wrong size or the case was the wrong size. My internet searching confirmed this. 😠

What size case should I look for a Gigabyte GA 5AX (revision 4.1) or a Intel 440BX-2? What should I do with my AT case (What kind of pc build: 486, 386 etc.)?

Reply 1 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have a picture or otherwise a description of what isn't fitting? Or a picture of the case as-is? Is it that screw-holes don't line up, or that you can't get any purchase on the screws in the case?

SE440BX-2 and GA-5AX is an ATX motherboard, but may fit in some AT-style cases (some cases take AT and ATX). However if the case only takes AT form boards, it likely won't have proper standoff positions and the rear I/O panel may not be cut-out correctly for an ATX board either.

Anyways, for the two boards you've mentioned, you would need an ATX compatible case - there's an almost endless number of options for that, new and used.

Reply 2 of 16, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The screw holes in motherboards are like 99.9% universal.

That said, ATX motherboards will NOT fit into AT cases, but AT boards WILL fit into ATX cases (with adapters)

As for what to do with your obviously AT case... build a 486. Thats what I'd likely do.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 16, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

Do you have a picture or otherwise a description of what isn't fitting? Or a picture of the case as-is? Is it that screw-holes don't line up, or that you can't get any purchase on the screws in the case?

SE440BX-2 and GA-5AX is an ATX motherboard, but may fit in some AT-style cases (some cases take AT and ATX). However if the case only takes AT form boards, it likely won't have proper standoff positions and the rear I/O panel may not be cut-out correctly for an ATX board either.

Well, first thing is first the screws do not line up properly with my 440BX board as the I/O panel only has one port and some other ports above it. If I try to screw the motherboard in to the case, the 440BX is not lined up correctly and the motherboard board ends up sideways. The same can be said for the Gigabyte GA-5AX.

luckybob wrote:

As for what to do with your obviously AT case... build a 486. That's what I'd likely do.

Are there any other options than building a 486? Lately it seems as if the costs to building a 486 are becoming quite high.

Reply 5 of 16, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pictures! I can't really follow. It seems to me that you're trying to fit an ATX board into an AT case, I always thought this isn't possible, but maybe there are some cases that allow it...

You could build a socket 7 AT system instead of a 486...

Reply 6 of 16, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IMG_0369[1].JPG
Filename
IMG_0369[1].JPG
File size
2.94 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0368[1].JPG
Filename
IMG_0368[1].JPG
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File comment
My 440BX-2 in an AT case
File license

As you can see it is just not fitting.

TheVibe wrote:

Well, first thing is first the screws do not line up properly with my 440BX board as the I/O panel only has one port and some other ports above it. If I try to screw the motherboard in to the case, the 440BX is not lined up correctly and the motherboard board ends up sideways. The same can be said for the Gigabyte GA-5AX.

Reply 7 of 16, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's an AT case and a atx motherbord. You will need to remove the box for the AT keyboard, that can be done with a drill, just drill out the rivets. Next you will need to make holes for the motherboard connectors, this can be done with the same drill and a cut off disk. You can get a low end dremel or drill for cheap at most hardware stores if you don't already have one.
Option 2 would be to get a different case or motherboard.

EDIT:
You may also need to drill holes in the motherboard tray to mount the motherboard.

Reply 9 of 16, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheVibe wrote:

Well, honestly I think I rather keep it in its original format. I rather not mod the case. I may use it for another build someday. Maybe, I will mod it another day.

I see, modding is not for everyone. However it is a simple mod. You would need to use an AT motherboard if you don't mod it.

Reply 10 of 16, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
frisky dingo wrote:
TheVibe wrote:

Well, honestly I think I rather keep it in its original format. I rather not mod the case. I may use it for another build someday. Maybe, I will mod it another day.

I see, modding is not for everyone. However it is a simple mod. You would need to use an AT motherboard if you don't mod it.

Why ruin a perfectly good AT case when you can purchase an ATX case from literally anyware? You can still find old white ATX boxes really cheap online or buy a budged ATX case and PSU combo from a retailer (like I did for my PIII V2 SLI build). Don't cut up the AT case, they are becoming harder and harder to find - especially big towers like the one you have. I payed 25$ for this:

54400093_4_1000x700_carcasa-delux-mv888-sursa-inter-tech-sl-700-700w-numai-local-electronice-si-electrocasnice.jpg
Filename
54400093_4_1000x700_carcasa-delux-mv888-sursa-inter-tech-sl-700-700w-numai-local-electronice-si-electrocasnice.jpg
File size
36.12 KiB
Views
File license

It came with a cheap, quiet PSU (perfect for a P3) and I added a black DVD-RW pata drive and a black FDD. It has side cutouts on witch I mounted a 120mm fan to cool my Voodoo 2 cards.

You can use the AT case for a 386, 486 or Socket 7 Pentium MMX / AMD K6-2 or K6-3 / Slot 1 Intel Pentium 2/3 with the right motherboard. AT socket 7 motherboards with AGP that support K6 CPUs are plenty.

Reply 11 of 16, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As a clarification, ATX cases look like this:

atx.gif
Filename
atx.gif
File size
61.41 KiB
Views
File license

As you can see, they have a rectangular cutout above the expansion card slots witch matches with the multitude of ports at the rear of the ATX motherboard. In the cutout you are supposed to install a metal I/O shield that comes with the motherboard. An ATX case will also fit a full AT motherboard - but you will not be able to use a I/O shield to cover the hole.

This is what an AT case looks like from behind (like the one you have)

at.jpg
Filename
at.jpg
File size
84.62 KiB
Views
File license

As you can see, it doesn't have the cutout required to fit an ATX motherboard's rear connectors. An AT case will only fit an AT motherboard

You're currently stuck with a Bigtower AT case and an ATX motherboard witch are not compatible.

AT and ATX power supplies are different too. Some AT boards (namely newer socket 7 and Slot 1 boards) have support both ATX and AT power supplies, but 90% of ATX boards only support ATX power supplies (different connector). There are exceptions (some ACER and Gateway Pentium 2 / 3 motherboards come in ATX form factor but require an AT power supply).

The motherboard you are trying to use is ATX form factor has an ATX connector - so it will only work with an ATX case + power supply combo. Sourcing a cheap one is easy - slot 1 systems don't require much power so almost any power supply will do.

Hope this helps - good luck with your build.

Reply 12 of 16, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Why ruin a perfectly good AT case when you can purchase an ATX case from literally anyware? Don't cut up the AT case, they are becoming harder and harder to find - especially big towers like the one you have.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully one day I will make my AT case into a full on 486.

kanecvr wrote:

You can still find old white ATX boxes really cheap online or buy a budged ATX case and PSU combo from a retailer (like I did for my PIII V2 SLI build). It came with a cheap, quiet PSU (perfect for a P3) and I added a black DVD-RW pata drive and a black FDD. It has side cutouts on witch I mounted a 120mm fan to cool my Voodoo 2 cards.

I am curious as to how you managed to create a build like that with that PSU you got from a modern retailer. I am guessing the PSU was one of those newer ones that do not have a -5v rail for ISA cards. Since you have Voodoo 2 SLI, I am guessing you want to play early Windows and late DOS games but for DOS games you really need an ISA soundcard, as far as my knowledge goes these require the -5v rail to function.

I suppose I will look for one of those beige mid ATX cases on Ebay for my build.

Reply 14 of 16, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a Creative Vibra 128 PCI since the mainboard doesn't have any ISA slots. Current configuration is this:

- 1GHz Socket 370 Pentium 3 256K + quiet socket A cooler (Titan heatsink + silent fan)
- ECS P6VXA motherboard (recapped)
- 2x256MB SDRAM (Hyundai chips I think)
- Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64MB AGP 4x from Leadtek (A250 I think) - replaced the stock noisy cooling solution
- 2x Creative Voodoo 2 12MB in SLi
- Creative CT4810 - Sound Blaster Vibra 128 PCI
- Intel 10/100 PCI lan card made by IBM
- 2x Maxtor 40GB PATA HDDs (the slim model)
- Hitachi PATA DVD-RW
- Sony 3,5" Black FDD
- DELUXE brand case and PSU.

Would have preferred a more period-correct looking beige case, but most early ATX cases you can find in my country are such poor quality they aren't worth using.

IMG_20150511_222222.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150511_222222.jpg
File size
2.52 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20150511_221825.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150511_221825.jpg
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20150511_221844.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150511_221844.jpg
File size
2.47 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20150511_221959.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150511_221959.jpg
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_20150511_221909.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150511_221909.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license

Then again, this modern case does have a great cooling advantage over period correct ATX parts - it has the aforementioned dual 120mm fan mounts, one of witch can blow right onto the voodoo cards, and it offers the posibility to install another 90mm fan on the bottom. That and most of my PATA CD-ROMS and DVD-RW are black... white DVD-RW drives are hard to come by in these parts...

Reply 15 of 16, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:
frisky dingo wrote:
TheVibe wrote:

Why ruin a perfectly good AT case when you can purchase an ATX case from literally anyware? You can still find old white ATX boxes really cheap online or buy a budged ATX case and PSU combo from a retailer (like I did for my PIII V2 SLI build). Don't cut up the AT case, they are becoming harder and harder to find - especially big towers like the one you have. I payed 25$ for this:

Adding a atx i/o panel to a AT case by no means ruins it. You can still use a AT motherboard in the case along with a ATX motherboard. I done it countless time to generic AT cases. That is if you know what your doing. 🤣
A simpler thing to do is to removed the back panel all together and put a atx back panel in it's place, keeping the AT panel unmodified .

alexanrs wrote:

Only a few (older) ISA cards do need -5V to work. Most of them don't.

Some motherboards need -5v regardless if you have a isa card that need -5v as well.

Reply 16 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oerk wrote:

It seems to me that you're trying to fit an ATX board into an AT case, I always thought this isn't possible, but maybe there are some cases that allow it...

I have an old ATX/AT hybrid case - I think it's an Enlight (it was repainted by the previous owner, so it's impossible to tell). It has a lot of mounts for movable stand-offs and a key engraved into the MB tray for the various form factors it supports. With an AT board the "ATX I/O connector area" is largely open - I used to have a blank for it, but that was lost ages ago. All the blank does is provide a single hole for the keyboard connector, and fills the rest of the void. I'm sure if you were so inclined you could modify a blank to include areas for the various ribbon-cable leads to mount, as opposed to using punch-outs on the case (or to augment them). 😊

TheVibe wrote:

Like was already said (and as I assumed initially) - you need an ATX compatible case. They're very common/easy to find at a variety of price-points and in a variety of styles. Personally I preference models that support larger fans (e.g. 120mm) because I want quieter systems, but that's mostly an aesthetic choice.

TheVibe wrote:

I am curious as to how you managed to create a build like that with that PSU you got from a modern retailer. I am guessing the PSU was one of those newer ones that do not have a -5v rail for ISA cards. Since you have Voodoo 2 SLI, I am guessing you want to play early Windows and late DOS games but for DOS games you really need an ISA soundcard, as far as my knowledge goes these require the -5v rail to function.

I suppose I will look for one of those beige mid ATX cases on Ebay for my build.

Not all retro builds require ISA cards (and as already stated, not all ISA cards require -5V), and it isn't uncommon for Voodoo2 cards to end up in newer/faster machines for Glide support (and they do scale well with faster CPUs, like the P3). 😀