VOGONS

No POST on FIC 486-VC-HD

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 26, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is a posting from 5 years ago. Usually the mods will not be happy when you necro a thread. However if the owner dumps a bios, we from UH19 will be happy too:
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/2399
As we lack that one so far.

Last edited by evasive on 2021-11-28, 14:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 26, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkscop wrote on 2020-12-27, 13:36:

Hello! Can you provide a BIOS dump of this mainboard? My BIOS EPROM stopped working and now board is dead.

There were few versions of this FIC board, some had VLB slots, some didn't, but they all used the same VIA chipset, check this BIOS image, it should fit your board just fine.

I have a slightly different version (IIRC) of this board and it isn't as slow as mentioned here. I've just dug up a few benchmarking results of it, obtained with the following specs: intel SX33 MHz, WD90C30 ISA video, 4MB RAM, 256KB L2.

superscape 3dbench 1.0 - 23.2 FPS;
cachechk - L2 cache throughtput - 31.0 MB/s, main memory - 17.8 MB/s;
doom 2 - timedemo 2, high detail, hud on, no sound - 13.9 FPS (2001 gametics in 5034 realtics).

evasive wrote on 2020-12-27, 13:58:

That is a posting from 5 years ago. Usually the mods will not be happy when you necro a thread. However if the owner dumps a bios, we from UH19 will be happy too:
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/2399
As we lack that one so far.

Personally, I don't see why necroposting in the old hardware section is a bad thing, technically, there is no end to discussion when it comes to the timeless hardware, something new can always be added to the thread, unlike in some software section posts, where, for e.g., people bring up posts with software issues that were fixed long time ago with newer releases, now that's a paddlin' 😀

Reply 25 of 26, by Darkscop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I managed to create a dump of BIOS file, because EPROM wasnt dead as 1st expected. It is quite different from the one you posted.
But I still dont get a POST. Maybe someone discovers a problem right away from JPEG (Its not the missing capacitors, I am currently renewing them)? I also added BIOS dump.

Re: 80486 BIOS image collection

Thanks for helping.

Reply 26 of 26, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This board won't emit any error beeps (with AMI BIOS) if there is going to be faulty RAM in BANK0. Test MB first with known good/compatible SIMM modules and if it'll still fail to POST, make a thorough visual inspection in the SIMM slots area.