VOGONS

OPL3 Synth - Web Based & Questions

Topic actions

First post, by df00z

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a 486 off eBay, and an SC-55

I set up a web page soft of as a joke, and a bunch of qbasic and batch scripts on the 486, combined with curl and a packet driver.
http://cookwithkevin.com/midi/

It lets you play MIDI files on the real hardware - haha.
The system is running DOS for this.

Been using all sorts of information on these forums, for driver information, found the Voyetra SAPI OPL3 midi driver for DOS here. So, I just registered!

So, I guess the question is, are there any OPL3 drivers for DOS that actually sound like the Windows 95/98 one? SAPI sounds VERY close.
Windows still used OPL back then, not the weird SC-55 soundfont and software synth.

Bristlehog posted that neat px program that can use WSS. Do I need a different .OPL file to make it sound like Windows besides FAT.OPL , does that even exist?
PX Player: play MID and XMI files under DOS

Reply 3 of 34, by CryoSID

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you add OPL2/3 music support?
Adlib Tracker 2 player quits automatically after playing a music and supports multiple OPL2/3 music file formats.
You can download it at http://www.adlibtracker.net/downloads.php

Last edited by CryoSID on 2015-06-01, 23:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 34, by df00z

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stiletto, thanks!
CryoSID: Probably, but I don't know a lot about the format(s)
I see they have a list on their site

A2M (AT2)
A2P (AT2) [pattern]
A2T (AT2) [tiny module]
AMD (Amusic)
CFF (BoomTracker 4.0)
DFM (Digital-FM)
FMK (FM-Kingtracker)
HSC (HSC AdLib Composer / HSC-Tracker)
MTK (MPU-401 trakker)
RAD (Reality AdLib Tracker)
S3M (Scream Tracker 3.x)
SAT (Surprise! AdLib Tracker) {ver.1,5,6}
SA2 (Surprise! AdLib Tracker 2.0) {ver.8,9}
XMS (XMS-Tracker)

Then they have bank formats\instrument formats.

Which formats need additional files to work? I can easily implement ones that don't require separate files for each song.

For files that do need separate files...are there like common ones, like FAT.OPL?

Reply 7 of 34, by df00z

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Um - I added a2m support, it sounds god awful on the real hardware, but OK in dosbox????
And it leaves the sound card in a weird state when it finishes.

Edit: Going to try a different sound card. Had a SB16 clone in there, trying a Vibra 16S.

Sounds just as bad on the Vibra16s....

Reply 8 of 34, by CryoSID

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What Sound Blaster clone did you use and which musics did you try?
Have you tried playing with the tracker instead? The player is still in development and isn't very accurate at times and some musics just sound awful anyway. Try playing Onward by Nula or any music by Diode Milliampere (Diodema).

You shouldn't use a Sound Blaster that doesn't have a discrete OPL3 (marked as YMF262) or a chip with the OPL logo as they use CQM which sounds even worse than DOSBox. What other sound cards do you have?

Edit: You should also check if there is a 8-bit I/O Recovery Time setting in the BIOS. If so set it to 6, 7 or 8.

Reply 9 of 34, by df00z

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Switched to http://adplug.sourceforge.net
Put the Aztech sound card back in. .A2M is working. Adlibtracker outright just doesn't work on the 486. It's probably compiled for a newer CPU or something, dunno. It's all staticky and buzzy. Tried the newer and older version.

Reply 10 of 34, by df00z

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CryoSID wrote:
What Sound Blaster clone did you use and which musics did you try? Have you tried playing with the tracker instead? The player i […]
Show full quote

What Sound Blaster clone did you use and which musics did you try?
Have you tried playing with the tracker instead? The player is still in development and isn't very accurate at times and some musics just sound awful anyway. Try playing Onward by Nula or any music by Diode Milliampere (Diodema).

You shouldn't use a Sound Blaster that doesn't have a discrete OPL3 (marked as YMF262) or a chip with the OPL logo as they use CQM which sounds even worse than DOSBox. What other sound cards do you have?

Edit: You should also check if there is a 8-bit I/O Recovery Time setting in the BIOS. If so set it to 6, 7 or 8.

No settings in the bios for that!
Both cards have a discrete OPL3 chip, marked YMF262-M
The Vibra16s didn't seem to work with the MPU401 in dos with playmidi.exe so the Aztech is back in.
I also tried with no sound card drivers loaded, except set blaster. Same deal, buzzy and staticky, and when it quits it leaves the sound card buzzing.

I didn't try the tracker utility, just the player.

Edit: The file I tried did sound totally OK in DOSBOX, and it sounds like it does in this other player. It's very strange. Also tried messing with the OPL3_LATENCY setting, no difference.

Last edited by df00z on 2015-05-19, 05:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 34, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
df00z wrote:

Switched to http://adplug.sourceforge.net
Put the Aztech sound card back in. .A2M is working. Adlibtracker outright just doesn't work on the 486. It's probably compiled for a newer CPU or something, dunno. It's all staticky and buzzy. Tried the newer and older version.

This might be related to a change introduced in 2.3.53, intended to improve track latency. Could you check with 2.3.52 to see if it works correctly?

Reply 12 of 34, by df00z

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes- both versions tried. .53 and .52. My goal actually is to move this to a different 486. I want this one back for games 😉
I have an old Packard Bell with a busted floppy controller. Once I get that up, I can try on there too.

Edit: And the other player seems to work once. Most .A2M files it says unsupported. The one I played once with it and it was fine, now it just hangs. Arg.

I put adt2play back as the player - if you want to try it.....any ideas? If you play something, please queue up a regular midi with the SAPI driver after, it resets the card it seems.

Edit 2: Saw some other people with similar issues, they report it works on smaller hard drives, but on > a couple GB it stops working and you get this distorted sound. Going to try to copy it to a ram disk tomorrow. The drive I have in here is 8 and on an external IDE controller.

Reply 13 of 34, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking to try this now but the stream won't load for me on any browser/player 🙁

You could try setting opl_latency=1 in the ini file. Should normally only be necessary on OPL2, but may help with crummy clones too.

Must say I really like your idea by the way! 😀

Reply 15 of 34, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems to work now, cool. Both on the site and through the direct stream (got a 404 on that earlier). Looks like it'll take a while before my midi plays though 🤣

You may want one of these to improve your site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSwqnR327fk

Reply 16 of 34, by df00z

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok - the OPL_LATENCY setting DOES work - but only for the tracker program, not the player 🙁
Also, I edited the queueing so it pulls from the top and bottom now - less waiting.

Edit: Argh! I give up, ordering a CT2290, which is more soundblaster-y than a Creative Vibra 16 or an Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16.

Reply 17 of 34, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
df00z wrote:

Edit: Argh! I give up, ordering a CT2290, which is more soundblaster-y than a Creative Vibra 16 or an Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16.

It's still a crummy Creative... try a YMF719 card! 😉

Reply 18 of 34, by df00z

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the card in. It's still happening, even worse. This is in an entirely different 486. So I have 4 sound cards that don't actually work, SB Vibra 16, a real SB 16, and two Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16 cards.

They're working for everything else. And also work in the tracker with OPL_LATENCY set.
Is there any way to set it in the player? Any idea if it does anything negative?

Do you think it's worth me seeing out that YMF719 card? Or is something else going on here?

Reply 19 of 34, by CryoSID

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
df00z wrote:

Do you think it's worth me seeing out that YMF719 card?

I have a YMF718-S, which is pretty much the same, and I have noticed that it's significantly less picky about the OPL3 latency/timings but I have no idea if it will actually work or not.