VOGONS

PS2 Connector

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So the only PS2 port they had was an odd 4x2 PS2 header, the colors are Red, Brown, Orange, Black, I am going to just hook them into my header after removing them from their block, but whats the proper order does anyone know off the top of there head?

Reply 1 of 11, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't want to get it wrong or there could be damage. Mobo header pinouts don't have a standard, it's usually found in the manual. There are a few good threads on this stuff around around here, one: PS/2 Bracket for Asus Motherboard Header

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
firage wrote:

You don't want to get it wrong or there could be damage. Mobo header pinouts don't have a standard, it's usually found in the manual. There are a few good threads on this stuff around around here, one: PS/2 Bracket for Asus Motherboard Header

well i read the manual the pinout isnt in it, i guess ill get an ISA Seruial/PS2 card 🤣 or get a serial mouse and a serial port header

Reply 4 of 11, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:
firage wrote:

You don't want to get it wrong or there could be damage.

What can u damage ?the motherboard ?

Maybe. There's a dead power supply and mouse in one of these threads: PS/2 6 pin cable - are they hard to find?

candle_86 wrote:
firage wrote:

well i read the manual the pinout isnt in it, i guess ill get an ISA Seruial/PS2 card 🤣 or get a serial mouse and a serial port header

PS/2 is definitely worth some effort, much preferable over serial. What motherboard do you have?

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 11, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, they came with their own adapter and there's not much info. Epox used the following pinout with one Slot 1 board: Pin 1 = Data, Pin 2 = CLK, Pin 3 = GND, Pin 4 = NC, Pin 5 = Vcc. It'd be best to make absolutely certain ground and Vcc are the right way around.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 7 of 11, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Btw is there a colour code with this ps/2 conectors?
I have 1 that has green,yellow,brown and black coloured cables and i don't have a multimeter so i don't know which is which.

Reply 8 of 11, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get a $5 multimeter - that should be enough to find out which lines are VCC, GND and which hold data (once you have GND and VCC down you can experiment).
Wouldn't want to kill your (expensive) setup because you shorted out something.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 9 of 11, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

Get a $5 multimeter - that should be enough to find out which lines are VCC, GND and which hold data (once you have GND and VCC down you can experiment).
Wouldn't want to kill your (expensive) setup because you shorted out something.

^^ this ^^

You need to find witch one is +5v and witch one is GND. Once you got that pat, there is no risk of damaging the mainboard. Test the pins on the motherboard first (careful not to short the pins with the multimeter) then test the pins on whatever PS/2 header you own.

This is the most common pinout for a PS/2 header:

soyo2.gif
Filename
soyo2.gif
File size
2.15 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If your PS/2 header looks like that (5 pin block, 2nd pin not connected) then you just need to move the pins at the end of the header to mach your motherboard after you have located GND and VCC+. If you get 5V on the multimeter, red is VCC and black is Ground. If you get -5V it's the other way around.

Reply 10 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its all good, found a PA-2013 ATX board in the trash that works, no more fiddling wtih PS2 headers now 🤣.