VOGONS

First post, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would my ATX Motherboard fit in an eATX case?
I did read the description where it says that mATX, ATX and eATX motherboards fit but I am still not a 100% sure due to my unfortunate luck with these things. I rather not spend 70 dollars on this thing and then have my 440BX not fit into it (trust me that has happened before).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Beige-Compute … =item33a16b12f7

Reply 1 of 11, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes. That's a nice looking case too - it will be oversized for an ATX or mATX board, but it will fit. I'd cut out the fan-grilles to improve airflow, but otherwise it looks like a solid choice - it has a big intake fan position in the front, lots of working room, and lots of clearance for a PSU (which may make wire-management neater, depending on what you're doing). Also looks like they're giving away a diskette drive with it.

The only big downside I'm seeing is that it doesn't appear to have many hard-drive mounts (I'm only seeing two) - it may be missing some front cage thing, or it may just not have many hard-drive mounts. If that doesn't matter to you, then it doesn't matter at all, but if you need more hard-drives you may want to look at another case, or rigging something up for this case (e.g. adding another cage, 5.25"->3.5" adapters, etc).

Reply 2 of 11, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure you get enough standoffs to mount the motherboard on. They go in those square holes on the motherboard tray. Those types may be unique to only that specific model.

In the picture I count 7. 6 is what you need for most ATX boards (that have two rows of screw holes). Some of them are not placed correctly so obviously you'll have to move those.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 3 of 11, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

The only big downside I'm seeing is that it doesn't appear to have many hard-drive mounts (I'm only seeing two) - it may be missing some front cage thing, or it may just not have many hard-drive mounts. If that doesn't matter to you, then it doesn't matter at all, but if you need more hard-drives you may want to look at another case, or rigging something up for this case (e.g. adding another cage, 5.25"->3.5" adapters, etc).

Well, personally I will use just 1 hard drive and I wonder how many would one need?

mockingbird wrote:

Make sure you get enough standoffs to mount the motherboard on. They go in those square holes on the motherboard tray. Those types may be unique to only that specific model.

Wait what, are you saying that to fit an ATX board I would have to use standoffs.

Reply 4 of 11, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheVibe wrote:

Wait what, are you saying that to fit an ATX board I would have to use standoffs.

With this particular case, you need standoffs. Look carefully at the pic with the side off. You see those small square holes? That's where the standoffs go. There are already seven stanoffs in some of the holes, just make sure the seller sends you enough of them (Since there are a quantity of two in the listing, you don't know what you'll be getting).

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 5 of 11, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing." This is what eBay say's.
Well, for an unknown reason I cannot contact to seller about to ask whether standoffs are included.

Would these work fine?
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Brass-Motherbo … standoff+screws

Reply 6 of 11, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The way to get around not being able to contact a seller is to check "This is not about an item" when you start the message. Then in the message you can include the Item# to show him what you're talking about. eBay will always let you send a message if you check the box that it's not about an item, regardless of what the seller has specified in his options.

Regarding those brass standoffs, yes, you will need four of those as well in addition to the square standoffs. The brass standoffs might be a little tricky, because their height once screwed in have to match the height of the square standoffs. Brass standoffs are also not always universal. Some case types use taller ones, and some use shorter ones. Some holes have finer threads, and some have coarser threads. So I can't tell you definitely if those particular ones will work.

Now, looking at the picture, the case is a little odd in that two mounting positions are not present for the middle left and lower left motherboard mounting holes.

I might be able to post some pictures to show you what I'm refering to.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 7 of 11, by TheVibe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the issue I had was that each time I would try to contact the seller I was redirected to the questions about the item page (The beige ATX computer case) and from there I ran into the error saying that I could not contact the seller. So I had to clear cache, browser cookies and I could not access the sellers page through the computer case through my account otherwise I would be redirected to the item question page where I could not contact him. I finally accessed his page by copying and pasting the URL for the seller page.

mockingbird wrote:

Regarding those brass standoffs, yes, you will need four of those as well in addition to the square standoffs.

Wait, are you saying that I need those brass standoffs plus some other ones. I searched for square standoffs on Amazon but could not find any. This seems like it will be more trouble than it is worth.

Reply 8 of 11, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alternatively, you can just delete the item# from the URL in your browser, that way eBay won't automatically make it about an item per se.

Here is a pic to show you what I mean:

f3.jpg
Filename
f3.jpg
File size
226.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Now this is how the holes are set up on my Asus P5B and most ATX motherboards nowaday. Some ATX motherboards have a third row of screw holes.

So those two circled standoffs will have to be moved to the two squares, and the two small holes with arrows going to them need the breass standoffs you linked to.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 11 of 11, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

E-ATX use 3 rows of screw holes but the first 2 rows should be the same as ATX. Nice case, if it was a little cheaper I would buy one.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software