VOGONS

Reply 40 of 123, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suggest you connect it in the way shown in the first pictures of this thread.
Take 5V power out from the FTDI board instead of VCC (which is 3.3V and maybe cannot provide enough current/voltage to be fed into 5V input of GOTEK).

Reply 41 of 123, by teevee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jepael wrote:

I suggest you connect it in the way shown in the first pictures of this thread.
Take 5V power out from the FTDI board instead of VCC (which is 3.3V and maybe cannot provide enough current/voltage to be fed into 5V input of GOTEK).

Thanks for the idea with connecting from the 5V on the FT232 adapter. It didn’t make any difference concerning the bridge. So I have still not found a solution of my problem.

I had an idea of other things that could be wrong.

USB driver:
I was looking at a “Computer forum” and found this comment from Jeff (Link)

by correctly copy/past the password provided and using the right driver for your usb serial adapter to avoid the BSOD, this can be done in 4 minutes.

I’m asking myself “Is the USB adapter available to provide any power at all if it’s not driver recognized?”

Check Cabling:
RX -> TX
TX -> RX

Defect adapter: (Link)
This guy here solved his problem by changing the USB adapter.

Nevertheless, I brought some “Dupont cables” in different colors. I would like to take some pictures, which show my connections as documentation.
• I thought this would be a good idea because then I didn’t have to blame a bad soldering as everything would be plug!

Reply 42 of 123, by teevee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got one-step a head after I updated the USB driver on my computer, but the programming does not get very far before it freezes.

What is then wrong? 🙁

I tried a few times and never manage to get higher than 15/100:
141p6yp.jpg

Reply 44 of 123, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Prob doesn't help, but I used a FTDI-chipped adaptor without changing any settings. Machine was an older Core2 Vaio running Vista.

I read that there are some fake FTDI adaptors around so be wary of that too.

Reply 45 of 123, by teevee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jepael wrote:

Since it is FTDI chip on the serial adapter, go to the driver advanced settings and change the 16 millisecond timeout to 1 millisecond and try again.

These are the settings for my driver?
2rh5tw8.jpg

bjt wrote:

Prob doesn't help, but I used a FTDI-chipped adaptor without changing any settings. Machine was an older Core2 Vaio running Vista.

I read that there are some fake FTDI adaptors around so be wary of that too.

How can i know if mine is fake?

Reply 46 of 123, by teevee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the error and its now flashed:
The problem is the STM32_SerialBridge is not compatible with 64 bit Windows 7, so I found my old Windows 7 32 bit laptop, which worked after 2 tries 😀
• It had a sync error at first try, but worked fully after. (It makes some sync something around 50/100)

Reply 49 of 123, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome.
Gotek's flashed with HxC become pretty powerful tools to have. Maybe them don't have some of the advanced features of the full HxC hardware like double drive (A and B), but for general tasks them practically become the perfect substitute of a real mechanical drive (just don't buy too cheap versions, it will save you explainable problems in the future).

Ofc you want to keep a few working real drives if you have real disks to dump intro images.

Reply 50 of 123, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:

Thanks to everyone in this thread. Managed to get my gotek flashed over the weekend, super pleased with my Tandy now!

http://i.imgur.com/PZlvLDg.jpg

Cool, I have a Gotek in my Tandy too!
The latest version of the HxC firmware actually has a fix that improves writing on Tandy (needed it for my TL/2).

Don't forget to try the DOS file selector! It lets you change between images on the fly & set up slot mappings.
https://github.com/bjt42/hxcfs

Reply 51 of 123, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:
Cool, I have a Gotek in my Tandy too! The latest version of the HxC firmware actually has a fix that improves writing on Tandy ( […]
Show full quote
keenerb wrote:

Thanks to everyone in this thread. Managed to get my gotek flashed over the weekend, super pleased with my Tandy now!

http://i.imgur.com/PZlvLDg.jpg

Cool, I have a Gotek in my Tandy too!
The latest version of the HxC firmware actually has a fix that improves writing on Tandy (needed it for my TL/2).

Don't forget to try the DOS file selector! It lets you change between images on the fly & set up slot mappings.
https://github.com/bjt42/hxcfs

This DOS file selector, it lets you select which disk image is presented to the drive, from the actual machine itself?

As in, no need to press buttons on the front of the gotek?

Reply 53 of 123, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Yep. This video shows it working with a real HxC but it works with HxC Gotek too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfovFoMaL54

Huh, that is super interesting. How does the app even retrieve the list of files from the SD card? Is there like a trigger packet that's sent over the WRITE lines?

Reply 57 of 123, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think i'm confused to what this firmware does.

On the original each position from 000 to 999 can hold 1.44MB of data, thus equivalent to 1000 floppies. You can use image files, so you need to write an image file and reconstruct it. So a 2GB stick will at least be needed.

How different is this process with the HxC firmware? We really need a video to show all you can do with the HxC flashed Gotek.

Reply 58 of 123, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

I think i'm confused to what this firmware does.

On the original each position from 000 to 999 can hold 1.44MB of data, thus equivalent to 1000 floppies. You can use image files, so you need to write an image file and reconstruct it. So a 2GB stick will at least be needed.

How different is this process with the HxC firmware? We really need a video to show all you can do with the HxC flashed Gotek.

You don't need do the partitioning and writting process with HxC firmware, just copy all your image files straight to the usb key along with a little configuration file created with the device configuration utility (windows and linux versions provided and available), that's all.

There are already a lot of videos which show what HxC firmware can do. Just go and search at Youtube, or check the manual at HxC home site.

Reply 59 of 123, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great but what about the numbers? Do the numbers still stay relevant? Or instead you can only have one position? I saw different videos where people have different numbers selected.