VOGONS

First post, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently put together a pentium II machine and decided to include a 5.25 floppy drive in it. This got me thinking, I have a whole bunch of disks rotting away in storage, why not rescue their contents?

I'm pretty sure I could use either winimage or rawrite to create disk images, but is there a better way to go about this? (With what I already have, not really worth getting something like a KryoFlux in this case)

Does anybody have any input on this?

Reply 1 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With my KryoFlux I have been able to make good images of protected booters. WinImage and RawWrite cannot do this. And with KryoFlux you can read disks from other platforms, like Amiga, though I have not yet had a chance to try this. Plus I do not have to fire up a dinosaur to read them.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I couldn't use VGACOPY with mine, i tried a bunch of other programs and only found RESQFLPY to work well, though it has problems:

- saves to a fixed filename you'll have to rename after
- you must specify the size of the disk first

Copyprotected stuff didn't matter as I was really only doing this for my personal disks and applications...which I had been still using until 1996 when It had to go for a junky tape drive 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 9, by joe6pack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
I couldn't use VGACOPY with mine, i tried a bunch of other programs and only found RESQFLPY to work well, though it has problems […]
Show full quote

I couldn't use VGACOPY with mine, i tried a bunch of other programs and only found RESQFLPY to work well, though it has problems:

- saves to a fixed filename you'll have to rename after
- you must specify the size of the disk first

Copyprotected stuff didn't matter as I was really only doing this for my personal disks and applications...which I had been still using until 1996 when It had to go for a junky tape drive 😀

Hmm, RESQFLPY looks interesting, much more low level than winimage which I'm using now. I doubt I'll run into any copy protection. most of these disks are copies of the originals anyways and lots of business related stuff. I did find a 4 disk set of Amstrad system software...DOS & GEM. I have no idea what model the Amstrad is, but I know it's still around somewhere.

Reply 5 of 9, by Jinxter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am trying to find Resqflpy.exe or some other program to resuqe my old floppies.
Alle links i find on google is broken.

Check out my YouTube channel: Retro Erik https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroErik
My collection: https://retro.hageseter.com

Reply 6 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm also tending towards KryoFlux or a similar device. Not only will it make a copy on the logical level, but also capture the physical details,
like condition of the disk surface, strenght of the magnetic field, etc.
What you get is quite an authentic replica of a physical medium, including all its flaws.

joe6pack wrote:

I did find a 4 disk set of Amstrad system software...DOS & GEM. I have no idea what model the Amstrad is, but I know it's still around somewhere.

Cool! Does it also come with DOSPlus ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@joe6pack Do you have any use for the utilities that came with the fifth Amstrad floppy (purple) ?
It think these were necessary to setup the original fixed disk properly.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 9, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Winimage works fine for unprotected disks. However! Don't put any floppy into a system with Win9x without copyprotecting it first. Win9x will overwrite your OEM ID on first access as part of an illconceived disk change detection. A few of my original floppies got modified by this already. The modified ID will actually prevent some apps from installing from floppy.

For copy-protected disks I use Teledisk, this works for most (but not all) floppies. I believe the weak sector protection used by Lemmings etc. can only be replicated by Kryoflux or maybe one of the Central Point copy boards.