VOGONS

Socket 3 boards with PCI - Worth it?

Topic actions

First post, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Should you just stick with VLB on Socket 3? Or can you go PCI? I honestly had never seen one with PCI until recently and need to get a new 486 board because mine died.

Reply 1 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thraka wrote:

Should you just stick with VLB on Socket 3? Or can you go PCI? I honestly had never seen one with PCI until recently and need to get a new 486 board because mine died.

PCI and PS/2 might be worth it. But you might need to pay a bit more.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 22, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it comes down to personal preference.
Some people prefer VLB as this architecture was designed with your 486 in mind.
However, you might find that VLB expansion cards (HDD controller & especially "good" graphics cards) are a bit more expensive and hard to come by these days than your PCI cards.

I've have both VLB & PCI 486 motherboards that have PS/2 connectors but, finding the former could prove to be challenging.
PCI motherboards normally has their controllers built into the motherboard, whereas with VLB motherboards, you require an expansion card (I'm now referring to your generic motherboards).
If you're lucky, you might find a combo motherboard that has at least 1 VLB slot and PCI slots.
You also might be able to take advantage of the PCI slots if you have a 3D graphics card.

Reply 6 of 22, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometimes, if you are lucky enough, you don't need to choose. 🤣

Pictured here is FIC-VIP-IO:

vip_486.jpg

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 22, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me, 486 (66 and higher) is "VLB".

If you want a 3d accelerator, or easier source of parts, or "simplicity", just go socket 5-7 Pentium vanilla (or MMX).

On the other hand, I've sucessfully sold all my AT stuff, including ~10 complete towers/desktops and ~20 AT sets.
I fit them all into the "too much trouble" category. No PS2/USB/coin cell battery on most 486s, brackets everywhere etc etc.
One can substitute 386-486 speeds by playing with caches/bus speeds on a decent ATX (super) socket7 board.

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 8 of 22, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Thraka: When you say "worth it", what prices are we talking about. Some of the prices of the better Socket 3 boards out there are quite ridiculous. And by better, I mean with PS2 mouse headers that work. Non coin-cell batteries can be worked around.

So far, every Socket 3 build I have, I end up strapping a POD83/ Cyrix 586/ AMD 586 onto it, then ask my self why I don't use a Socket 7 build instead and slow it down?

Reply 9 of 22, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I went with a Pentium 3 machine for all my accelerated game stuff. Runs win 98 really well, I can do just about any Windows game that doesn't really work on a modern computer. A lot of DOS stuff works fine also. However, I wanted to do a 486 build for completeness. Any problematic game would just be shoved and played on that.

I only have 1 VLB video card and quite a few PCI ones. It seems most the PCI boards have disk controllers so I don't have to worry about that.

I guess if I can find a good deal on one, go PCI.

Reply 11 of 22, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

Yes. VLB is a bit of a pain and hard to get. And you have less options.
PCI can be quite good on socket 3 if you get a good board.

In your opinion, what would you say are good PCI based socket 3 boards?
Which combo (VLB & PCI) socket 3 boards are the good ones? From what I've read, on some combo boards the PCI bus wasn't always implemented correctly (in terms of the bridging between the PCI bus and the VLB).

Reply 12 of 22, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you only want a 486 to be able to play DOS games, get a socket 7 system instead. AMD K5/K6 can be slowed down quite significantly by disabling the caches. Much less trouble.

If you want a 486 for the sake of having a 486, go for it. PCI is less painful, VLB is cooler, IMO.

Reply 13 of 22, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Yes. VLB is a bit of a pain and hard to get. And you have less options.
PCI can be quite good on socket 3 if you get a good board.

In your opinion, what would you say are good PCI based socket 3 boards?
Which combo (VLB & PCI) socket 3 boards are the good ones? From what I've read, on some combo boards the PCI bus wasn't always implemented correctly (in terms of the bridging between the PCI bus and the VLB).

The board I use is a Acer AP43. It doesn't have VLB though. Just PCI and ISA.

I use an S3 ViRGE (but other PCI cards work okay) and a PCI USB 2.0 controller. I also use an ISA ethernet card and ISA sound card.
No significant problems.

Reply 15 of 22, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I patiently waited a year (or more...) to find a socket 3 486 with ISA and PCI slots.
Finally got it, a 486/DX66. With ram
Why? Because of the Voodoo 2 3D accelerator card I have. (yeah, I know I could just stick a PCI 2D/3D SVGA card in it).

I was going to put it in my lunchbox case, but I couldn't find a video card that would work with the built-in display.

I wish I could find a desktop AT case for it.
I'm also tempted to get a broken Compaq Portable off of Ebay and retrofit it into that as a case.

Reply 17 of 22, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think PCI Socket 3 486 motherboards might cost more then a generic VLB but the add on cards are cheaper (video and network built in I/O and IDE).

If you just want a 486 board then get whatever you can buy cheap.

You have to be a hardware nut (like me) to buy 486 boards in ISA only, ISA+VLB, ISA+PCI, ISA+EISA, MCA. Most of mine are VLB because I like collecting the cards but the other ones are cool too.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 18 of 22, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its an old topic but i would surely go with pci, so i can stuff in some extremely fast 3d cards like riva128 and even geforce2mx, and run some crazy games and applications:
quake3
need for speed 3/4
3dmark99
3dsmax
etc.

Reply 19 of 22, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Socket 3 boards with PCI work just fine.

I have a PCI 486 with am AMD 486-133 processor (Model name 5x86-133-P75 I think)

Just make sure you stick with an ISA based sound card. There doesn't seem to be any proper DOS sound card emulation support on these very early PCI chipsets.

I also have a VLB based 486 with a DX-66 processor on it. But VLB cards are expensive and/or difficult to find, so the opportunities on this board are so much more limited.