VOGONS

Help with New Win98/DOS Retro Build

Topic actions

First post, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, been lurking and soaking up as much info to reinvigorate my DOS/early Windows knowledge, and finally decided to make an account. About a week ago, I came across a local spot that offered the chance to piece together a retro system for a pittance. Since I've been reading this site and toying around with the idea (not to mention rebuying old classics online), I wanted to try my hand at tinkering around and seeing if this is worth my time vs a well-configured DOSBOX setup (it's just not the same, as I'm sure many of you understand, although I do like the Chromium soundfonts).

So, I got the following machine (will post pics later):
Gigabyte GA-7ZX motherboard (KT133, Socket A)
Duron 800 CPU
512MB PC133 SDRAM
CDROM drive
40GB hard drive
onboard SB PCI128 (CT5880 chip)
Radeon Atlantis 9600 256MB (AGP)
GeForce MX4000 128MB (PCI)

So, I put it together, brought it home, and successfully loaded Windows 98 SE on it using the Radeon 9600. Now the particular thing that made me choose this motherboard is that I saw an integrated Creative chip on it that offered DOS compatibility. It's labeled a CT5880, and is an SB128 PCI chip. The cool thing is that by installing the Win 98 drivers, it also edits the autoexec and config files with environment strings and makes a DOS utility folder (C:\SBPCI). After playing some DOS games via command windows and DOS mode, it works great for Soundblaster and General MIDI, although the sound quality is debatable. So next I installed my copy of Clive Barker's Undying but it stutters a bit. After researching, I realized that the little Duron can't quite keep up with the CPU overhead of the CT5880 chip (which I later learned utilized software rather than hardware).

Fast forward to today, and I dug out my old Audigy 2 Platinum. After fiddling around, I successfully installed the Audigy on a fresh reload of Windows 98 SE, and got much better Windows sound. Fired up Undying, and yup, smoother frames! What sucks - no DOS sound. Also, the Radeon doesn't like SVGA modes in Tie Fighter (I found that out here). So I switched to the MX4000, and Undying still plays ok, but seems to be missing objects and textures. To fix the DOS sound issue, I reenabled the onboard CT5880 and installed the drivers in Win 98 (now having dual sound cards in Win98). I can now get DOS games to play sound, but (duh) I have to switch the line out cable to hear it.

Here's my conundrum. I really don't want to sink much money into this cheap build until I know I should keep it, but I am considering the following components:

Athlon 1.2 GHz (has to be 200FSB)
GeForce 4 Ti4200 (for VESA SVGA compatibility and better DirectX features to fix the Undying textures)

That would get me more Windows speed and keep DOS SVGA compatibility, but my concern is also about sound. This motherboard has an ISA slot, and I am toying around with the idea of getting an AWE32/64 for authentic DOS sound (really I just want the cheapest Soundblaster option for DOS with good retro sound and general midi support, or is FM better?). I kinda don't want to throw away the gift of onboard legacy PCI128. I guess my questions are:

1. Should I just use the onboard PCI128 for DOS (comes with ok 8mb soundfonts for GM, SB sounds somewhat ok) and use the Audigy 2 for Win98, or disable the onboard and add an ISA sound card? If so, which one? Any Windows conflicts?
2. If I keep the CT5880 for DOS and Audigy 2 for Windows, what would the optimal configuration be for getting Windows sound only from the Audigy and not letting the PCI128 mix in, but still get sound in DOS games?
3. Is the GeForce Ti4200 a wise choice considering my goals? I don't think I have anything much more demanding than DirectX 8, as 9 games bleed into more CPU power and XP anyway.
4. Should I not invest in a CPU and just go with another platform (again, cautious as that involves more money and space).

As I look through my library of old games, I have things like Warcraft 2 BNE, Undying, Duke 3D Atomic, Phantasmagoria, Tie Fighter, X-Wing (both collector's DOS cds), KOTOR 1 and 2, Dark Forces, Diablo 1 and 2, Redneck Rampage, and a bunch of DOS favorites. I think some or most of these can be run on modern machines in some way or another (not GOG), but it might not be perfectly playable. I could use any advice. I should probably just be gracious and keep the platform for the onboard DOS sound. I think it is harder to get early Windows games working right than DOS games on new systems,but being able to play them both on one machine is a goal. Thanks if you made it to the end of this.

*Update 5/29 Here's some pics:

Attachments

• 20150529_112149.jpg
    Filename
    20150529_112149.jpg
    File size
    2.23 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20150529_112028.jpg
    Filename
    20150529_112028.jpg
    File size
    3.4 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20150529_111958.jpg
    Filename
    20150529_111958.jpg
    File size
    3.09 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20150529_111759.jpg
    Filename
    20150529_111759.jpg
    File size
    3.63 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20150529_111711.jpg
    Filename
    20150529_111711.jpg
    File size
    2.82 MiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by RetroBoogie on 2015-05-29, 22:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 31, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Socket A CPUs are very cheap so you may as well get a faster Athlon. Be aware these run hot though so make sure you have decent thermal paste and cooling.

Having an ISA slot is an advantage of early Socket A builds, so you may as well take advantage. Any AWE64 is fine, just get the cheapest one you see. If you want to stick with a single card for both DOS and Windows, I have had good experiences with Vortex 2-based cards.

Either the 9600 or Ti4200 will be more than enough for this build. The Ti4200 will likely have better DOS compatibility though.

Socket A builds are generally very cheap to put together so a good platform for experimentation. The biggest problem is getting them stable, as they run hot, stress power supplies and voltage regulators, and many of the boards and matching video cards were manufactured at the time of the capacitor plague. KT133 wasn't the most stable either. If you do get it stable it would be a great fast DOS/Win98 machine though.

Reply 2 of 31, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroBoogie wrote:

1. Should I just use the onboard PCI128 for DOS (comes with ok 8mb soundfonts for GM, SB sounds somewhat ok) and use the Audigy 2 for Win98, or disable the onboard and add an ISA sound card? If so, which one? Any Windows conflicts?

If you have an ISA slot, you really want an ISA card for DOS

2. If I keep the CT5880 for DOS and Audigy 2 for Windows, what would the optimal configuration be for getting Windows sound only from the Audigy and not letting the PCI128 mix in, but still get sound in DOS games?

You can just disable devices you don't want to be available in device manager 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd recommend you a Soltek SL-75KAV. This board was the basis of probably the best computer i had in my entire life. It's funny but this was one of the most stable computers i owned. I had a Palomino core which did ran hot, but AMD''s thermal limits were high and CPU's ran fine even if they seem to be running to hot. It was the nature o their fabbing process at that time.

The KT-133A was improved to the point i could never complain about its stability. I don't know how well the system will behave running Windows 98, as i was running XP at the time. Athlon XP's completely destroy Willammete Pentium 4's and run neck to neck with clocked Northwood P4's.

The Soltek has integrated Audio but it also has an ISA slot, so get a YMF-71x card which will give excellent DOS capabilities and compatibility. Some of these cards have integrated YMF-704C which is GM capable. You can't go wrong with these cards. Use teh Audigy 2 for Windows only. I think i GeForce 2 will do the trick for what you need, i remember testing a Geforce 2 Ti with good success in DOS.

Reply 4 of 31, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjt wrote:

Socket A CPUs are very cheap so you may as well get a faster Athlon. Be aware these run hot though so make sure you have decent thermal paste and cooling.

Having an ISA slot is an advantage of early Socket A builds, so you may as well take advantage. Any AWE64 is fine, just get the cheapest one you see. If you want to stick with a single card for both DOS and Windows, I have had good experiences with Vortex 2-based cards.

philscomputerlab wrote:

If you have an ISA slot, you really want an ISA card for DOS

You know, I think you are both right about the ISA slot. I should consider that the gift of the build and not the curious onboard sound.

philscomputerlab wrote:

You can just disable devices you don't want to be available in device manager 😀

Yeah, I remember doing that last night, and it makes sense (DOS detection is separate). I think what confused me is the two software installs put two different sound utilities in the taskbar for volume, and both of them produced dings when I played with the volume slider. I suppose they're just both linked to the same Windows event. I'll find a way to unload the onboard at startup.

carlostex wrote:

I think i GeForce 2 will do the trick for what you need, i remember testing a Geforce 2 Ti with good success in DOS.

I was considering that as well. I'll look up some benchmarks first, as I'd rather be CPU limited than GPU.

Thanks for the replies gents - those are some useful nudges. Question - would I be better served by an Awe32 with expandable memory for big sound fonts, or is the SIMMCON adapter reasonably priced for the AWE64? Either way, I think I'd rather have the CQM than the OPL due to the fast CPU (I've read on here about speed sensitivity of genuine OPLs).

Reply 5 of 31, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On the last question, both will achieve the same results in terms of loading soundfonts (the AWE32 has 30-pin sockets and the AWE64 will use a 72-pin simm via the SIMMCON adaptor).
It merely comes down to whether you prefer an AWE32 or an AWE64.

Last edited by jesolo on 2015-05-28, 19:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 31, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know, Audigy and Audigy 2 has DOS support. There might be even some 3rd party drivers and the like might be involved, but I remember a full site almost dedicated to this issue. Googling may help.

EDIT: I just found a thread about that:

Audigy 2 unofficial DOS driver

In short, it is not suggested for many reasons.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 31, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using the on-board in true dos or just running Dos games in windows? if its real dos then your using the exact same emulation as the Audigy 2 would be anyway without the headaches as each PCI card got harder and harder to get working in true dos.

I've never had sound coming from both sound cards?! if you set the primary sound source in Control Panel to the Audigy then that should be used unless a program specifically told otherwise.

I haven't had any speed problems with OPL on my P3 1Ghz and AWE32 but don't play many games that use it either. I would think games that have trouble would be more affected by CPU speed already.
In reality I doubt I would notice the difference between a true OPL and CQM as I got into computers when 99% of games were using Sound Blaster compatible, but as my SB16 back in the day had a true OPL chip I got an AWE32 for the 1 or 2 games to sound the same and they were slightly cheaper.
Otherwise I would have gone for the cleaner sound from a AWE64

Reply 8 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroBoogie wrote:

Either way, I think I'd rather have the CQM than the OPL due to the fast CPU (I've read on here about speed sensitivity of genuine OPLs).

I've never had any OPL3 issues with very fast CPU's. In my opinion if you want to use an AWE64 for Sound Blaster compatibility and enjoy some EMU8000 tunes i would agree but if you don't care about AWE synth there are far better cards out there.

Reply 9 of 31, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Naaa... Never had that speed issue with the OPL chip and stuff like fast (when fast is considered fast for dos) CPU's.
Perhaps it is just a question of trying to run OPL past 100mhz FSB. Anyway...

The build, that you have gathered parts for you'r Win98 and Dos gaming machine, seems to be pretty hefty stuff for this.
The question here, for me, is how old Dos games you tend to run on this rig. If it's games like Duke3D and Doom. Fine.
As the games will be EMM386 compatible games, and therefor the TSR for setting a PCI soundcard is of no big deal at all.
You know... PCI not being able to do these DMA and IRQ calls, that are required for most if not all Dos games.
If the case is XMS compatible games, then go for an ISA. EMM386 games, then go for a nice SB16 compatible PCI card.
You know... To let Windows98 do all this SB16 stuff. Just don't go for really new motherboards.
An example is my Asrock K7S41, that even with Win98SE and SB-Live does not work at all, with the SB16 legacy device.
Even though it is installed perfectly in device manager, the function is not working. (it's all chipset related here)

Hope you can make something out of my post. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 31, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly because of the instablility of early SocketA I'd get a cheap KT333/KT400/KT600/Nforce2 board pair it with DDR and an Athlon XP, I'd go for an XP Thoroughbred B type as they are very cool running. And you can downclock it if you want to. An XP 1700+ for instance can be set at 100x11 for 1100mhz which being that its an XP would be about equal to an Athlon Classic 1300 chip.

Reply 11 of 31, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the responses - lots of helpful advice. I stopped by the local PC shop after work and scoured their inventory. Wouldn't you know it - I found a Duron 1GHz 200FSB! What got me excited about looking it up is that is is compatible with my motherboard and also supports SSE, something the Duron 800 does not. Guess it's due to the new core and all. Anyway, I get home and install the new Duron - nothing. I was pretty bummed, but also remembered that last night I found a BIOS update. I swapped the Duron 800 back in so I could boot, ran into DOS mode and flashed the BIOS, then reinstalled the Duron 1GHz. Success! The system is overall more snappy and responsive. Interesting note: Undying now displays textures properly. Still stutters though, probably due to using a PCI MX4000. So I think I'll keep the new 1GHz Duron and save money from not buying the Athlon I was looking at.

Also, I found 2 72-pin EDO SIMMs that I think are 32MB, which would be perfect for an AWE32, but I may just spring for the AWE64 and get a SIMMCON adapter. A little more money, but would I think complete the build (with the ti4200 AGP).

Brostenen, in response to your question, yes - I have Duke 3d Atomic Edition and DOOM 1 and 2, and already Duke 3d ran great in SVGA with the Duron 800. I also fancy me some Warcraft 2 and have a copy of Blood I'd like to try out.

For some reason though, now I can't get General MIDI to work in Tie Fighter CD, perhaps a conflict I can't quite solve yet. I'll play with the IRQs and perhaps install DOS 6.22 along Win 98SE.

Reply 12 of 31, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroBoogie wrote:

Also, I found 2 72-pin EDO SIMMs that I think are 32MB, which would be perfect for an AWE32, but I may just spring for the AWE64 and get a SIMMCON adapter.

AWE32 cards utilize 30pin SIMMs, not 72pin. Also you need them in pairs. This means you need two 16MB 30 pin SIMMs to populate an AWE32 to its max (it will use 28MB as far as I know)

But you can of course use on of that 32MB 72pin SIMMs for your AWE64 (IT will use 28 MB), providing that you have a SIMMCON.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 13 of 31, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did the same mistake, when I got my first AWE32. I initially thought that they were 70pin ram. Well... Vogons quickly sorted me out on that.
And thankfully for that, because I did not buy the 2x16mb 70pin I was looking for at that time. 😁
(now the CT3900 is being stored for the future, as I am using Gold for 95/99-Dos and SB16 for 90/95-Dos)

Reply 14 of 31, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ha ha, yeah you guys are spot on with having the wrong RAM. Learning is hard. 😀

Anyways I sorted my issues out with the PCI128 in DOS. Just had to pay attention to which IRQ the BIOS assigned it during startup, then edit the ini with the right IRQ. Everything works again, but to be honest the FM is so crap. Wolfenstein doesn't sound the same AT ALL, and it's making me go for gold (AWE64) quicker than I thought. Right now I'm trying to understand how I got Tie Fighter to work in SVGA with the GeForce 4 MX, because right now after a fresh reinstall I can't get it to run at all, in Win98 or DOS mode. It just says can't use SVGA, loading, and dumps back to the C prompt.

Reply 15 of 31, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh nonono... Gold is best for AWE compatible games.
What you want to go for, is an AWE32 with a real OPL chip then.
I just did not think you wanted to play that old DOS games.
On the other hand. AWE64 Gold are a better choice when emulating Adlib.
It's a hard choice there.... Try this site, it's all about AWE-ness 😁

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.dk/2012/07/so … 64-options.html

EDIT:
According to the site, the following model numbers have that chip.
CT:1747, CT:2760, CT:3900, CT:3980, CT:3780 and CT:3910

Reply 16 of 31, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I've whittled my choices down to two: a SB Pro 2.0 and an AWE64 Gold. Reflecting back on what I was used to hearing, the games I am interested in playing now, and the desire to hear everything in it's full range of glory, I think you can decide which one I chose.

My SB Pro 2.0 (CT1600) should be here soon, and I can't wait. 😀

Reply 17 of 31, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, my SB Pro 2.0 arrived today (CT1600). Inspected it, set jumpers, and plugged it in. In DOS, there was no configuration, but I got some low and weird sound issues in some games. I installed the SB Pro 2.0 driver disks from the Vogons driver library as well as the Creative update disk, and I use the SBP-MIX program to set line levels. I can get pure FM sound now in many games, but some now refuse to detect my card (perhaps speed-sensitive games?). I even tried a dual config of using my onboard PCI128 for just midi and SB Pro for FM, and in some protected mode games it works great, like Doom and Duke 3D (I attached a stereo cable from the speaker output of the PCI128 to the input of the SB Pro for mixing), but in some games (Wolf3d) the sound works great for a minute then gets garbled and locks up. It didn't do this when I used just the PCI128 for emulation.

Are Apollo 133 chipsets known to have speed issues with ISA cards? If so, that may be a bummer since I have a KT133A on the way. 🙁

I've been researching the forum and see that some say replacing the caps will do nothing (as I've noticed some bulging going on, but it still works for the time being). You guys say the OPL3 is not speed sensitive, but there must be something going on. Even in the TEST-SBP program only the 4-operator FM music works. The 2-Operator is completely scrambled and the Digitized sound doesn't do anything. Did I purchase the wrong ISA card for a socket A build? I plan on possible using the SB Pro for FM/Music and in some games the PCI128 for just MIDI (like DOOM and DUKE). I even went into the BIOS and disabled the AGP enhancements - same thing. PCI delay - same thing. Swapped AGP to PCI video card - same thing. Any ideas?

Reply 18 of 31, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What games do you have issues with? Monkey Island for example would have issues on such a fast machine.

You can try disabling the caches through BIOS. This will slow down your computer massively.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 19 of 31, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ISA sound cards are very often speed-sensitive. If programs adhere to the specification and implement proper delays when accessing the card everything is fine, but stuff like you describe often happens, especially with older sound cards and faster CPUs. I understand that AWE64 is nearly immune to this so it is well suited for a faster machine. I remember having garbled sounds in Populous already in a 386 (must have been something like sound blaster 1.0 to 2.0).
If you have a P2 or P3 than disabling caches should slow it down to 286 level which would be better for an SBPro. Oh, and you could of course try to set higher 8bit delays ("8-Bit I/O Recovery Time") in the BIOS setup and/or set a lower ISA clock there, that might help, too.