VOGONS

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a packard bell multimedia L190 here's my issue

I've been trying to install windows 2000/xp and it's a nightmare with this board for some reason. (YES I know the machines specs is suited for 9x) The xp/2000 disks give me a "cannot boot from cd code 4" error when it tried to boot from them. Through research I've have concluded it is because the disk either has no floppy emulation , or it has floppy emulation. aparently on old machines where booting from a cd was a new thing have this issue.

So i tried installing xp by using a different computer to initially install the files on the drive , and then moving the drive over to the packard bell to continue the setup , but again it won't boot the drive.

I then tried to install windows 98 so I could run the setup from within windows , but the 98 installation just freezes when It reaches the "start menu items" stage.

I then tried to copy the original 2gb windows 98 hard drive the computer came with , with disk copy software. So I could boot into it's original os on a new drive and from there install xp/2000. But again it refuses to boot the copied drive.

I then tried to boot puppy linux from a cd but it also doesn't want to boot that either. It makes it past the section asking about what mouse I'm using then has an error.

So right now the only thing the board will boot to is the original 2gb hard drive it came with , with windows 98 on it. I DO NOT want to loose this drive because it's the only thing that works. I need a way to either

A: Copy the original hard drive to a new drive so the machine will boot into windows 98 on a new drive and I can install windows xp/2000 from there , the original drive will run the xp setup if I start it in windows , but I don't want to overwrite the drive.

B: Find a way for the machine to boot the xp/2000 disks because of the "floppy emulation" related problem it seems to have. maybe some form of a boot loader or dos can be booted first?

Reply 1 of 12, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also , it it possible if i start the xp setup from within 98 , that it will give me the option of installing it on a different drive , or will it automatically overwrite the windows 98 installation?

Becuase if it gives me that option I could simply attach both drives , boot into 98 and install xp on the other drive.

Reply 2 of 12, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:

I then tried to copy the original 2gb windows 98 hard drive the computer came with , with disk copy software. So I could boot into it's original os on a new drive and from there install xp/2000. But again it refuses to boot the copied drive.

Okay, this one really ought to have worked. Did you prep the drive with "format c:/s"? You need that /s to make it bootable.

EDIT: Also you don't need "disk copy software" - you can just plain old copy the files with W98. It's really not picky.

Reply 3 of 12, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was using easeus drive copy

SO If i put the new drive in as drive D. load windows and bring up the dos prompt and just type "format d:/s". then just drag all the files from C to D that would work?

Reply 4 of 12, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it's that simple.

Minor comments: I've never done this with the command prompt in W98. It certainly ought to work. Just FWIW, I've always used the W98 startup floppy for format for W98.

Also if the contents are valuable I'd use rsync to copy the drive contents because by default it checksums every file it transfers. I use grsync in linux to do this because it's so easy that way. I've never used rsync in w98 so can't help there. ALSO I run a badblocks wipe on the new drive before anything else, to make really sure all the sectors are okay. I'm old; I've learned to be pretty cautious of Murphy.

Reply 7 of 12, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you do an F8 boot and do it logged? If on the command prompt, try running WIN.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 11 of 12, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok I've tried a couple times and copying the drive doesn't seem to work. the computer simply will not boot the same os if it on another drive besides the original.

In that case , will the xp cd allow me to install xp on a different drive other than c if i use the original drive?

Reply 12 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

XP will definitely let you install to another drive, it will even let you keep Windows 98 and set up a boot menu for you.
BUT it will want to modify the system files on C:\

I also found this
http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/83755-35-insta … ows-floppy-boot

Although I'm surprised you cant install 98, something doesn't sound right. That should be as simple as copying the Win98 folder from CD to the HDD, you can then run setup from that folder without any CD (You still need to have formatted with the /s command beforehand as mentioned above)