VOGONS

First post, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Inspired by the evolution of PC audio with Monkey Island video, and my growing sound card collection, I decided to try doing something in the same direction as LGR, but noticeably different in the approach.

I am currently working on a website about sound cards, that would be a cross between a wiki, a database, and a driver repository.
The main concept is to provide recordings of game soundtracks, on each soundcard the game supports.
The user can then play the soundtrack, and switch between different sound cards as it is playing, to help compare the different devices, live.

Well I uploaded a video showcasing prototypes of the different modes -- Sequential, Additive, Symphony (all at once).
Still, I know it is not the website itself, but at least it can give an idea of how it could sound (click for video).

Let me know what you thought of this, and if you have any ideas/comments/suggestions they are more than welcome.
When I move forward with the project I will let you guys know 😀

Last edited by Beegle on 2015-06-04, 01:14. Edited 1 time in total.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 1 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Go for it! Big time Ultima fan and always appreciate stuff like this!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice! Go for it.

Do you have all these sound cards in hardware or are you using DOSBox for some versions? That's something I always look for in recordings and often the comments don't mention this.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 12, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Go for it! Big time Ultima fan and always appreciate stuff like this!

I'm glad! Thanks!

philscomputerlab wrote:

Very nice! Go for it. Do you have all these sound cards in hardware or are you using DOSBox for some versions? That's something I always look for in recordings and often the comments don't mention this.

Thank you!!
In this instance I used DosBox to record the Tandy 3-voice soundtrack (I don't plan on buying a Tandy), but all others were taken from real hardware.

F2bnp wrote:

That was a fantastically made video! Keep it up!

Thank you so much. There will be others in time 😀

carlostex wrote:

Too bad the Covox Sound Master is still a bit far from being replicated. I guess its the last card Ultima VI supports. Excellent job, well done!

Thank you, I appreciate it.
Yep, I know about the Sound Master, and wasn't sure if I should post now, or wait for the replica. I thought it already illustrated the concept well enough as it is, to stand on its own. But at least the SSI-2001 replica was used for this video!

keropi wrote:

really nice!!!

Thank you. Glad you like it!

Well, the response has been VERY positive from what I can see, and it came from many people I respect very much so it means something to me. I will let you know when there are new videos available and about advancements on the website. Cheers!

Reply 8 of 12, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

The LAPC-I still sounds better than a lot of modern sound cards.

That's because the companies in charge of making modern soundcards forgot what soundcards were all about 😀 who needs lame hi-fi anyways, gimme the brzzzzghggghggg of a SID anyday.

also super cool vid!

Reply 10 of 12, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But but! I can't hold the emulator in my hands and kiss it goodnight, knowing it will be there on my desk in the morning waiting to greet me with its warm tones :p

Last edited by ZanQuance on 2015-06-04, 05:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Btw, just in time for U6's 25th anniversary today 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 12, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

The LAPC-I still sounds better than a lot of modern sound cards.

I agree that each instrument sounds better individually on the LAPC-I, but when put together I find the result to be... cold.
Hard to explain but hey, to each their tastes! And that's exactly why I'm making videos like this one.

ZanQuance wrote:

gimme the brzzzzghggghggg of a SID anyday. also super cool vid!

Thank you!
I'm fairly new to SID but I would tend to agree. Even if the sound produced is more primitive, I feel it conveys emotion more strongly.

Dominus wrote:

Btw, just in time for U6's 25th anniversary today 😉

I guarantee you that this wasn't intended! But indeed this is a great coincidence and this is super-awesome.