VOGONS

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings all. I have been working on many systems lately. One of which is a Gayeway 2000 4SX-33. It has AM486 Bios by phoenix. When I have my Sound blaster pro 2 installed Doom/DoomII hangs when I have digital SFX enabled. I read on here, in an old post from 2011, that this particular revision of my bios (1.0.7) has a memory shadowing error that messed with the sound mapping for the SB pro cards. The original poster says that when he updated the bios to 4.04 it fixed it. Clicky I'm wondering if there are updated bios for my board, how to get them, and how to flash them. I know it would require a blank floppy that's an MS-DOS boot diskette, the .rom file and a bios flashing utility. I am just looking for guidance and help on finding the files. If they exist.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 1 of 8, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having trouble finding Bios updates for mine too. I also own a 4SX-33, configured with a 486 overdrive 66MHz and 16MB of ram. There is this webpage I found that reports that the memory shadowing error can occur if the system has more than 16MB of ram installed. It claims you have to change some Bios setting to fix it. Or instead you can just keep the system at 16MB as I have, so you can avoid any problems.

Here, click on this: http://webpages.charter.net/dperr/micronics/gw2k_faq.htm

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 2 of 8, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh wow! I had recollections of finding a note about that memory issue. I am still looking for the bios update. Maybe it will be found one day. Thank you for your reply. I will look through the post you linked to. Thank you so much.

Reply 4 of 8, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

click I found the bios! I found the fixed bios update! I will test it tomorrow, but I just found it!

Reply 6 of 8, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will. I just need to dig out my system and hope it doesn't brick it. Then test to see if it fixes the error.

Reply 7 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Many 486s came with a UV-ROM bios, so I'm not sure if you'll be able to flash it that way. You may need an USB EEPROM flasher for this

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 8, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dont't you mean a EPROM flasher?

Either way, those devices are around 50-100 bucks for the cheap ones, which is a number I've never gotten. Might as well try to find a BIOS chip with the new version already on it, would probably be cheaper.