VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently got a problem with my K6XV3+/66.

I can no longer use my K6-2 (500MHz@2.2V) at the stock settings. It will post and I can even run Memtest. But as soon as I try to boot into Windows or install Windows, the system will freeze. Had to downclock the CPU to 450MHz.
My K6-III+ (400MHz@1.6V), which I recently got, can run at stock settings. I can even run it with 550MHz@1.7V. But then I did hit a wall. Even 600MHz@2.2V did not work.
I'm assuming something with the voltage regulation isn't right.

The board recently got polymodded by my buddy Hirsch.
Also asked him to update to the latest beta BIOS, because he has a ROM programmer and can easily undo it, if something goes wrong.
There was no further testing between modding and BIOS flash. So we don't know what caused it.
Are there any issues like this known from the latest beta BIOS?

I'll try the previous BIOS version and latest release BIOS.

Reply 21 of 23, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was not having this issue with mine but it was running a k6-2 450. Now it's running a Pentium 233
You should try the last Bios revision, just to confirm even more if you use a Rom Programmer

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 22 of 23, by halls_well

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This may get lost in the K6-2->k6-3 excitement, but I have something possibly helpful to add here - after seeing this thread and this thread I decided to try to give my k6xv3+/66 another shot, and it's working like a champ! Way better than my last attempt.

I tried using the WD HDD util mentioned earlier to set my 120GB WD hard drive to UDMA 66 and wasn't successful but did have a discovery - when testing I set my 80GB WD hard drive to UDMA 66 while it was configured as slave to my 120GB hard drive. It seems to have dragged my 120GB into 66 as well, since DMA seems to be working, according to Sandra and hwinfo.

If you have a drive you'd like to use that can't be set to UDMA 66, it may be possible to hook up a UDMA 66 drive and get the setting applied to both.

In the end I picked up a 16GB Transcend UDMA 66 Compact Flash card and have DMA working, but hopefully this is useful for someone!

Attachments

Reply 23 of 23, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schlang wrote on 2015-06-03, 16:34:

Hi, what is the latest (beta) BIOS for K6XV3+/66 Rev. B+?
Thanks.

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm Check here

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)