VOGONS

First post, by RichardCliffMyrick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I discovered some hardware that would otherwise be considered very nice! This Media Vision Thunderboard and Voodoo TV 200 are special because of their owner history. In addition; I really enjoyed the microtuner on the Voodoo, and I would love to hear those two Thunder chips working together! Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 15 - 2.jpg
    Filename
    15 - 2.jpg
    File size
    90.75 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    This really breaks my heart.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That soundcard in the picture is not a Mediavision Thunderboard. Is it even Mediavision? It looks like a generic OPTi 929 card to me.

The voodoo TV 200 tuner is beyond repair unless you have access to alien nano-technology.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 14, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

That's not a Thunder Board, looks more like an Analog Devices based 16 bit soundcard (that phone pic looks really bad as well 😵 ). Here is what a Media Vision Thunder Board looks like.

Unfortunately both the soundcard and Voodoo TV 200 are goners, unless someone knows an electronics repair wiz with real magical abilities and spells.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 14, by RichardCliffMyrick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The two chips on the sound card are marked "Thunder". One has a darker color than the other. In addition; it seems to have the ability to emulate MPU-401 and Yamaha OPL3. How is it not a Thunderboard?

Reply 4 of 14, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Troll detected?

That's beyond any economic repair and at least 1 card identified incorrectly.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 5 of 14, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RichardCliffMyrick wrote:

The two chips on the sound card are marked "Thunder". One has a darker color than the other. In addition; it seems to have the ability to emulate MPU-401 and Yamaha OPL3. How is it not a Thunderboard?

For one thing, the Thunderboard is an 8-bit ISA card as opposed to the 16-bit ISA card in the picture. I'm also fairly sure that no Thunderboard in existence used an Analog Devices chip, let alone an OPL3 chip (I *think* I can just make out an OPL3 chip in that blurry-as-heck picture). Instead, it used an OPL2 (a.k.a. YM3812) chip.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 7 of 14, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Vyvyan! You bastard!"

It's funny, I used to have the same design of sheet as in that photo, I also had a sound board which looks similar and am fairly confident I may have sawn a Voodoo in half at some stage, albeit one which was beyond any level of repair*, though the guy watching the sawing at the time did not know this... His reaction was very amusing.

* Before anyone gets upset or mad, it wasn't mine, it was a Voodoo 4 which came from a machine someone brought me to repair about 11 or 12 years ago... We've all been there, you open the case and; "What the hell do they do with this thing?" there are pieces of sandwich and raspberry jam in the bottom of the case, a dead spider lives in the plastic shroud over the modem (my workstation actually has a living false widow in it, so I can't talk. Could be worse, my Korg O1R came with a live black widow which luckily died in the cold climate. I like spiders but don't really want that one around.) and the graphics card is fused to the AGP slot whilst its GPU has a huge blow-hole in it.

As for the sound card, I got it from a bin. I sold it years ago.

The sheet I set fire to in 2008 because it was full of holes.

I will admit, however, to throwing a lot of working 3DFX cards in the trash, mostly Voodoo 3 and Voodoo 5 so far as I remember. I regret that now, I could have made a fortune if I kept them, but at the time the thought prevailed that they were garbage, didn't work with anything and it seemed certain that nobody would ever want them, it was similar to throwing out a Maxtor hard drive, nobody would ever care about that, right? Most of them came from systems brought to me with "Make this game work." or "Make this software run.", invariably the card was not compatible so I used to replace it with a Radeon 7500. So there you go, that's my confession, anyone in my area that can't find one... Yeah, probably my fault. Oops. Still, I made money every time I did that, was nice, it got me most of the upgrades for the Duron I used to run.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8 of 14, by align_left

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I recently bought this card, which Richard seems to had.

Can anyone tell me anything about this card?
It does have an OPL3 and seems to have the Thunder Chipset, but it can't be a clone of the thunder board because of the OPL2?!

Thanks!

Attachments

Reply 9 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
align_left wrote:

Can anyone tell me anything about this card?

It's an ISA sound card with OPL3, the Thunder Board chipset and an ad1848jp chip ("Parallel-Port 16-Bit SoundPort Stereo Codec").
The ad1848jp supports Windows Sound System and other tasks, such as mixing, filtering, etc.

align_left wrote:

It does have an OPL3 and seems to have the Thunder Chipset,

Yes, we said so. In contrast, my Protac TB clone card only has an OPL2.

align_left wrote:

but it can't be a clone of the thunder board because of the OPL2?!

Why ist that so ? 😀

align_left wrote:

Thanks!

You're welcome. ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The driver package of the Thunder Board comes with a test program.
It will only work with a Thunderboard or compatible card (Protac, PAS16, ..)
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 514&menustate=0

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 14, by align_left

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had some time to test the card a little.

First of all, the card seems to work.
I tried the tool above, it seems that the thunder board can be found. But something is wrong with the settings.

WSS works, SB Pro 2.0 with Warcraft 2, have to try more.

Attachments