make old PC useful on modern internet/windows 7

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 65, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

It is pretty easy to determine if Flash is using the GPU. HTML5 is mysterious.

If you have an nVidia graphics card, you can use GPU-Z to check the Video Engine load. If it shows 0% during playback, then your CPU is doing all of the work.

You can also right click on the video window, select Stats for Nerds, and look at the mime type.
On IE and Firefox you'll probably see:
Mime Type: video/mp4; codecs="avc1.42001E, mp4a.40.2
which means you're receiving H.264 video, which is fully hardware accelerated on most machines. Even the ancient GMA X4500HD IGP handles 1080p completely in hardware in IE11.

On Chrome, you'll probably see this:
Mime Type: video/webm; codecs='vp9'
Currently, no video card or IGP can decode VP9 in hardware, so it's all on the CPU. Any dual core CPU should be able to handle VP9 at 1080p/30 fps, and any Core 2 quad/Phenom X4 should be able to handle 1080/60. The Core i series CPUs in particular are extremely fast at video decoding, and I'm still not completely sure why. Is it AVX? The fast caches and IMC? Or is something else in the CPU designed specifically for video decoding? It's gotten to the point where software decode on a fast desktop CPU is probably just as efficient as hardware, without the headache! Even UHD/4K resolution VP9 doesn't stress an i7 at all.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 61 of 65, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

DON'T USE UBUNTU OR MINT. Ubuntu steals your information and infringes on your rights in other ways, use a real distro like Linux Fedora 21. I've been using Fedora for over a year now and I haven't touched my Windows 7 partition in all that time. With the MATE desktop environment Fedora is my number one choice. Not only is it stable, it's cutting edge and the package manager is very modern and intuitive.

Mint is based on the Ubuntu Kernel and in general is not all that great for that reason. Their desktop environment Cinnamon is kinda power hungry also.

Source?

Reply 62 of 65, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like watching Linux users fight. Changing distros isn't much more than changing your default wallpaper - it can be beaten into mostly the same thing. It's not like you're actually changing operating systems. FreeBSD to OpenBSD is an actual difference, and Linux to say, Haiku or TempleOS would be very different.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 63 of 65, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just be quiet, if your quiet the linux preachers will think you've left and will go away. 😜

It's just like dealing with mormons

Reply 64 of 65, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

DON'T USE UBUNTU OR MINT. Ubuntu steals your information and infringes on your rights in other ways, use a real distro like Linux Fedora 21. I've been using Fedora for over a year now and I haven't touched my Windows 7 partition in all that time. With the MATE desktop environment Fedora is my number one choice. Not only is it stable, it's cutting edge and the package manager is very modern and intuitive.

Mint is based on the Ubuntu Kernel and in general is not all that great for that reason. Their desktop environment Cinnamon is kinda power hungry also.

Source?

Source? It's right in the agreement when you install it. Ever hear of Richard Stallman? Founder of GNU? He's only talked about it repeatedly since forever. 🤣 The other things are my personal experience so I don't need sources.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 65 of 65, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Source? It's right in the agreement when you install it. Ever hear of Richard Stallman? Founder of GNU? He's only talked about it repeatedly since forever. 🤣 The other things are my personal experience so I don't need sources.

OK. For the sake of this thread, I'm not going to continue this discussion any further.