Old Hard Drives

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 74, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:

Thank. How to know which kind of CF card I should buy without the removable trick? They are not that easy to find in shops lately.

Indeed.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 41 of 74, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:

I put them in these HDD clamshells. They are anti-static and keep the dust away. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221951973114

That's a good idea as well. I think I have a cache of those things somewhere.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 42 of 74, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
2fort5r wrote:
tayyare wrote:
GeorgeMan wrote:

I have a lot of old IDE disks around, so probably I'm ok for a decade or so considering the rate of HDDs going bad is low in my case, according to my experience.

What's a good storage solution if you have a lot of old hard drives? Stacked in shelves? I toppled about a dozen onto the floor a while ago. It got me thinking about alternatives.

I put them in anti-static bags, and then on the shelve. But the best is test the drives and wipe them so there all zeros on the disks.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 43 of 74, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You have to be careful lifting cardboard boxes full of hard drives. Potential for disaster if the bottom opens up due to old tape/glue. I'd use plastic tubs for this.

Reply 44 of 74, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
2fort5r wrote:

You have to be careful lifting cardboard boxes full of hard drives. Potential for disaster if the bottom opens up due to old tape/glue. I'd use plastic tubs for this.

I've made it a habit to always lift cardboard boxes by the bottom as exactly this has almost happened a couple times.
This was one of the reasons I started using those kiwiboxes almost exclusively and the main reason I'm not using the kiwiboxes exclusively, is because they stopped appearing in all supermarkets I used to farm 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 45 of 74, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks all of you for the well intended suggestions, but they just won't work for me personally.
I use boxes that just fit the storage cabinet I use for drives. Plastic tubs don't fit so well and would result in a loss of storage capacity.
Stacking on shelves doesn't work well when you have something close to 100 drives to store. Also it makes finding a particular drive or model more difficult.
And I've been around long enough to beware of the bottoms of boxes opening up on me. Been there, done that.
Honestly - Thanks. - I'm sure your suggestions will help other people with other situations.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 46 of 74, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
Thanks all of you for the well intended suggestions, but they just won't work for me personally. I use boxes that just fit the s […]
Show full quote

Thanks all of you for the well intended suggestions, but they just won't work for me personally.
I use boxes that just fit the storage cabinet I use for drives. Plastic tubs don't fit so well and would result in a loss of storage capacity.
Stacking on shelves doesn't work well when you have something close to 100 drives to store. Also it makes finding a particular drive or model more difficult.
And I've been around long enough to beware of the bottoms of boxes opening up on me. Been there, done that.
Honestly - Thanks. - I'm sure your suggestions will help other people with other situations.

And the purpose of this message is?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 47 of 74, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
Thanks all of you for the well intended suggestions, but they just won't work for me personally. I use boxes that just fit the s […]
Show full quote

English comprehension issues?
The purpose of that is blatantly obvious. Thanking multiple people in one post.
Not sure the purpose of your response however.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 48 of 74, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Seagate drives work very well because you can use SeaTools and turn a modern 2 TB drive into whatever capacity drive you want. 32 GB, 60 GB, 80, 120, whatever.

It's pretty impressive that the latest releases of SeaTools still recognize the ST351A/X.

Reply 49 of 74, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2fort5r wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

Seagate drives work very well because you can use SeaTools and turn a modern 2 TB drive into whatever capacity drive you want. 32 GB, 60 GB, 80, 120, whatever.

It's pretty impressive that the latest releases of SeaTools still recognize the ST351A/X.

I don't have anything that old so I didn't know that.
I like SeaTools because it has never cared what brand the drive is.

Reply 50 of 74, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
English comprehension issues? The purpose of that is blatantly obvious. Thanking multiple people in one post. Not sure the purpo […]
Show full quote
tayyare wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
Show full quote

Your message that I responded, definitely sounds like (to me) as not thanking but insulting. Maybe I have "comprehension issues", I don't know, English is not my native language.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 51 of 74, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
English comprehension issues? The purpose of that is blatantly obvious. Thanking multiple people in one post. Not sure the purpo […]
Show full quote
tayyare wrote:

Your message that I responded, definitely sounds like (to me) as not thanking but insulting. Maybe I have "comprehension issues", I don't know, English is not my native language.

It is completely beyond me how anyone of sound mind could possibly construe explaining why a proposed solution won't work for them and then thanking the proposer for the suggestion as an insult.
People reject proposed solutions ALL THE TIME on sites like this. What you don't see is people making a point of saying thanks for the effort.

Reply 52 of 74, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

It is completely beyond me how anyone of sound mind could possibly construe explaining why a proposed solution won't work for them and then thanking the proposer for the suggestion as an insult.
People reject proposed solutions ALL THE TIME on sites like this. What you don't see is people making a point of saying thanks for the effort.

Maybe it is related to not only what you said, but also how you are wording it, or maybe I don't have a "sound mind" and have "issues with comprehension". I don't know, both are possible.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 53 of 74, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
Show full quote

Anyone other than tayyare interpret that as an insult?

Reply 54 of 74, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Out of context it's possible the tone of voice could be perceived as dismissive and somewhat sarcastic, especially the last line. But tone of voice is notoriously difficult to read through the Internet, and things taken out of context can be read multiple ways. Still... "won't work for me personally, I've been around long enough, honestly thanks, I'm sure" - perhaps not all the qualifiers were necessary and their presence lent to this possible interpretation of words.

Hey, you asked. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 55 of 74, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

Out of context it's possible the tone of voice could be perceived as dismissive and somewhat sarcastic, especially the last line. But tone of voice is notoriously difficult to read through the Internet, and things taken out of context can be read multiple ways. Still... "won't work for me personally, I've been around long enough, honestly thanks, I'm sure" - perhaps not all the qualifiers were necessary and their presence lent to this possible interpretation of words.

Hey, you asked. 😀

It can't be out of context when it's in it's original position in the thread.
That violates the definition of out of context.
I used the qualifiers specifically to soften the statements. Make them more polite.
And you didn't actually answer the question.
Frankly I feel insulted by tayyare because he questioned my integrity for no valid reason.

Reply 56 of 74, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

[...]

Just so you know, this is what your post sounds like to a native English speaker:

Thank you for your simplistic suggestions, but you did not take into account my personal needs and you should have. Thank you for wasting my time, your suggestions will probably not help anybody else either.

I have exaggerated for effect, but hopefully you can see why some people took offence, because it sounds rude and ungrateful. You may ask how someone can get the opposite meaning from what you say, however unfortunately a large part of English is like this. I will not make excuses for my native language, I realise just how annoying and unpredictable it can be.

To try to provide you with some sort of explanation, when the word "honestly" is used on its own (like you have done so by following it with a hypen) this often expresses frustration, and has a similar meaning to "how could anyone be this stupid". This then makes the following sentence sound sarcastic, causing the meaning to become the opposite to what the words actually say.

When you thank someone but call their suggestions "well intended" it sounds condescending, like you are talking to a child, or suggesting that the person you are talking to is less intelligent than you. And I can't explain why saying something "just won't work" reads as impolite, which just goes to show how convoluted the language really is.

To be extra clear, I am not saying you have done anything wrong, I am only writing this to help explain why some people took what you said the wrong way. Now that we know you did not intend to be impolite, I am sure nobody here has a problem with what you said.

Isn't English wonderful? (yes, that is a sarcastic comment, I mean the opposite)

Reply 57 of 74, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hard drives are indeed very heavy once you stack them up. I would contact computer shops and get the storage boxes that the manufacturers use.

A bit OT, but I don't collect retro drives. I got maybe 3, the rest are modern drives that I capacity limit with SeaTools (need a 12 GB drive: Well here is one) and SATA to IDE adapters. CF are great for DOS but I am now transitioning to SD cards. But got to use them a bit more before I am happy to recommend them, but so far I'm very happy with SD cards.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 58 of 74, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malvineous wrote:
Just so you know, this is what your post sounds like to a native English speaker: […]
Show full quote
PCBONEZ wrote:

[...]

Just so you know, this is what your post sounds like to a native English speaker:

Thank you for your simplistic suggestions, but you did not take into account my personal needs and you should have. Thank you for wasting my time, your suggestions will probably not help anybody else either.

I have exaggerated for effect, but hopefully you can see why some people took offence, because it sounds rude and ungrateful. You may ask how someone can get the opposite meaning from what you say, however unfortunately a large part of English is like this. I will not make excuses for my native language, I realise just how annoying and unpredictable it can be.

To try to provide you with some sort of explanation, when the word "honestly" is used on its own (like you have done so by following it with a hypen) this often expresses frustration, and has a similar meaning to "how could anyone be this stupid". This then makes the following sentence sound sarcastic, causing the meaning to become the opposite to what the words actually say.

When you thank someone but call their suggestions "well intended" it sounds condescending, like you are talking to a child, or suggesting that the person you are talking to is less intelligent than you. And I can't explain why saying something "just won't work" reads as impolite, which just goes to show how convoluted the language really is.

To be extra clear, I am not saying you have done anything wrong, I am only writing this to help explain why some people took what you said the wrong way. Now that we know you did not intend to be impolite, I am sure nobody here has a problem with what you said.

Isn't English wonderful? (yes, that is a sarcastic comment, I mean the opposite)

Guess what. I am a native English speaker.
I deliberately went out of my way to be polite and NOT sound sarcastic primarily because the main gripe I get is I sound too sarcastic or gruff.
Probably due to my military background.
I have no problem AT ALL with this in person. It's only when I write. I dunno why.
If you people are going to go out of your way to convolute the literal meanings into sarcasm anyway then to hell with it. I won't even try.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2015-12-18, 22:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 59 of 74, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good god people.
If your skin is that thin I'm surprised your entrails aren't running all over the floor.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2015-12-18, 05:38. Edited 1 time in total.