VOGONS

Reply 21 of 38, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't speak for 8xx chipset boards, but for 440BX, this is the best you can get: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131550981860

Stermy57 wrote:

I want to buy a similar CPU from my country
I came from Italy and this seller lives far away

This seller makes the adapters and modifies the cpus himself, he's the only one who has them. Shipping is free though, and parcel tracking from Korea is really good.

Reply 22 of 38, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

Can't speak for 8xx chipset boards, but for 440BX, this is the best you can get: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131550981860

Stermy57 wrote:

This seller makes the adapters and modifies the cpus himself, he's the only one who has them. Shipping is free though, and parcel tracking from Korea is really good.

I think I spot a bad cap which is strange as they look like Sanyo caps. I never saw a bulged Sanyo cap before.

I think the board would work fine even with the single bloated cap if they indeed are are Sanyo caps, even the bloated one is probably better then a non bloated 16 year old "problem brand" cap.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 23 of 38, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Stermy57 wrote:

I think I spot a bad cap which is strange as they look like Sanyo caps. I never saw a bulged Sanyo cap before.

It's an Abit board with the usual Jackcons or something, right from the capacitor plague era. Pretty sure they're all about to burst.

Reply 24 of 38, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

It's an Abit board with the usual Jackcons or something, right from the capacitor plague era. Pretty sure they're all about to burst.

That explains it, they must use a similar color scheme to Sanyos.

Then the one buying that board would need to be able to solder or know someone who does.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 25 of 38, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is it clearly the best? the cubx-e that I got seems like a solid board, probably one of the latest BX boards made, it feels very modern with jumper free OC, no need for slotket adapters, also have a ata100 controller and 4 ram slots...

only problem is, the one I have is not 100% stable anymore (crashes in 3d applications, seems to run CPU stability tests fine), but when new, it looks like it would have been one of the best possible BX boards,

I would hope it's just "bad caps", but I can't see anything visually wrong which is a shame, would be nice to put a 1.4S in it at some point...

Reply 26 of 38, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stermy57 wrote:
tayyare wrote:
Stermy57 wrote:

Woow great point 😀
I didn't know this adapter I have to buy one of them
But I think is hard to find on my country 🙁

I don't think so:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281238323137?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Shipping price is not much, IMHO...🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 27 of 38, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
jwt27 wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

That explains it, they must use a similar color scheme to Sanyos.

Then the one buying that board would need to be able to solder or know someone who does.

I think there's actually multiple caps that could be bulged in that picture. The ones that aren't are probably internally failed as well and will push out shortly. This board uses a whole bunch of 8mm 1000uF-1500uF Jackcon caps.
The BE6-II and it's twin the BX133 are probably my favorite 440BX boards I've ever used. But they are "mechanic specials" - they *always* need caps replaced. Nobody should think about buying these, or really any ABit board of that time period unless they are prepared to replace all the caps as soon as it arrives, or somebody else has already done so. Their caps were the worst ever IMO. Awesome boards, but they can't be used as-is if you want them to last.

Reply 28 of 38, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At first these Abit i440BX boards were ahead of the competition as far as tweaking goes. But as more and more i440BX models were developed by different manfucturers, which eventually all reached the maximum of the chipset, I am not that interested in getting any Abit now. They don't show anything special in my i440BX comparison excel sheet, What is so good about them?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 29 of 38, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

At first these Abit i440BX boards were ahead of the competition as far as tweaking goes. But as more and more i440BX models were developed by different manfucturers, which eventually all reached the maximum of the chipset, I am not that interested in getting any Abit now. They don't show anything special in my i440BX comparison excel sheet, What is so good about them?

The BE6-II has a clock generator that goes up to 200MHz, in steps of 1MHz.

Reply 30 of 38, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an Epox EP-3DVA. Is it compatible with the tualatin + adapter from korea?
Also I think the Abit VH6T is a great board. I also use the Asus TUSL2-C but then you have the memory limitation to 512MB.

There are also boards that support DDR RAM. But without a speed benefit.

Reply 31 of 38, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

It's probably true that many competing motherboards end up reaching the same result. I just love the fact that ABit boards have so many configurable options, they let you control everything you could ever hope to control. It's probably not necessary, it's just the best realization I've ever seen of complete tweakability, which I enjoy for it's own sake.

Reply 32 of 38, by DavyJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using a BCM RX815ELT for my Tualatin 1.4GHz. I try to keep most of my systems in a Baby AT / mATX or smaller form factor.
The chipset isn't popular, and the board's not easy to find, but I like one of the features a lot.
You can manually set the speed and voltage of the AGP 4X slot, which is great if you want to run AGP 3dfx cards (or other AGP 1X/2X 3.3V cards) in an Intel-based system.

*edit* Apparently there are 3 up on eBay.

Reply 33 of 38, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

The BE6-II has a clock generator that goes up to 200MHz, in steps of 1MHz.

shamino wrote:

It's probably true that many competing motherboards end up reaching the same result. I just love the fact that ABit boards have so many configurable options, they let you control everything you could ever hope to control. It's probably not necessary, it's just the best realization I've ever seen of complete tweakability, which I enjoy for it's own sake.

Yeah I suppose these features count. Depending on what you are looking for. Just checked my excel sheet and it is the just 1 ISA slot together with the 83 MHz minimum FSB that made the BE6-II / BF6 less interesting for me, great board otherwise. So that is why jwt27 was messing with that ISA expansion board a while ago, clever idea actually.
The BE6-II voltage control from 1,3 to 2,3 Volt is a very impressive feature. Fortunately a good slotket can also do that (MSI MS-6905 Master / Upgradeware Slot-T), but for native slot-1 CPUs I have to resort to ugly tape modding.

The Gigabyte 6BXC rev 2.0 with the above mentioned slotkets is currently my preferred way of running a Tualatin CPU. So far I only overclock to 133MHz FSB max when I need to, no urge to go beyond that.

Reply 34 of 38, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

83-200 MHz is only the 1MHz increment range, below that there are two more steps, 75 and 66MHz like on most other boards. And yeah, it's not very interesting if you judge it by its single ISA slot. But the extension board works really well so far, can recommend it 😀
Another interesting feature of the BE6-II is the second VRM, which allows you to control the 3.3V rail (from 3.20 to 3.90V).

Reply 35 of 38, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

83-200 MHz is only the 1MHz increment range, below that there are two more steps, 75 and 66MHz like on most other boards.

Ah, that is good news.

Reply 37 of 38, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just keep an eye out. I was lucky to bag myself a TUSL2-M for a couple of quid from ebay 😁

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 38 of 38, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote:

Does anyone have any idea of what's a reasonable price to pay for an Upgradeware Slot-T adapter thee days?

I would say € 20 is a fair price. 25 when it comes with a CPU + heatsink.