VOGONS

First post, by BrAlZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I need help choosing parts for a Late 90s Gaming PC build. I am starting from scratch and will need to buy everything. Please leave suggestions for all parts. I want to be a high-end machine (for its time). Yes I have built PCs, but not old ones. I am looking for an entire setup. Monitor, keyboard, mouse, game pad, speakers, etc.

-Brandon

Reply 2 of 57, by BrAlZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snayperskaya wrote:

Late 90's would be a K6-2, Pentium II for mid-end and Athlon for high end. It depends mainly on what you'll wanna do and play in it.

What I'm really looking for is a machine that can play any game that can come in its way. I'm gonna be getting into 90s PC games really soon.

Reply 3 of 57, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you say late 90s do you mean 1995+ DOS and Windows games or Windows mainly?
Here would be my picks:
- Coppermine Pentium 3 processor. Speed would depend on the games you want to play.
- Aureal Vortex 2 or a Sound Blaster Live!/Audigy for a Windows gaming PC, and an auxiliary ISA sound card if you want to play games in pure DOS.
- Motherboard: if you need ISA, a 440BX based motherboard for 100MHz FSB or a VIA Apollo 133A based board for 133MHz FSB. If no ISA is required you can also consider the i815 chipset. Btw the 440BX can handle 133MHz fsb, but the AGP bus will be overclocked.
- 256MB RAM, 512MB if you really want to max it out
- Sharp late CRT monitor
- A Voodoo3 if you want Glide support, or a GeForce 4 MX 440 for OpenGL/DX7. Some member seem to have had good experiences with Matrox G400 cards as well. For DX8 a Geforce 4 Ti is a better bet. If you want nice DirectX 7+ card and Glide, you can get a non-Voodoo card and combine it with a Voodoo2 for Glide-only games.
- PS2 keyboard > USB keyboard, USB mice > PS2 mice. As long as you get an optical mouse and a decent keyboard, though, you might not notice the difference. Just avoid serial mice.
- Gameport-based SideWinder Gamepads/Joysticks are generally nice for Windows stuff. Their pure DOS support isn't always good (or existant).
- Speakers: any good modern speakers will do. I personally favour headphones.
- Windows 98SE

Reply 4 of 57, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wouldn't a K6-2 a bad pick generally? It has poor FPU performance so for games the Pentium II should be a lot better. An Athlon would be a viable option against a Pentium 3.

Reply 5 of 57, by BrAlZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:
When you say late 90s do you mean 1995+ DOS and Windows games or Windows mainly? Here would be my picks: - Coppermine Pentium 3 […]
Show full quote

When you say late 90s do you mean 1995+ DOS and Windows games or Windows mainly?
Here would be my picks:
- Coppermine Pentium 3 processor. Speed would depend on the games you want to play.
- Aureal Vortex 2 or a Sound Blaster Live!/Audigy for a Windows gaming PC, and an auxiliary ISA sound card if you want to play games in pure DOS.
- Motherboard: if you need ISA, a 440BX based motherboard for 100MHz FSB or a VIA Apollo 133A based board for 133MHz FSB. If no ISA is required you can also consider the i815 chipset. Btw the 440BX can handle 133MHz fsb, but the AGP bus will be overclocked.
- 256MB RAM, 512MB if you really want to max it out
- Sharp late CRT monitor
- A Voodoo3 if you want Glide support, or a GeForce 4 MX 440 for OpenGL/DX7. Some member seem to have had good experiences with Matrox G400 cards as well. For DX8 a Geforce 4 Ti is a better bet. If you want nice DirectX 7+ card and Glide, you can get a non-Voodoo card and combine it with a Voodoo2 for Glide-only games.
- PS2 keyboard > USB keyboard, USB mice > PS2 mice. As long as you get an optical mouse and a decent keyboard, though, you might not notice the difference. Just avoid serial mice.
- Gameport-based SideWinder Gamepads/Joysticks are generally nice for Windows stuff. Their pure DOS support isn't always good (or existant).
- Speakers: any good modern speakers will do. I personally favour headphones.
- Windows 98SE

Thanks for the detailed reply.
Yes, 1995+. However, a few questions:

For games such as FPS or really graphics intense games, what would you recommend for processor speed?
What would be a good card for DirectX 8+ alongside a Voodoo2 or Voodoo3 like you said?
What would be good for DOS sound? A card like an AWE32?
Since I need ISA for DOS sound, are their any specific boards you would recommend?

Answer those and then I should be on my way!

Reply 6 of 57, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't pick K6-2 for this one. I really love SS7 platform. Yet it's good for games between 1995 and 1997/early 1998.
Now.... Speaking of Matrox. Yes they beat TNT2 and to some degree Voodoo3.
(G400/G400-MAX and G550 does the trick)
It all depends on both hardware and choice of software in these matters.

On you'r build that you want to start doing....
Mobo: Asus/abit 440BX based with two ISA slots.
Pentium III 1000 to 1400 all depending on what the mobo can take.
512mb RAM.
GForce4 ti 4200 or something like that.
Voodoo2 single or dual card (sli, and it is expensive)
SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold.
Get a PSU that delivers 28 to 30 amps on both 5volt and 3.3volt.
Get a case that have thick plates and have space for more HW.

Hope this helps...

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 57, by BrAlZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Don't pick K6-2 for this one. I really love SS7 platform. Yet it's good for games between 1995 and 1997/early 1998. Now.... Spea […]
Show full quote

Don't pick K6-2 for this one. I really love SS7 platform. Yet it's good for games between 1995 and 1997/early 1998.
Now.... Speaking of Matrox. Yes they beat TNT2 and to some degree Voodoo3.
(G400/G400-MAX and G550 does the trick)
It all depends on both hardware and choice of software in these matters.

On you'r build that you want to start doing....
Mobo: Asus/abit 440BX based with two ISA slots.
Pentium III 1000 to 1400 all depending on what the mobo can take.
512mb RAM.
GForce4 ti 4200 or something like that.
Voodoo2 single or dual card (sli, and it is expensive)
SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold.
Get a PSU that delivers 28 to 30 amps on both 5volt and 3.3volt.
Get a case that have thick plates and have space for more HW.

Hope this helps...

This definitely helped. Thank you alexanrs and brostenen! I have quite sometime until I get my paycheck. If anyone still wants to leave their suggestions, feel free to do so.

Reply 8 of 57, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree with the suggestion of a Pentium 3 if you want to play almost any 90s game.
It might be too fast for a few early 90s titles but should handle everything else okay.
Windows 98 would probably be the best OS choice.

Choosing the video card can be tricky. If you want to play Glide games, I would look at a Voodoo 2. Possibly paired with a card that is better for DirectX

Reply 9 of 57, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes...
Geforce4 (the big version, not MX) and two V2 in sli.
They are as fast as V3-3000. The V3-3500 beats the V2-SLI.
The GF4, is only for getting max compared to V3.
Voodoo is best left to games specifically written for it.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 57, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My humble suggestions, based on the details you've provided:

Motherboard - Intel 440BX
Get an ABIT BH6 and have it recapped by Chris over at BadCaps.

CPU - 600mhz P3 Katmai
100mhz FSB, so you can easily underclock it to 400mhz if you want.

RAM - 384mb PC100 (3x 128mb sticks)
Stick with 256mb RAM if you intend to play Longbow 2. No game from the late 90s needs more than 256mb anyway and you won't notice any difference in performance.

Video - 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
That one is really a V3 3500 without the TV tuner. It works fine with 3000 drivers.
(Get a Voodoo 5 5500 if you've recently won the lottery. They're expensive nowadays.)

Sound - AWE64 Value
Get whatever AWE64 card you can find for cheapest. They're all good.

Case - Antec VSK-4000
Normally, I prefer the Antec 300 and recommend it. Sadly, it looks like they've recently been discontinued. If you can find a 300, get one.

Power - Antec BP350
Cut off the fan grill with a dremel tool to improve airflow and extend your PSU's life. Just watch your fingers for sharp edges and spinning blades. Get a wire grill and attach it if you're concerned about safety.

Bling - Rosewill G300LX PCI WiFi Adapter
It works with Win9x, but it's only an 802.11G adapter.

USB 2.0 PCI Adapter - NEC Chipset
Use it with the unofficial Win98SE mass storage drivers package for faster and easier USB compatibility.
If you buy on eBay, make sure you're getting one with an NEC chipset. Some of the sellers out there sometimes have listings for NEC-based cards with a picture of a VIA-based card. Ask your seller just to be 100% sure.

Reply 11 of 57, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well it sounds like you dont need a 100% period correct setup but instead an enjoyable setup all the way through DirectX 8.

One video card solution. Nvidia FX Series. I really like the Quadro FX 3000 (same as GeForce FX 5900 but less expensive and way better built) I just got some from ebay... dirt cheap.
Not being period/hardware correct I would use a Glide wrapper if needed.

Sound. I would buy a Sound Blaster 16, part numbers CT2230 or CT2290 for DOS and not look back. For windows I would use an Aureal Vortex2.

for the rest of the system.... how much do you want to spend???

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 12 of 57, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a little side note: AFAIK no BX motherboard supports Tualatin P3 natively (the 1000 and 1400 MHz processors). You'll need a pin-modded Tualatin and maybe some bios mods... and to get (or underclock) a 100MHz FSB processor if you are worried about an overclocked AGP bus.

Personally, for 100MHz FSB I'd get an 800MHz Coppermine (just beware that there are two versions: 8x100MHz and 6.5*133MHz, get the former) or a modded 1000MHz Tualatin Celeron, for 133MHz you can use a 933MHz Coppermine (and a VIA Apollo Pro 133A for ISA) or the 1400MHz Tualatin (pin mod for 133A, but you should go for the 133T as it requires no mod). If you really wanna go fancy you can even get one of those DDR boards with the Apollo Pro 266T chipset (no ISA though), but that is beyond overkill for the 90s... a DDR equipped Tualatin should be able to stand ground against a 2.4GHz Northwood, and that should cover the early 2000s. I'd just stick with a Coppermine (cheap and plentiful) and get a modded Tualatin if you feel you need more speed. And I'd favour Socket 370 instead of Slot1 boards as well.

Also, the PCI boards I suggested would enable you to use A3D (Vortex2) or EAX (Live!/Audigy) in late 90s games. The AWE/SB16 can't provide that.

Oh, and get PC133 memory regardless of your FSB speed. Nowadays they are the same price, and if you ever feel like OCing a 100MHz FSB system, you'd not have to worry about memory reliability until you hit 133MHz.

Reply 13 of 57, by BrAlZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote:
My humble suggestions, based on the details you've provided: […]
Show full quote

My humble suggestions, based on the details you've provided:

Motherboard - Intel 440BX
Get an ABIT BH6 and have it recapped by Chris over at BadCaps.

CPU - 600mhz P3 Katmai
100mhz FSB, so you can easily underclock it to 400mhz if you want.

RAM - 384mb PC100 (3x 128mb sticks)
Stick with 256mb RAM if you intend to play Longbow 2. No game from the late 90s needs more than 256mb anyway and you won't notice any difference in performance.

Video - 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
That one is really a V3 3500 without the TV tuner. It works fine with 3000 drivers.
(Get a Voodoo 5 5500 if you've recently won the lottery. They're expensive nowadays.)

Sound - AWE64 Value
Get whatever AWE64 card you can find for cheapest. They're all good.

Case - Antec VSK-4000
Normally, I prefer the Antec 300 and recommend it. Sadly, it looks like they've recently been discontinued. If you can find a 300, get one.

Power - Antec BP350
Cut off the fan grill with a dremel tool to improve airflow and extend your PSU's life. Just watch your fingers for sharp edges and spinning blades. Get a wire grill and attach it if you're concerned about safety.

Bling - Rosewill G300LX PCI WiFi Adapter
It works with Win9x, but it's only an 802.11G adapter.

Use it with the unofficial Win98SE mass storage drivers package for faster and easier USB compatibility.
If you buy on eBay, make sure you're getting one with an NEC chipset. Some of the sellers out there sometimes have listings for NEC-based cards with a picture of a VIA-based card. Ask your seller just to be 100% sure.

Your suggestions are very appreciated. Now I have to think about what I wanna do 🤣.

Reply 14 of 57, by BrAlZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
squareguy wrote:
Well it sounds like you dont need a 100% period correct setup but instead an enjoyable setup all the way through DirectX 8. […]
Show full quote

Well it sounds like you dont need a 100% period correct setup but instead an enjoyable setup all the way through DirectX 8.

One video card solution. Nvidia FX Series. I really like the Quadro FX 3000 (same as GeForce FX 5900 but less expensive and way better built) I just got some from ebay... dirt cheap.
Not being period/hardware correct I would use a Glide wrapper if needed.

Sound. I would buy a Sound Blaster 16, part numbers CT2230 or CT2290 for DOS and not look back. For windows I would use an Aureal Vortex2.

for the rest of the system.... how much do you want to spend???

Overall... I'd say maximum of $400.

Reply 15 of 57, by BrAlZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:
Just a little side note: AFAIK no BX motherboard supports Tualatin P3 natively (the 1000 and 1400 MHz processors). You'll need a […]
Show full quote

Just a little side note: AFAIK no BX motherboard supports Tualatin P3 natively (the 1000 and 1400 MHz processors). You'll need a pin-modded Tualatin and maybe some bios mods... and to get (or underclock) a 100MHz FSB processor if you are worried about an overclocked AGP bus.

Personally, for 100MHz FSB I'd get an 800MHz Coppermine (just beware that there are two versions: 8x100MHz and 6.5*133MHz, get the former) or a modded 1000MHz Tualatin Celeron, for 133MHz you can use a 933MHz Coppermine (and a VIA Apollo Pro 133A for ISA) or the 1400MHz Tualatin (pin mod for 133A, but you should go for the 133T as it requires no mod). If you really wanna go fancy you can even get one of those DDR boards with the Apollo Pro 266T chipset (no ISA though), but that is beyond overkill for the 90s... a DDR equipped Tualatin should be able to stand ground against a 2.4GHz Northwood, and that should cover the early 2000s. I'd just stick with a Coppermine (cheap and plentiful) and get a modded Tualatin if you feel you need more speed. And I'd favour Socket 370 instead of Slot1 boards as well.

Also, the PCI boards I suggested would enable you to use A3D (Vortex2) or EAX (Live!/Audigy) in late 90s games. The AWE/SB16 can't provide that.

Oh, and get PC133 memory regardless of your FSB speed. Nowadays they are the same price, and if you ever feel like OCing a 100MHz FSB system, you'd not have to worry about memory reliability until you hit 133MHz.

Thanks for the info. I definitely want hardware that can take full advantage of the game it's running.

Reply 17 of 57, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

I didn't realize that the VIA chipset was undesirable. I just bought a VIA model but haven't installed it yet. (Very cheap, so no big deal.) What is the problem with it?

Reply 18 of 57, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

(the 1000 and 1400 MHz processors)

You can get 1000Mhz coppermine CPUs can't you?

Yeah, but AFAIK they are harder to find and have no advantage over the Tualatin Celeron

Reply 19 of 57, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The machine in my sig is built for the almost same purpose you have (playing games that I don't have gog versions, and a bit problematic in my XP box) plus some DOS and Windows OS fun.

People adores BX boards (like Asus P2B-F or P3B-F, but using a slot to S370 adapter adds to complexity needlessly, IMHO. Same for modded Tualatins and BIOSes that you will need to run a Tualatin on a board that does not support tuallies natively. These boards, although being rock solid and reliable, are somehow behind the days with other features they have (only ATA 33 support, no AGP 4x, etc.)

So I also suggest you to look for VIA chipset S370 boards (I personally choose Gigabyte) If you want to go with coppermine, you might choose something like GA-6VEX7+. If you want a Tualatin, you can look for a GA-6VTXE. I used both, and have nothing to nitpick about them. These model numbers are for reference only, Gigabyte has more than just a couple of similar models in both categories.

For CPU, since I'm a "maxing out fan" I suggest either a Coppemine 1000, or a Tualatin 1400.

For a display card, you can look for higher end GeForce2 cards (like Ti or Ultra) as well as Geforce4's (real, non-MX ones like Ti 4400, 4600, 4800) for even more overkill. You can always support them with a single or double Voodoo2 cards.

For memory, 256MB PC133 RAM will be a more than ok choice, but if you want to go for 512 MB, why not? I just don't suggest anything more than that, since Windows 98/95 might start some hick-ups with more than 512 MB RAM.

For sound, I strongly suggest SB AWE64 as an easy to use, all around sound card with minimum hassle for an acceptably high gain.

If you will need a joystick, I suggest MS Sidewinder Precision Pro, but this is not because I'm an expert on the subject, but just that I happily using one for longer than a decade.

Other than that, it's just generic components: IDE or SATA drives, CD/DVD Drives, floppies, NICs, IDE/CF adapter brackets, USB card readers, etc. My preference for HDDs are good condition real IDE drives (beware, 128GB max for W98 and W95 OSR2). You can of course also use SATA drives with IDE adapters and even SCSI drives.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000