VOGONS

Reply 40 of 57, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BrAlZy wrote:
..... 600mhz Slot 1 Pentium III 512mb PC-100 RAM Matrox G400+ AGP 2x Voodoo2 PCI in SLI AWE64 (CT4520) Netgear FA310TX 3.5" 1.4 […]
Show full quote

600mhz Slot 1 Pentium III
512mb PC-100 RAM
Matrox G400+ AGP
2x Voodoo2 PCI in SLI
AWE64 (CT4520)
Netgear FA310TX
3.5" 1.44mb Floppy Drive
CD-ROM Drive

Peripherals:
InterAct Hammerhead FX

600mhz Slot 1 Pentium III: I don't like slot motherboards much, this is just a personal thing and does not based on any numerical facts, but I would choose a S370 board with a 1000MHz Coppermine or a 1400MHz Tualatin. I always think that, some overkill is almost always good, especially if you really need to deal with DX8+ stuff, as you mentioned before.

512mb PC-100 RAM: Again, for the same reason above, since the mobo I would choose would accept PC133, I would go for that, too. 512 is quite ok, just below the problematic limit for a W98 box and more than enough overkill! 🤣

Matrox G400+ AGP: I certainly wouldn't. As many others said before, my choice here would be a GeForce2 (or maybe GeForce4 MX) or even better, a GeForce4 Ti.

2x Voodoo2 PCI in SLI: No concerns here, exactly what I would do.

AWE64 (CT4520): Any AW64 is an AWE64 at the end, and this is exactly what I would do, too. You might also want to play with SIMMCONN, too.

Netgear FA310TX: When it comes to NICs, anything that works with your OS is more than ok.

3.5" 1.44mb Floppy Drive, CD-ROM Drive: Again, anything that works, is ok.

I also suggest something like this for easy data transfer, they are invaluable especially during your setup period:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Pin-CF-to-IDE-Adap … =item43c1751697

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 41 of 57, by BrAlZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tayyare wrote:

Matrox G400+ AGP: I certainly wouldn't. As many others said before, my choice here would be a GeForce2 (or maybe GeForce4 MX) or even better, a GeForce4 Ti.

Are you sure a Matrox G400+ wouldn't be good? Is it not good enough for games made in 1995-1999?
Maybe I should go with a Voodoo3 3000 AGP as my only card. Or should I do something entirely different for graphics?
And what should I do for a processor? Should I get a different motherboard?

Reply 42 of 57, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think anybody can argue that a G400 is a bad card, because they're actually very good. I know you were addressing Tayyare, but the point I was trying to make earlier is this:

G400 + V2 SLI = ~$110
Voodoo 3 3000/3500 = ~$25

Both choices will give you very similar levels of performance, but one is significantly cheaper and only uses 1 slot, rather than 3.

Even if you're determined to get the V2 SLI setup, a GF4 Ti4200 is still the better primary VGA choice because it's 3x-4x faster than a G400 and costs the same or less. It just doesn't have that Matrox... <wait for it>.... mystique. 🤣

Regarding CPU:
600mhz is plenty for any games up to mid-2001. If you need more power later, upgrades are generally very easy with 440BX boards. The BM6 and BP6 are notable exceptions.

Reply 43 of 57, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BrAlZy wrote:
Are you sure a Matrox G400+ wouldn't be good? Is it not good enough for games made in 1995-1999? Maybe I should go with a Voodoo […]
Show full quote
tayyare wrote:

Are you sure a Matrox G400+ wouldn't be good? Is it not good enough for games made in 1995-1999?
Maybe I should go with a Voodoo3 3000 AGP as my only card. Or should I do something entirely different for graphics?
And what should I do for a processor? Should I get a different motherboard?

No, no, don't get me wrong. G400 is never a bad card. Matrox cards are always one of the best quality VGA cards.

I was just saying, if you are making a shopping list (i.e. you don't have any hardware already, and you will buy them somehow) I suggest going for Geforce2 or Geforce4MX which are also very cheap (especially MX) and will perform better (especially for later titles). I also suggested Geforce4 Ti, which is just a bit more expensive, but maybe the ultimately beautiful overkill for such a system. G400 will probably be ok, and if you already have it on hand, just go for it. But I just don't suggest buying it instead of a GF2 Ti/GF4MX and a reasonably priced GF4 Ti.

Voodoo3 AGP is also good, but I use it for my socket 7 builds, I always believe that PIII class fits a more modern card (yeah, like GF4 🤣).

Processor suggestion was just like the vga suggestion: "If you have it already, use it". But if you are preparing a shopping list, consider paying just a bit more, and having a 1000 coppermine or 1400 Tualatin.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 44 of 57, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The G400 is an okay card. But I would try to get something with better Direct3d support for late 90s games.
If you have AGP, you might as well make use of it. The early Geforce/Radeon cards are not terribly expensive.

Matrox is always behind in acceleration capabilities.

Reply 45 of 57, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Always thought that the Matrox Cards where the better choice in 2d graphic cards, also because they had a much clearer output, making problems causing the images becoming to dark with the pass through card less.

Reply 46 of 57, by BrAlZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tayyare wrote:

G400 will probably be ok, and if you already have it on hand, just go for it.

That's why I was being persistent on the G400. Because I found a computer at a local e-dump with one in it and I tested it to see that it worked. I don't feel like buying a card and not end up using this one. Now I won't feel like everyone is judging me using a G400 🤣.

Reply 48 of 57, by BrAlZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you everyone for your advice! I've settled on parts. Once I get paid, the build will be underway. I will then post specs and pics of my final build to the proper section of VOGONS. Since this is my first build with the help of VOGONS, I am dedicating the build to everyone who left their advice on this thread. All of you have left your advice which I have either taken or put into consideration. All your replies are appreciated and therefore I must say thank you!

Last edited by BrAlZy on 2015-07-08, 16:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 50 of 57, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In terms of gameplay, I'd say they're both pretty equal, but I have an AMD/ATi bias, so I'll recommend the Rage 128 Pro. The Matrox definitely has better quality vga output though.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 51 of 57, by BrAlZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Evert wrote:

In terms of gameplay, I'd say they're both pretty equal, but I have an AMD/ATi bias, so I'll recommend the Rage 128 Pro. The Matrox definitely has better quality vga output though.

Usually I've always had a good experience with ATI/AMD in my machines so I am going to use the ATI Rage 128 Pro in this build.

Reply 52 of 57, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BrAlZy wrote:
Evert wrote:

Usually I've always had a good experience with ATI/AMD in my machines so I am going to use the ATI Rage 128 Pro in this build.

People say the ATi cards from that era had unreliable bad drivers, I like to think of them more as eccentric drivers.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 53 of 57, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep in mind that Matrox had driver issues back then, but their latest drivers are much better. And that the latest Win98 drivers for the G400 are newer than the latest ones for the Rage 128 pro. You have both, and you have the time, just try both out and be the judge of it.

Reply 54 of 57, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used a Rage 128 pro based All-in Wonder card in my main desktop up until 2012 when I built my current desktop. with a 450 Pentium 3 up until 2010 when it died, then a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 with bad caps that died in 2012 prompting the full system upgrade. I played UT99 on it no problem back in the day and even Halo online on minimum settings stuttered along, Power strip and or ATI Tool are awesome because these cards can take a heck of alot of over clocking without any ill effects.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 56 of 57, by BrAlZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Final Parts for Build:

Motherboard - Intel Seattle SE440BX-2
CPU - 600mhz Pentium III 100mhz FSB Slot 1
Graphics - ATI Rage 128 Pro, and 2x Voodoo 2 running in SLI
Sound - Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4500
Network - Netgear FA310TX PCI Card
Drives - 20gb Western Digital IDE Hard Drive, Apple 6x CD/DVD Drive, and a Mitsumi 3.5" 1.44mb Floppy Drive
Keyboard - Dell AT101W
Mouse - Microsoft IntelliMouse
Monitor - Gateway EV500A CRT 15"
Speakers - SW-220 Multimedia Speakers
Case- Lite-On TH600

I think it's pretty decent. I just ordered everything maybe an hour ago.

(I know the ATI Rage 128 Pro is no where near as powerful as a GeForce 2 or 4 but I got it for free so it saved me some money and I think it'll work just fine for the games I'm going to be playing.)

Reply 57 of 57, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good choice! In my opinion the Voodoo3 is by far the best choice for such a machine.
Great image quality, Glide, D3D and OpenGL and you can put a V1 for Dosglide to in it,
or go for an M3D if you like. By the way the V3 has got Win3x Drivers!

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines