VOGONS

WinXP Ultimate Legacy Video Cards

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by blank001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know we like to be nostalgic about older cards, but I haven't seen any real evidence outside of the talked-to-death splinter cell games of real graphical incompatibility in the XP era. There are plenty of "modern" graphics cards that work perfectly fine in WXP 32bit.

For example, I just started playing morrowind (I could never run it when I had a p4/r200) on my work computer and it runs like butter flawlessly:

19393085160_99eb34d775_c.jpg
with the radeon 7970GE/280x, and 2600k, catalyst 14.4, wxp32

Last edited by blank001 on 2015-07-10, 16:24. Edited 1 time in total.

_: K6-III+ 450apz@550, P5A-B, 128Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300, AWE64 Gold 32mb, SC-55v2.0
_: Pentium III 1400 S, TUSL2-C, 512Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300

Reply 21 of 33, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick question. Those with newer cards on XP. Do these cards support Dynamic Super Resolution / Virtual Super Resolution under XP? Or is this a Windows 7 / 8 only technology?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 22 of 33, by blank001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't tell you for DSR, but for VSR no. I have the "tick" in 15.7 on W8.1 but can't seem to locate it on WXP 14.4. If AMD get around to a v15 release for WXP maybe.

It's a pity nvidia/amd don't do open source drivers. That would really speed the process which would let the users easily update older WXP drivers with more modern features.

That said, I don't mind 1600x1200 jaggies much.

_: K6-III+ 450apz@550, P5A-B, 128Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300, AWE64 Gold 32mb, SC-55v2.0
_: Pentium III 1400 S, TUSL2-C, 512Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300

Reply 23 of 33, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With older games you should use SSAA or MSAA+TAA/AAA. The quality will be better. VSR/DSR are brute force methods to AA modern games that can't have those forced upon them.

Reply 24 of 33, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't expect VSR on XP, their XP driver lack a lot of these features, like eyefinity, they even had OpenCL and removed it at some point (I still have it working with 11.x driver)

Reply 25 of 33, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

With older games you should use SSAA or MSAA+TAA/AAA. The quality will be better. VSR/DSR are brute force methods to AA modern games that can't have those forced upon them.

I completely agree with this. Most XP-era games were designed to run at 1280x1024 and DSR/VSR are not really optimised or designed for those resolutions. If you have an over-powered DX10 card, you could pretty much run all your games at that resolution with SSAA (which is the best form of anti-aliasing).

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 26 of 33, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love the image SDR produces, but, as Evert mentions, the HUD looks tiny when rendered at 4k. 4k is also so demanding, that even "older" games don't run fast enough.

I know that AMD has a built in SSAA option in the driver. For Nvidia don't you have to resort to third party tools?

IMO silly, as having top notch AA for older games is a feature that might entice people to upgrade. I'd rather play some older games with SSAA, than the latest greatest games 🤣

Reply 27 of 33, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah with NV you can use NVidia Inspector to force sparse grid supersampling. It works with any GeForce 8 or newer chip. It can be troublesome with some games. You enable it by forcing normal 4X MSAA and 4X SGSSAA in the Transparency AA box. I don't know why they don't support it officially. It could be because there would be an expectation of some guarantee of functionality and so they would have to validate tons of games and probably set up app compatibility for many of them.

The Geforce cards also support ordered grid SSAA modes. These are less troublesome but also less effective (like VSR/DSR). GeForce 256-7 support some levels of OG SSAA officially. GF3-7 have interesting hybrid modes.

Personally I find 2x Quincunx nice at high resolutions, and it's fast on a 6800. It's much more practical than SSAA from a performance perspective, and has similar benefits.

Reply 28 of 33, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nvidia has those options as well, but depending on the way the game renders, even with those activated it doesn't work correctly. Some modern games have HUD scaling options, so DSR becomes more viable for high-end SLI/Crossfire setups.

Reply 29 of 33, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blank001 wrote:

I know we like to be nostalgic about older cards, but I haven't seen any real evidence outside of the talked-to-death splinter cell games of real graphical incompatibility in the XP era. There are plenty of "modern" graphics cards that work perfectly fine in WXP 32bit.

Agreed with some qualifications. I will add on Morrowind specifically - it's much more CPU dependent than graphics card dependent. My FX 5800 Ultra can run it on full maximum settings, as long as it's paired with an appropriate CPU. Various benchmarks over the years have shown that it largely does not care what resolution it is run at, and many of the other settings also have similarly minimal impact on performance aside from draw distance - it just wants a powerful CPU. 😊

As far as other games that have issues, GoG maintains a compatibility alert/list for games broken by newer drivers; there are many that have this tag for nVidia, some for AMD. This isn't explicitly saying that "new GPUs can't work with old games" (because technically speaking there's no reason they can't), but if that new GPU requires a driver that's on the wrong side of such a breakage, it effectively restricts it from playing that old game. Generally speaking I would say (and have observed) that DX9+ titles shouldn't be a problem, but with games older than that (which still fit into "XP-era" depending on how broad of a brush you'd like to use - e.g. does it explicitly have had to be released after October 25, 2001, or does it include games that will run in XP overall?) it may not be quite so clear-cut.

swaaye wrote:

Even with newer games I'd say this, excepting those which will break without some brute force method (and BOOO on developers for doing that). I've admittedly not gotten around to trying VSR with Halo, but I would assume it could be a solution for AA there. Also remember: nVidia generally won't expose SSAA in their drivers without a hack, whereas AMD has opened SSAA modes up on GCN cards in their newer drivers (previous to that they also required a hack).

Evert wrote:

I completely agree with this. Most XP-era games were designed to run at 1280x1024 and DSR/VSR are not really optimised or designed for those resolutions. If you have an over-powered DX10 card, you could pretty much run all your games at that resolution with SSAA (which is the best form of anti-aliasing).

I would disagree with "designed to run at 1280x1024" primarily because "XP-era" is far too broad an many games won't actually support 5:4. Generally speaking 5:4 is only an advantage for Vert- games that support it (as it will actually enlarge the viewport). Overall it's better to determine if the game is Hor+, Vert-, or Pixel Based, and what kind of resolutions it supports relative to what your monitor and system support, and go from there. With Hor+ switching to 5:4 is the worst choice, as it will produce the smallest possible viewport, and with pixel based games it largely shouldn't matter but as 5:4 is not all that common for modern displays, it will likely mean non-native AR on the monitor (and while I can hear someone saying "just pillar box it!" -> if the game is pixel based, set it to the proper AR for the monitor, and ideally the native resolution too). Depending on the game, higher resolutions also may not be the best choice, as it may introduce problems of its own (e.g. HUD renders too small or with issues, FOV is wrong, etc).

swaaye wrote:

Yeah with NV you can use NVidia Inspector to force sparse grid supersampling. It works with any GeForce 8 or newer chip. It can be troublesome with some games. You enable it by forcing normal 4X MSAA and 4X SGSSAA in the Transparency AA box. I don't know why they don't support it officially. It could be because there would be an expectation of some guarantee of functionality and so they would have to validate tons of games and probably set up app compatibility for many of them.

FWIR they don't support it because there is some perception in management/PR that customers would complain/whine that enabling "only 4x AA" results in such awful performance, and it also would compete with (and largely negate) all of their whizbang proprietary AA methods (which are heavily and aggressively marketed as reasons why everyone and their grandmother must be buying the newest GeForce card every 6 months). Further FWIR AMD enabled SSAA on GCN mostly to thumb their noses at nVidia, just like their introduction of VSR more recently. IME the SSAA modes are perfectly workable even on relatively newer titles, for example I run Fallout 3 with 4x SSAA and still average 100 FPS or better, and it looks (imho) significantly sharper than 8x MSAA or any of the nVidia "enhanced" modes.

The Geforce cards also support ordered grid SSAA modes. These are less troublesome but also less effective (like VSR/DSR). GeForce 256-7 support some levels of OG SSAA officially. GF3-7 have interesting hybrid modes.

I like the xS AA "hybrid" modes on GeForce FX/6 - they tend to produce pretty good pictures, and the performance hit isn't horrible in many games. ATi offered similar modes for first-gen CrossFire as "SuperAA" - they're higher levels of AA than xS, and accordingly look somewhat better (they also run much better because there's two GPUs behind it). Shame this kind of middle-ground functionality went away in lieu of acronym-of-the-month feature bloat.

Speaking of weird AA modes on nVidia cards - some of the Quadro cards will support 16x OG MSAA as well. The performance hit is *significant* and the IQ improvements over 8x are debatable, but in very old/low resolution games it may have some utility. AFAIK this can be forced available on some GeForce cards too.

Reply 30 of 33, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Obobskivich, I'd just like to say that I find your post always impressive, I always learn something 😀

So Quadro cards have super sampling support? What series are we talking here? Even AGP cards?

I must say the multitude of AA options always confused me a bit. The reason I like Dynamic Super Resolution so much, is because firstly it looks gorgeous, and secondly it's easy to enable and many games work fine with it. Splinter Cell (not again...) Chaos Theory for example has issues with enabling HDR and AA. So does Far Cry. Dynamic Super Resolution makes this happen. It also works with Dead Space, another game having issues with AA.

I've actually made a little video guide about DSR a while ago:

Must be watched at 1080p on a 1080p display, and even then YouTube compression makes it a bit hard to see. But it's visible. Set browser zoom to 100% as well.

Video: Dynamic Super Resolution Review Guide

Video: AA in Dead Space with Dynamic Super Resolution

Reply 31 of 33, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

Further FWIR AMD enabled SSAA on GCN mostly to thumb their noses at nVidia, just like their introduction of VSR more recently. IME the SSAA modes are perfectly workable even on relatively newer titles, for example I run Fallout 3 with 4x SSAA and still average 100 FPS or better, and it looks (imho) significantly sharper than 8x MSAA or any of the nVidia "enhanced" modes.

AMD SSAA actually came in with the 5000 series. 😀 I think it is still the finest form of AA available.

A few games do officially support SSAA. Thief and Serious Sam 3 come to mind.

Reply 32 of 33, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Obobskivich, I'd just like to say that I find your post always impressive, I always learn something 😀

Thank you for kind words. 😀

So Quadro cards have super sampling support? What series are we talking here? Even AGP cards?

The older AGP cards (in the GF3/7 range as swaaye pointed out) will support super sampling via their "xS" modes, which are hybrid SSAA+MSAA. GeForce 6 and above will support rotated grid. They also tend to add other AA modes without the need of nV Inspector, such as 16x MSAA. Whether or not this would actually be playable in anything is probably the more important question - when I've tried my FX 700 (its based on 5900XT, but clocked lower) in 16x AA it is usually a slideshow. 😊

I must say the multitude of AA options always confused me a bit. The reason I like Dynamic Super Resolution so much, is because firstly it looks gorgeous, and secondly it's easy to enable and many games work fine with it. Splinter Cell (not again...) Chaos Theory for example has issues with enabling HDR and AA. So does Far Cry. Dynamic Super Resolution makes this happen. It also works with Dead Space, another game having issues with AA.

It certainly has a place, but like I said, I'd prefer to see games that don't break AA support. Generally the "multitude of AA options" tend to come from nVidia - Radeon cards prior to HD 2000 series only offered MSAA/SSAA depending on the card, and HD 2000 series and above continue that but also have "Custom Filter" modes (e.g. edge-detection). nVidia on the other hand seems to introduce at least one new AA mode with each successive generation of GeForce card... 🤣

I've actually made a little video guide about DSR a while ago: […]
Show full quote

I've actually made a little video guide about DSR a while ago:

Must be watched at 1080p on a 1080p display, and even then YouTube compression makes it a bit hard to see. But it's visible. Set browser zoom to 100% as well.

Video: Dynamic Super Resolution Review Guide

Video: AA in Dead Space with Dynamic Super Resolution

Nice to see in a video! I know TechReport did an article on DSR a while ago, but it was all based on pictures/screengrabs.

swaaye wrote:

AMD SSAA actually came in with the 5000 series. 😀 I think it is still the finest form of AA available.

A few games do officially support SSAA. Thief and Serious Sam 3 come to mind.

Wow, I was not aware they'd opened it up for TerraScale too. That's awesome! 😲 😀

I agree with the quality and everything else - 4x SSAA is simple enough to setup and use, and produces (imho) absolutely fantastic visuals with none of the conditional "but..."'s attached to other AA modes. Of course, if the game can't have AA run, that's another story (and probably one of the few places where DSR/VSR makes a lot of sense imho).

Reply 33 of 33, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My slightly makeshift XP box runs on a Core2Duo E6400, 3GB DDR2, and an X800 GTO. It's a 128MB card that doesn't take any additional power except what is supplied by the PCIe slot. The fan it came with is a tiny loud piece of shit though, so I yanked it off and put on a much larger CPU fan, and resoldered the input cable to make it compatible. The new fan pushes TONS of air and is quieter than the the one it came with, so I'm happy.

Overall I like the card, it doesn't support SM3.0 but I'm not very concerned. For its age I quite like it, runs most games I play on it at 4x AA / 4x AF at 1280x1024 with solid framerates.