VOGONS

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a friend give me a board recently and I have not had a chance to test it yet. I am finding little information on it through searches. Does anyone have good or bad to say about the Soyo SY-5EmA+ V1.1 Super Socket 7 motherboard? It looks like it may be the ticket for a good AMD K6-2+ system.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 9, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well it works! From what I can tell it has the latest BIOS installed that should support K6-2+ and K6-3+ CPUs.

BIOS date is 5/11/2000

This thread is helpful

Soyo SY-5EMA+ Drivers

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
squareguy wrote:

It looks like it may be the ticket for a good AMD K6-2+ system.

The question of "what is good" is hopelessly subjective, isn't it?

AGP support on SS7 boards is questionable, but if you don't need fancy AGP support, it doesn't matter.

I think someone mentioned that there's a command-line utility that makes slowing down K6-2+ chips very easy, but I cannot recall the details.

Reply 3 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
squareguy wrote:

AGP support on SS7 boards is questionable, but if you don't need fancy AGP support, it doesn't matter.

I've seen this mentioned a few times recently, so I'm curious - what's the problem one can have with AGP on SS7 boards? Are the issues specific to certain boards, certain cards, or board-card compatibility? What would the symptoms be?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V3 AGP is a good match for SS7 boards, as it doesn't use any "AGP features" and therefore avoids any chipset bugs altogether 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 9, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

V3 AGP is a good match for SS7 boards, as it doesn't use any "AGP features" and therefore avoids any chipset bugs altogether 😀

True.
I remember running a early 1999 Riva TNT 2 Pro and a late 2001 AGP card (Kyro 3d Prophet 4000XT) on a Gigabyte SS7 motherboard without issues but it could just have been some luck...

Reply 7 of 9, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
squareguy wrote:

I've seen this mentioned a few times recently, so I'm curious - what's the problem one can have with AGP on SS7 boards? Are the issues specific to certain boards, certain cards, or board-card compatibility? What would the symptoms be?

symptoms CAN be: lockups, cards only working in pci mode, bad performance etc.

Solutions CAN be: latest agp divers, disabling some agp options in bios (or reverting to agp 1x speed), right drivers for the cards, using 3dfx cards as they don't use the extra agp options.

Most trouble i have seen is with some nvidia cards (for example: geforce2ti hard locks while geforce2 GTS runs perfect. some gf2 mx cards work, some don't)

I had a lot of problems with an msi and a chaintech board and almost no problems with a jetway and asus boards (all with ali V chipset). same experience with the via mvp3 chipset where the best option imho is an Aopen.
So find out what the most populair boards are or take a little gamble with another. But i like the ss7 platform a lot and it is a great retro system, especially with a k6+ cpu and voodoo card.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That probably explains why I've had not issues with my SS7 build, as it uses an AGP Voodoo 3000, and the board was an AOpen, which was later replaced with an ASUS.

Thanks for the info! 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 9, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darksheer wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

True.
I remember running a early 1999 Riva TNT 2 Pro and a late 2001 AGP card (Kyro 3d Prophet 4000XT) on a Gigabyte SS7 motherboard without issues but it could just have been some luck...

My last AT rig was based on a Asus P5A-B/MMX233 with Asus AGP-V3000 (Rive 128) and later an Asus AGP-V3800 (Riva TNT2) and I can't recall any noteworthy issues with them.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000