VOGONS

I have a 40GB Hard Drive and well

Topic actions

First post, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this 40GB Seagate harddrive that works amazingly on a IBM 300GL machine but I want to put it into a Custom Built 1997/1998 Pentium 200MMX PC and unfortinally, the BIOS on the Pentium200MMX machine (ASUS TX97) wont detect the hard drive. The 300GL doesn't even have advanced hard drive config settings like the other machine has so I can't copy any of the settings.

Both my 300GL and the Pentium200MMX PC I have can both boot off of CD and I do have the Ultimate Boot CD so I was wondering what I could try to get the 40GB Hard Drive Detected under the 200MHz Pentium MMX.

System Specs on the Pentium 200MMX
Pentium200MMX
32MB RAM
ATI Mach64 VT 2MB
Voodoo2 card
Sound Blaster 16 CT2230
ASUS TX97 Motherboard (AT Style Case)

Last edited by CompuClassics on 2022-05-02, 22:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 29, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To use 30GB+ drive on those motherboards you'll need to jumper it to work on 32GB only. Back up everything on it first, remove all partitions, set the jumper and fdisk/format it to your liking.

There's something like this on the drive's label:

jumper-setting-hard-drive.gif

Reply 2 of 29, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snayperskaya wrote:
To use 30GB+ drive on those motherboards you'll need to jumper it to work on 32GB only. Back up everything on it first, remove a […]
Show full quote

To use 30GB+ drive on those motherboards you'll need to jumper it to work on 32GB only. Back up everything on it first, remove all partitions, set the jumper and fdisk/format it to your liking.

There's something like this on the drive's label:

jumper-setting-hard-drive.gif

Sadly, the Label doesn't meation anything about limiting the harddrive to 32GB like that example label says.
Even when I placed the jumper on that part, I still didn't see the hard drive get detected:(

Reply 4 of 29, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

It is a Seagate drive. Can't you use something like SeaTools to limit the drive? Or at least check if it gets detected as a 32GB one on another PC?

I tried to run SeaTools from the Ultimate Boot CD (Right after deleting the partiton) but I was taken to the C:/ Prompt instead and when I typed in the EXE to execute SeaTools, I get a No DPMI Error:( (This was done on the 300GL as the 300GL is the only machine that can detect the 40GB Hard Drive)

Reply 6 of 29, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

It is probably missing CWSDPMI. Weird, though, as this CD should have everything set up correctly.

Yep, it appears CWSDPMI is missing:(
Wish someone could send me where to get a copy of the SeaGate utility complete with the CWSDPMI Extender.

Reply 7 of 29, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Two more things you could try:

- A 3rd party BIOS from this link (scroll to the TX97 entry to download it), adds support for hard drives up to 128gb and AMD K6-2+/III+ CPUs. Read the PATCH.TXT file for more details:

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

- Add a PCI hard drive controller to your TX97 and connect your Seagate 40gb to it. Just make sure it has Win9x drivers.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 8 of 29, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if the Asus has the 32GB boundary in its BIOS then what about using SeaTools and limiting the drive to 32GB? Phil even has a bootable CD ISO on his site with SeaTools.

Edit: 🤣 anyways download the SeaTools bootable CD ISO from Phil's site. It works.

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/hard-drive-tools.html

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 10 of 29, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
Two more things you could try: […]
Show full quote

Two more things you could try:

- A 3rd party BIOS from this link (scroll to the TX97 entry to download it), adds support for hard drives up to 128gb and AMD K6-2+/III+ CPUs. Read the PATCH.TXT file for more details:

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

- Add a PCI hard drive controller to your TX97 and connect your Seagate 40gb to it. Just make sure it has Win9x drivers.

I'm glad they have just TX97 and not the -E or other varrients
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Asus-TX97-Rev-1- … y-/380919348782 (The one I got)
I can only find a manual for a different version (I believe TX97-E)

Now I need to figure out how I'm gonna flash the BIOS (And hopefully safely without messing anything up)

(I just realised that not everyone who collects motherboards has almost every kind out there*) *I have 4 90s PC's with one of them taken apart to be put in a different case should I get a new case

Reply 11 of 29, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow I think I have the sister of your board. I have the Asus TXP4-X and as best I can tell it's the ATX version of your board.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 12 of 29, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I cannot recall the version of flasher i needed. I believe it is Award Bios and therefore needs the Award Flasher but which version? Asus's website is no help. Look at the flash rom chip and compare to here. I seem to remember that when I flashed mine it was one of the 5.x versions that did the trick.

https://www.wimsbios.com/awardflasher.jsp

Windows 98 SE

Reply 13 of 29, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
squareguy wrote:

I cannot recall the version of flasher i needed. I believe it is Award Bios and therefore needs the Award Flasher but which version? Asus's website is no help. Look at the flash rom chip and compare to here. I seem to remember that when I flashed mine it was one of the 5.x versions that did the trick.

https://www.wimsbios.com/awardflasher.jsp

Thanks for the link:)
I'll be sure to burn this on the CD of Drivers and stuff if its still possiable

Reply 14 of 29, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, as soon as I ran the Award BIOS Flashing program, I got a error message saying Fail Due to EMM386 or QEMM (I did this while using a 2.5GB HardDrive with DOS 6.22 installed on it currently using HIMEM Memory (No EMM386 loaded)

What should I do this time?

Reply 16 of 29, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I only flash from a floppy.

sys a:
copy bios flasher and bios to floppy
boot from floppy

Windows 98 SE

Reply 17 of 29, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
squareguy wrote:
Yeah I only flash from a floppy. […]
Show full quote

Yeah I only flash from a floppy.

sys a:
copy bios flasher and bios to floppy
boot from floppy

Alrighty
Say, what would happen if it fails? (Would it like restore the original BIOS if it fails to update?)
I feel kinda nurvous since this will be the 1st time I flashed anything in a BIOS in 3 years (3 years ago I used a DOS Program to flash a part of a 486's BIOS to remove the BIOS Password from the BIOS with Success)

Reply 18 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have a few options to prepare for the worst:

- Is the BIOS chip socketed?
- If it is, do you have other boards, that don't work, with the same chip?

There is a process called hotflashing:

You boot the machine with a working BIOS. Then, while it's running, rip out the chip, put in another, and flash that one 😀

Saved my backside a few times in the past 😀

You can also use an external BIOS programmer. Or order an identical chip, to the one you currently have, from eBay, and hotflash that one.

Either way, there are always a LOT of options.

Also, build yourself a Boot floppy, that has an Autoexec and auto flashes the current BIOS (save it first).

If the BIOS chip isn't working anymore, many machines will boot blind from A and process Autoexec.

If this sounds like a lot of work, I highly recommend that you give Dynamic Disk Overlay software a try. I've linked you WD EZ Drive, it works with any make and will prepare your HDD. Just configure the BIOS for standard 504MiB drive and you're good to go.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 19 of 29, by CompuClassics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:
You have a few options to prepare for the worst: […]
Show full quote

You have a few options to prepare for the worst:

- Is the BIOS chip socketed?
- If it is, do you have other boards, that don't work, with the same chip?

There is a process called hotflashing:

You boot the machine with a working BIOS. Then, while it's running, rip out the chip, put in another, and flash that one 😀

Saved my backside a few times in the past 😀

You can also use an external BIOS programmer. Or order an identical chip, to the one you currently have, from eBay, and hotflash that one.

Either way, there are always a LOT of options.

Also, build yourself a Boot floppy, that has an Autoexec and auto flashes the current BIOS (save it first).

If the BIOS chip isn't working anymore, many machines will boot blind from A and process Autoexec.

If this sounds like a lot of work, I highly recommend that you give Dynamic Disk Overlay software a try. I've linked you WD EZ Drive, it works with any make and will prepare your HDD. Just configure the BIOS for standard 504MiB drive and you're good to go.

Which Program will I need to save the current BIOS to a different file?