VOGONS

First post, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to add a PCIe (1x or 4x) SATA controller to my daily rig with the requirements below:

- At least one eSATA port
- Two internal SATA III ports either supporting RAID 1, and/or supporting optical drives.
- eSATA and internal ports should be used together
- Purchase price should be less than 30 USD.

Is there anything like that available? I checked ebay for eons but the things I could find are either too expensive, or you need to jumper-select to use internal or external ports (not able to use them together), not SATA III, or no optical disk support, etc.

Any help will be very appreciated.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 1 of 9, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only thing *almost* meeting all your criteria are the ASMedia ASM1061 PCIe cards on Ebay. You're going to have to spend a hell of a lot more money to get an LSI or Intel-powered controller. Contrary to popular belief, the ASM1061 chipset is actually not that bad.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 2 of 9, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Evert wrote:

The only thing *almost* meeting all your criteria are the ASMedia ASM1061 PCIe cards on Ebay. You're going to have to spend a hell of a lot more money to get an LSI or Intel-powered controller. Contrary to popular belief, the ASM1061 chipset is actually not that bad.

I have no objection to any kind of chipset.I'm ok with Asmedia, SIL, Marwell, or any other. But, this card:

- At least one eSATA port --- has two, OK
- Two internal SATA III ports either supporting RAID 1, and/or supporting optical drives. --- No RAID support, but supports optical drives, OK
- eSATA and internal ports should be used together --- you need to jumper select which to use, only support for 2 ports, Not OK
- Purchase price should be less than 30 USD. --- Cheap, OK

This and similar cards you might find in abundance in ebay is the reason I'm asking for help. Whatever I found, fails for at least one item from the proposed spec list above. 😢

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 3 of 9, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does your daily rig not have a SATA controller? If so, you might be able to get an eSATA bracket and use the onboard SATA for that, and use a PCIe controller for RAID only.

Reply 4 of 9, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Does your daily rig not have a SATA controller? If so, you might be able to get an eSATA bracket and use the onboard SATA for that, and use a PCIe controller for RAID only.

I have a P5Q Premium. It has 6 + 4 SATA II ports. first 6 are the main controller (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) and supports both RAID and optical drives. The last 4 are Asus "DriveXpert" ports, controlled by Silicon Image 5723 chip, supports RAID but no optical drives.

Normally, this is more than enough SATA ports for any sane person but something wrong with SIL 5723. Connecting any drive to them, even just enabling them from the BIOS causes boot time BSODs. If the computer manages to boot and windows starts, there is no problem, PC is rock stable, but coming to this stage generally requires BSODs and restarts during Windows boot time a couple or more times.

I updated the controller firmware, tried different versions of drivers from both Asus and Silicon Image, without any resolution. So I'm being forced to disable them.

The problem is, I have six SATA HDDs which I normally use as 3 sets of RAID1 volumes and two SATA optical drives (DVD RW and BD RW). I already have an Asus U3S6 controller (Marvell 9123 I think), which has two SATA II ports but no RAID or optical drive support.

At the moment, two of my HDDs are not in RAID1, and my eSATA port cables are dangling inside the case. I just wanted to change this.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 6 of 9, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tayyare wrote:
I have no objection to any kind of chipset.I'm ok with Asmedia, SIL, Marwell, or any other. But, this card: […]
Show full quote
Evert wrote:

I have no objection to any kind of chipset.I'm ok with Asmedia, SIL, Marwell, or any other. But, this card:

- At least one eSATA port --- has two, OK
- Two internal SATA III ports either supporting RAID 1, and/or supporting optical drives. --- No RAID support, but supports optical drives, OK
- eSATA and internal ports should be used together --- you need to jumper select which to use, only support for 2 ports, Not OK
- Purchase price should be less than 30 USD. --- Cheap, OK

This and similar cards you might find in abundance in ebay is the reason I'm asking for help. Whatever I found, fails for at least one item from the proposed spec list above. 😢

How many PCIe slots do you have? Maybe you could buy two of those cards (it will still be in your $30 budget) and let one be used for external connections and the other for internal?

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 7 of 9, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, all slots are occupied. Serial/Parallel port adapter in PCI (I need two serial ports), firewire 800 card in PCIe (for a WD external HDD), USB3.0 in PCIe (used for all kind of USB 3.0 things).

Two PCIe slot is occupied by Display card, and I cant use also the one PCI slot besides it for not cutting the fan flow. Asus U3S6 sits In the last PCIe slot which I want to use instead for the card I'm describing.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 8 of 9, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depending on how many USB 3.0 ports you need, you might want to look at some USB 3.0/SATA combo card. While I doubt these would be good for using your HDDs, you might want to do some research if they can be used for CDs or eSATA, thus giving you more options.

Take a look at this. An optical drive here (if it supports it), the other on the ASMedia, eSATA on the ASMedia and all HDDs on the Intel ports might be a good solution.

Reply 9 of 9, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think, this will do:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181697079372?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No eSATA ports, but has 4 ports that can be used together so I can connect my front panel eSATA port cable and optical drives to it at the same time. It's not SATA III, but except Asus U3S6, none of my other ports onboard either. Two of the ports are actually converted ATA133 ports, not even SATA II (which is a bit disturbing). Only good thing is, this card is the only card that I come up with which states clearly, it supports optical drives. It's also cheap.

Worth trying I guess...

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader