VOGONS

First post, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I connected my Windows 98 computer to my network. Now i got two problems, first one is that when I install the onboard drivers or a 3Com card who is plug and play under windows 98, it won't work. Go message "cannot read ip configuration" when staring winipcfg. But when I install a simple RTL 8139 nic it will work. I think this has something to do whit the drivers. But cant figure out what.

But the bigger problem is that I can't connect to my Fritzbox NAS (USB harddisk connected to my fritzbox). Only FTP connection is working but not the normal Network share. I got the well known message which asks for the IPC$ Password. Back in the time when using a 2000 or XP share and a Win98 client, the way was the enter the same usermane and password on the Host/Server like on the Win98 machine or just simple enable the Guest Account on the Host/Server. But the first one is not working and the second one, there is no Guest account on the Fritzbox.

So someone an idea?

Reply 1 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had the same issue with my TP- Link modem / router when trying to connect to a USB attached storage. Would only work from XP and up. I couldn't solve it and went back to sharing a drive on my home server instead.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 13, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What kind of 3com card? My 3C905C-TX-M works fine and I have used various 3C905x cards in the past without issue.

Your Fritzbox must not support the older versions of SMB protocol and/or password authentication. I can tell you that a Western Digital MyCloud EX2 works fine with the Public share.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 13, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No idea if this effects you and your particular hardware. I saw in Fritz!box OS notes that SMB was removed in a particular version and I didn't see it added back in a later version.

New with Version FRITZ!OS 6.01

Please note: access to fritz.nas via Windows Network Sharing (SMB/Samba) is not supported in this firmware version

Windows 98 SE

Reply 4 of 13, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This may also help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/239869

Windows 98 SE

Reply 5 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Funny how people make different experiences. I've had nothing but issues with Realtek NICs in my current (top secret) project. The card that works, a D-Link NIC.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 13, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 3com was a 3C905 and has only one connector (RJ45) Mainboard is an Siemens D1215. And the Fritzbox is a new one, have it now for 6 months.

The idea is to make a Win98 machine to run old software and games. Therefore I have this main board (at this moment, till I find a better one for my PIII-1400), and use the fritzbox as storage (have a backup utility on the fritzbox storage for backup). I have so much old software collected in the years.

Reply 8 of 13, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What you need to do for fixing SMB trouble on Windows 9x:

• Install the 128-bit cryptography updates and DUN 1.4, if you haven't.
  • Install the Active Directory client.
  • Set this registry item to an option that allows for NTLMv2.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 9 of 13, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A little kick here...

So I installed IE6, think than the 128 Bit cryptography updates is in there. Installed DUN 1.4 and DSClient. Added the entry in the registry, but what next?

I used to open explorer and type \\serverip\ and than a login window appears. But here still the IPC$ user appears. Also on Net use I can't give a Username, only a Password.

What do I have to do next?

Reply 11 of 13, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roman78 wrote:

But the first one is not working and the second one, there is no Guest account on the Fritzbox.

So someone an idea?

On my Fritzbox I can enable a guest account (actually have, if people feel like using the WIFI in my house instead of wired LAN).

Reply 12 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is Win98 and the NAS a member of the same workgroup?
Can you create a login on the NAS with the same username/password as your Win98 login? and I would give it a password even if its simply 1 or something. I've seen networking do funny things when no password has been set.
Then if you log into windows with that account, if you are lucky it'll pass the login credentials over when you try and access the NAS

Reply 13 of 13, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have to see if i could add a workgroup on the NAS. Haven't tried same username and password on win98 yet. Only on W2K, makes logon easier, but that is certainly one to try. And password is a must on Linux based machines, even a fritzbox, without nothing works. Already run into this problem years ago.