VOGONS

First post, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hey guys,
I got recently a lot of old hardware. I got an old case with the display on the front (dont know how to set it up though). I also got a nice socket 3 mobo with PCI and ISA slots. only thing is, no video from the PCI cards. I tried 2 different PCI video cards (an S3 and a trident), but twas a no-go. the board is a UMC M919. Also tried a old isa video card, nada. I feel like im missing something. Ive installed the ram, cpu, cards, etc. Thanks, -A

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 1 of 10, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could use PC analyser.

Although it doesnt do much for you in terms of actually fixing the machine.
You see, i have this very M919 (Do you have 1 VLB slot?) and this little diagnostic board does not show any code at all!

I assume it is the BIOS in my case.

What about the jumpers ?

Reply 2 of 10, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yep, mine has the vlb slot. i have been working with it and tried multiple cpu's (AM486dx2 80, i486dx266) as well as ram and nada. im not sure about the jumpers though, I will look at them.

Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 3 of 10, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No POST code is usually CPU or BIOS. Check that the CPU is getting voltage, a wrongful insertion of a 486 chip can kill the Vcore supply. I've seen it happen.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 4 of 10, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rev. v3.4B/F ? Just to be sure. You can see it next to the Keyboard connector.

I would like to say that this board kicked my ass. 😵 Very Powerful. Be careful.

OK

What does not kill you, make you strong. So let me share one tip:

You must configure JP6, JP7, JP13, JP8 A-B, JP9 A-C, JP10 A-C, JP11, JP14 and JP12 for Intel and AMD
The graphic is here with me.

Don't even think about installing a COAST module on that brown slot. They are different from Pentium COAST modules.

Don't use EDO RAM (This is not fatal. In fact, you can try it, but we dont want marginal performance right now).

-Clear CMOS jumper (J4) must be in "internal battery positive" and "Connect to CMOS" position.
(Pin 2 and Pin 3 are closed)

Win this time?

Excuse man, what the hell is nada ? Sounds familiar...

Reply 5 of 10, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it is rev v3.4B/F. I will set those jumpers up accordingly (I have to run up and back down the stairs now, my "smart"phone just kicked the bucket) and report back. I did read here http://th2chips.freeservers.com/m919/unoff/m919.html that those boards of that revision have PCI video issues! Also what graphic are you using? And nada is spanish for "nothing" I believe.

Reply 6 of 10, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
133MHz wrote:

No POST code is usually CPU or BIOS. Check that the CPU is getting voltage, a wrongful insertion of a 486 chip can kill the Vcore supply. I've seen it happen.

So, my board can be revived like a Phoenix?

I would never install a CPU in wrong position, but maybe the previous owner did it.
What about if he poorly connected the AT power pins? ( I did it once and was fatal, couldnt save it).

I am glad you are trying to help, but i have a multimeter and i'm a dumbass. Oh god.
"Check that the CPU is getting voltage" is chinese for me.
Once i checked the PSU voltages and they all matched and thats it.

Reply 7 of 10, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ahendricks18 wrote:

Yes, it is rev v3.4B/F. I will set those jumpers up accordingly (I have to run up and back down the stairs now, my "smart"phone just kicked the bucket) and report back.

"Have no Fear, Frasco is here" 😁
Briefly read this site containing great info and i was right. NO COAST, NO EDO for now.

Regarding those video issues, i'm not affected. Besides my diagnostic card would bring some kind of code if only the video card was faulty. Thanks anyway...

Nada is nothing in portuguese too. Obrigado, então pela força ! 😈 😈 😈

Reply 8 of 10, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Frasco wrote:

So, my board can be revived like a Phoenix?

Maybe, if it happens to have the problem I described.

Frasco wrote:

What about if he poorly connected the AT power pins? ( I did it once and was fatal, couldnt save it).

I've done it by accident several times and never damaged the boards nor the power supplies, such is luck. 😀

Frasco wrote:

You're almost there then. It's pretty much the same, only you test the voltage right at the CPU socket, without the chip in its place.

486proc_zpsd42af425.gif

Put the positive probe of the meter in any of the holes marked in red, and the negative probe into the black wire of one of the Molex connectors.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 9 of 10, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Frasco wrote:

I will do that. The probe seems bigger...

Thanks for the effort, no, really.

Reply 10 of 10, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something went wrong.

So i installed a paper clip in the socket and the probe goes to the molex (i got VCC=5V, which sounds bad to me)
During the process, i saw "dirt" lying close to the socket. For my surprise, that was a path that goes from socket 3 to JP14, which in his turn is critical for select CPU type

Can't do anything about it.
No matter. You will see in the near future that i really care about a ALD VL4200 Rev 3.3 (featuring 3 VLB slots and Windows BIOS...oh my baby... no...no....noooooooooooo 😢 ).

Back to the M919. I can take pictures of the affected area (the path looks good under the socket).

This place is heaven because by giving away you get love in return.
The M919 VIP is diagnosed. You are the man 😁 😁

I could kiss you.