VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

my Soyo 025K2 seems only to run stable on nearly the slowest RAM settings.
I have 60ns FPM 72 pin memory and 256KB of 15ns cache (with ASTER TAG RAM). I've already tried other memory modules (60ns and 70ns), all of them only work reliably with the attached settings.

Any idea? Maybe an outdated, unstable BIOS? cheap memory (TI and SEC).

Speedsys results:
Memory Bandwith: 24.51MB/s
Data cache L1 (16KB) 55.83 MB/s
Data cache L2 (256KB) 30.56 MB/s
Memory throughput 17.40 MB/s

with faster settings the system isn't stable but I get the following results:
Memory Bandwith: 37.31MB/s
Data cache L1 (16KB) 73.54 MB/s
Data cache L2 (256KB) 50.81 MB/s
Memory throughput 30.91 MB/s

there is no faster stable setting than the one with the slow results (tried every setting).

when the system gets unstable it hangs eg when loading himem or it is booting from disk instead from floppy (lolled at that) or it hangs after pnp initialization of the SB16 ISA card. sometimes it finishes booting and i can start "edit.com" which then stays black with white text and freezes. if i try to start win 3.11 the splash screen shows up and then it crashes to dos.

it seems that this behaviour starts when I install the winbond VLB I/O controller. when I use a pure ISA I/O controller instead, the system is stable at the second-fastest memory settings.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0690.JPG
    File size
    2.97 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it is confirmed now. as long as any VLB I/O controller stays out of the system, everything is OK. I tried three different VLB controllers.. strange.

edit: will verify that but it seems that it also gets unstable when I add another ISA card (to be precise, a NIC) to the system. it random freezes either shortly after starting windows or windows 3.11 setup crashes everytime right after completing the DOS part of the installation. as soon as i set slower memory settings, windows setup runs fine.

i will try to run windows setup without the NIC but with the faster memory settings to see if the NIC makes the difference or not.

Reply 2 of 7, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

verified: the instability also occurs with the additional ISA card (NIC) installed. as soon as I go back to slow settings, everything works normal.
Could this have something to do with "load" on the ISA bus?

Reply 3 of 7, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny, as I was reading that I was going to say; Test your PSU if possible, assuming you have a multi-meter to do this with. If you do test it, do so whilst it is connected to the system and with the troublesome cards installed as otherwise you won't know what is happening to the voltages when the system is in an unstable configuration.

If you don't have a multi-meter then... I don't know. Maybe try a spare PSU if you have one.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 4 of 7, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

Funny, as I was reading that I was going to say; Test your PSU if possible, assuming you have a multi-meter to do this with. If you do test it, do so whilst it is connected to the system and with the troublesome cards installed as otherwise you won't know what is happening to the voltages when the system is in an unstable configuration.

If you don't have a multi-meter then... I don't know. Maybe try a spare PSU if you have one.

interesting, I'd never suspected the PSU, should I test all 5V, 12V and 3,3V?

Reply 5 of 7, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that PSU is stable at 12.2V/5.11V.

I now first installed everything (incl. NIC driver and TCP stack) and then configured the faster memory settings, so far everything is working. seems that the faster settings made problems during the NIC detection process, for whatever reason.

still no idea if it will stay decently stable and no idea whats the matter with the VLB I/O cards...

Reply 6 of 7, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could just have tired hardware. I was also going to ask about the PSU. If you have aging capacitors on the motherboard or in the power supply or both, you'll have these kinds of problems. Even if that hardware had never been used, the capacitors are way past their shelf life and could cause you problems, today.