VOGONS

First post, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know of an active adapter that exists so I can use *any* USB keyboard on an older system that only has ps/2 inputs? None of my USB keyboards are the type made to work with the passive adapters. And searching google for USB/PS2 adapters seems to only turn up adapters that go the other direction anyways.

Reply 2 of 8, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blackjudas wrote:

How about a USB 2.0 PCI Card?

There aren't USB2 cards for anything lower than a PCI2.1 compliant system. That excludes PCI boards from the 486/Pentium/PII era.

Some (based in the old NEC chipset, somewhat rare) USB 2.0 PCI cards will work with motherboards that follow the PCI Standard Version 2.1. That means is possible make them work with the Intel 440BX chipset based motherboars. Them also can, or can't work with some Via Apollo boards. Mileage can vary.

El cheapo VIA based USB 2.0 cards are even more picky. Them will not work with boards without MSI/MSIx, and that means a PCI v3.0 compliant system, version which made that feature mandatory. Some PCI2.2 also implement them in an optional way, but that means the card will work or will not, depending in the motherboard vendor if them implemented the required feature, or not.

For older systems, the only possibility is find an USB v1.1 card. Take on count that the Keyboard and Mouse will not work in DOS mode, as the support for that is built in the BIOS. This also applies for 3rd USB 2.0 card in a modern system.

Reply 3 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty uncommon adapter - active adapters from USB motherboard to PS2 keyboard are FAR more common.

However, they do exist. Also, due to all the active components and the limited demand, they trend towards the extremely expensive. Here's one, but be sure to read the reviews: compatibility is spotty.
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Keyboard-Mouse … +active+adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16812200976
(StarTech makes EVERYTHING I swear)

The feature you're looking for is more commonly found in KVMs than in standalone adapters, so keep an eye peeled for those instead. There's a few users here with large enough setups to require KVMs, though I do not know how many are using USB keyboards on PS2 machines.

Long story short: you're gonna go through hell finding one that "just works", unless one of our members has a suggestion, my recommendation is to add a USB PCI controller card if you can, though you will likely not have DOS compatibility in that situation.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The easiest method is to buy USB keyboard with the built-in PS/2 support and the passive adapter... Or the PS/2 keyboard itself. It will be far less expensive.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 5 of 8, by blackjudas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hyoenmadan wrote:
There aren't USB2 cards for anything lower than a PCI2.1 compliant system. That excludes PCI boards from the 486/Pentium/PII era […]
Show full quote
blackjudas wrote:

How about a USB 2.0 PCI Card?

There aren't USB2 cards for anything lower than a PCI2.1 compliant system. That excludes PCI boards from the 486/Pentium/PII era.

Some (based in the old NEC chipset, somewhat rare) USB 2.0 PCI cards will work with motherboards that follow the PCI Standard Version 2.1. That means is possible make them work with the Intel 440BX chipset based motherboars. Them also can, or can't work with some Via Apollo boards. Mileage can vary.

El cheapo VIA based USB 2.0 cards are even more picky. Them will not work with boards without MSI/MSIx, and that means a PCI v3.0 compliant system, version which made that feature mandatory. Some PCI2.2 also implement them in an optional way, but that means the card will work or will not, depending in the motherboard vendor if them implemented the required feature, or not.

For older systems, the only possibility is find an USB v1.1 card. Take on count that the Keyboard and Mouse will not work in DOS mode, as the support for that is built in the BIOS. This also applies for 3rd USB 2.0 card in a modern system.

This really is very useful information, thank you for posting this. My assumption was that this would work with mid-90's and newer systems, but now it seems that I have to look closer now.

Also, I see that the assumption that DOS wouldn't recognize an on-board card, but would FreeDOS?

Reply 6 of 8, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

The easiest method is to buy USB keyboard with the built-in PS/2 support and the passive adapter... Or the PS/2 keyboard itself. It will be far less expensive.

This. You can get PS/2 keyboards for free, if you're not very picky.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 7 of 8, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use an Aten CS84U KVM switch, which has onboard keyboard/mouse emulation. I have a USB keyboard and mouse plugged in, and depending on which cables you use (either USB or PS/2), the switch automatically emulates on the PS/2 port if needed. Works flawlessly.

Reply 8 of 8, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Nec Chipset Card will be fine, even in older PCI Mainboards.
Works even in Non PC Systems, Sun Ultra, RS/6K
And my PCi 2.0 486 Mainboard.

But without BIOS Support, a USB Keyboard is almost useless.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board