VOGONS

Super Socket 7 cooling

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 42, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

For ASUS P5A (super socket 7) can anybody recommend a Zalman CPU cooler? Are the Socket 370 coolers compatible?

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 21 of 42, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Atom Ant wrote:

Hello!

For ASUS P5A (super socket 7) can anybody recommend a Zalman CPU cooler? Are the Socket 370 coolers compatible?

I briefly ran with a CNPS-6000Cu on my K6-3+, before deciding that it was complete overkill for such a cool CPU and moving it to a P3-1000EB. In any event it will fit and cool it, and you only need minimal airflow to keep it cool.

Reply 22 of 42, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am using a GlobalWin FEP32 on my Asus P5A since the original days with an amd k6-3+ oc at 600mhz.Last 5 years with the revival of retro pcs i changed the loud 60mm ystech fan with a low noise 80mm fan using a 60mm to 80mm fan adaptor with great results.

Attachments

• fep32.jpg
    Filename
    fep32.jpg
    File size
    14.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 57e28e291331c_p1170145_ss.jpg
    Filename
    57e28e291331c_p1170145_ss.jpg
    File size
    10.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 23 of 42, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:

Hello!

I briefly ran with a CNPS-6000Cu on my K6-3+, before deciding that it was complete overkill for such a cool CPU and moving it to a P3-1000EB. In any event it will fit and cool it, and you only need minimal airflow to keep it cool.

I like that CNPS-6000Cu, it would definitively make the internal look better, wonderful cooler! However it is too new for my 1997 system and wouldn't be necessary for a Pentium 233MMX CPU. Any other recommendation which looks premium, made before 2000 and preferably Zalman?

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 25 of 42, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

I have been using 1U socket A server fan/heatsinks such as MASSCOOL 5R057B3 and StarTech FAN3701U on my P5A-B. They are very loud but they are the only two coolers I can find that fit on the board and keep K6-3+ calm at 600MHz.

You can replace the fans.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 27 of 42, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm looking in to options for cooling a K6-III+ 450@550mHz for a VA-503+. Any recommendations? Best function, best value, and best looking are all factors. Considering this as a tacky transparent case build.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 28 of 42, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TimWolf wrote:

I'm looking in to options for cooling a K6-III+ 450@550mHz for a VA-503+. Any recommendations? Best function, best value, and best looking are all factors. Considering this as a tacky transparent case build.

Thanks in advance!

Did you take a temperature gun to it and see what temp it is running at ?
The AMD K6-3 450mhz. Is not suppose to run hotter than 65-Celsius.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K6-III/AMD-K6-I … III-450AFX.html

See how hot it gets and let us know.

Attachments

Reply 30 of 42, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you really want an overkill:
titan-cu5tb.jpg
Titan CU5TB
Copper and probably will fit on most SS7 motherboard, excluding ones with very tall capacitors near the socket.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2018-09-09, 01:53. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 32 of 42, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the aluminium version and it can cool an Athlon XP 1900 without problem, but take into account that the fan is very loud (and I mean VEERY loud, it's probably the loudest CPU fan I've ever used).

Reply 34 of 42, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TimWolf wrote:

You make me curious... can you post a photo of your "tacky transparent case" ?

Reply 35 of 42, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Newegg sold some cheapish Startech ones brand new that seemed pretty nice. I prefer the stock heatsinks from lowend Celeron socket 370 heatsinks. Always seem to be around in good qualities for cheap/free/ drowning in them. And you can buy some nice 40mm fans like a Noctua to replace the noisy stock ones, makes a standard heatsink shine.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 36 of 42, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

No kidding overkill, I run an athlon xp @ 1.4 ghz passive with a 6000-cu. Awkward shape though.

Reply 37 of 42, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For a long time my best socket-7 cooler was a cheap StarTech that holds a 60mm fan. I think the model was something like FAN370(Pro?) or something like that. It's for socket 7 and 370, obviously.
I originally used it with a K6-3 450MHz @ 2.3V which I think ran up to 60-65C in long term use (with dust accumulation in a closed cabinet), so it was borderline for that setup.
I currently have it installed on a K6-3+ that runs 550MHz @ 1.8V and there is no heat issue at all. It's been a long time since I ran it, but if I remember right I think it stays in the 30s or maybe 40C. That's with an open case though.

Something I like about it is that the clip doesn't have too much pressure. It's not that hard to cool socket-7 or socket-370 CPUs. What I worry about is breaking the heatsink retaining hooks on the socket, so I prefer something that doesn't stress them.
To that end, I now lean towards using a modified Socket-A cooler with 3 hooks on it. By "modified" I just mean that the clip has been bent so that it is gentle with socket 7. The only problem with these is that they can be too big for some motherboards.

Reply 38 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Using a 'newish' s370/sA HSF may require use of a spare metal clip, as some put a lot of pressure on the CPU socket extension thingies, which are easier to break then one might expect (yes I've broken one once and yes it was a ss7 board 😒 ).
With s7/ss7 there's also the issue of clearance. Many ss7 boards seem to have caps and resistors and all kinds of stuff right next to the CPU socket, making the more beefy HSFs not fit.
Same goes for the metal retention clips that have 3 openings instead of the 1 that many other HSFs have. Usually 3 is better as it helps prevent breaking of these CPU extension thingies, but if the HSF isn't really tightly installed, 1 should suffice.
Some of the metal clips may require a bit of bending, these ss7 CPUs don't need a tight fitting HSF.

ODwilly wrote:

Newegg sold some cheapish Startech ones brand new that seemed pretty nice. I prefer the stock heatsinks from lowend Celeron socket 370 heatsinks. Always seem to be around in good qualities for cheap/free/ drowning in them. And you can buy some nice 40mm fans like a Noctua to replace the noisy stock ones, makes a standard heatsink shine.

I second this. On top of that, these heatsinks will usually always fit as they don't overhang the CPU socket anywhere (except for maybe thge much larger Tualeron HSFs or so).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 39 of 42, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote:
TimWolf wrote:

You make me curious... can you post a photo of your "tacky transparent case" ?

Sure, I'll try to get a pic with my phone today. It's in my basement hoard. Been waiting for years to do something fun with it.