VOGONS


Reply 140 of 151, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SRQ wrote:

Does the Vortex 2 do MIDI out under DOS? That's the one thing a Live! or Audigy fails for me- and since my iPad can emulate SC-88 it's a great way to get good midi music.

Yup. Take note of the DreamBlaster S1 wavetable board being used. You can also connect an external MIDI device to the joystick port.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 141 of 151, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
SRQ wrote:

Does the Vortex 2 do MIDI out under DOS? That's the one thing a Live! or Audigy fails for me- and since my iPad can emulate SC-88 it's a great way to get good midi music.

Yup. Take note of the DreamBlaster S1 wavetable board being used. You can also connect an external MIDI device to the joystick port.

Oh man that's absolutely perfect. I wish I had one a while ago instead of assing around with Creative drivers which force a poor midi synth on DOS.
Actual sound is limited to SB-Pro though, right? Is that even markedly worse than SB16?

Reply 142 of 151, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, Sound Blaster Pro.

It's not an issue really, DOS sound effects were usually recorded in low quality anyway, to save space.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 144 of 151, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SRQ wrote:

I'm starting to get really excited about the one I'm buying.
Is there much difference to manufactures? I'm looking at an MX300 on Amibay and someone local ~might~ have a Turtle Beach.

Not really. The MX300 is likely going to cost a bit more, the TB can be cheaper. There are also other cards like TechWorks for example.

The MX300 is the most "legendary" you could say. It was the card most gamers got 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 145 of 151, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Yes and no re: RAMBUS. Bandwidth was good, but latency was absolutely brutal.

It's probably marketing for the most part similar to DPI for mice. Where can you actually feel difference between slower and faster latency? Only in benchmarks?

DPI isn't a marketing thing, ever play an FPS multiplier with an adjustable DPI mouse? I do and I will go up to 3600 DPI for sniping, 1200 for rifles at medium and then down to 800 for close in with pistol or SMG. The changes in DPI really help so thats a bad comparision.

Reply 146 of 151, by villahed94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I am having problems with DOS and my P4 machine. It's got an i845 chipset, yet stuff like the YMF744 card I've got here refuse to work properly. This motherboard lacks an SB-Link connector so I've got to use DSDMA yet it refuses to work (just restarts the computer)

Reply 147 of 151, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been planning to resurrect an old board I was given in a junk machine years ago.

Its a micro ATX Socket 423 board with an original first-run 1.7Ghz Pentium 4. I know these aren't super rare, but it is the only Socket 423 system I've ever come across personally. It supports ECC SDRAM in extremely high capacities (up to 1GB per slot), and I happened to get a pair of 1GB PC-133 ECC sticks that will hopefully work in it. I'll likely throw Windows 10 on it to test it just for kicks, but in the end I may turn it into another 9x gaming system.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 148 of 151, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey Phil, one question for you. Did you manage to install Intel INF software? I have the same board, but with a faster cpu and everytime I install the drivers the windows just locks up on reboot...

Reply 149 of 151, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sprcorreia wrote:

Hey Phil, one question for you. Did you manage to install Intel INF software? I have the same board, but with a faster cpu and everytime I install the drivers the windows just locks up on reboot...

It's been a while...

Try older versions?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 150 of 151, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
sprcorreia wrote:

Hey Phil, one question for you. Did you manage to install Intel INF software? I have the same board, but with a faster cpu and everytime I install the drivers the windows just locks up on reboot...

It's been a while...

Try older versions?

I think I'll probably skip it. Thanks.

Reply 151 of 151, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Phil, you are right, a P4 is a fantastic Retro-Machine! Enough power for later win98 games and emulation such as retro-machines and dosbox.

Retro-Gamer 😀PowerMac 6100-66/Houdini 486/66 - G4 Cube 450/Rage128pro OS9.0.1 - Macintosh LC/Apple IIe Card OS6.0.8 - Acorn A4000 Archimedes - Unisys CWD 486/66 + Aztech Washington