VOGONS

Upgrading a windows 95 desktop

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 28, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can possibly (depending if the board isn't finicky) get a 233 w/ MMX going by using the PowerLeap PL-ProMMX Plus
http://homepage3.nifty.com/sandy55/Interposer … us%20Ver.%204.0

If you need 128 MB EDO DIMM modules I might be able to hunt some listings for you. I purchased a bunch awhile back with the intention of expanding my machines to a full 384 MB.

alexanrs wrote:

I think the 430HX is the one Intel chipset that does not have that limitation (as long as you have the correct TAG RAM). No TAG RAM can help with the 430VX, though. I know the VIA VP2/97 can also cache at least 256MB with the correct TAG RAM, but not all boards have it.

Unfortunately my Triton II is affected by the 8-bit tag cache. Boo. This will soon be resolved with the aforementioned power of K6-III.

But get this... Intel offered the ability to go beyond 64 MB of RAM on the original Socket 4 P60/P66 platform with the A82496-60 cache controller! In the case of the PS/2 Model 95 you can expand the system with 256 MB of SIMM memory with no penalties whatsoever:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/complexes/Type4-P.html
So Intel was deliberately short-changing everyone 4 years later when they had already solved the cache issue prior.

Reply 23 of 28, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
raymangold wrote:

So Intel was deliberately short-changing everyone 4 years later when they had already solved the cache issue prior.

Probably just a cost-cutting measure, as the more expensive HX chipset could handle it with the appropriate tag ram. Remember, 64MB was a huge amount of memory for home users when these boards first came out.

Reply 24 of 28, by T4600C

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:
raymangold wrote:

Probably just a cost-cutting measure, as the more expensive HX chipset could handle it with the appropriate tag ram. Remember, 64MB was a huge amount of memory for home users when these boards first came out.

My board has a 128MB limit. I don't have the L2 cach module though, any idea where to get that?

I'll need to repair it first of course, hopefully its the PSU.

Reply 25 of 28, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

But many OEMs who implemented Triton II didn't bother to add the 11-bit tag. It should have just been a default option out of the box rather than intel leaving the option for OEMs to choose the 'wrong' tag.

T4600C wrote:

My board has a 128MB limit. I don't have the L2 cach module though, any idea where to get that?

Your board doesn't have any CPU cache? If so, the only way to get cache would be to get the PowerLeap PL-K6-III so you can use the K6-2+ or K6-III's on-die cache.

Reply 26 of 28, by T4600C

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
raymangold wrote:
But many OEMs who implemented Triton II didn't bother to add the 11-bit tag. It should have just been a default option out of th […]
Show full quote
alexanrs wrote:

But many OEMs who implemented Triton II didn't bother to add the 11-bit tag. It should have just been a default option out of the box rather than intel leaving the option for OEMs to choose the 'wrong' tag.

T4600C wrote:

Your board doesn't have any CPU cache? If so, the only way to get cache would be to get the PowerLeap PL-K6-III so you can use the K6-2+ or K6-III's on-die cache.

I am talking about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_on_a_stick

Reply 27 of 28, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
T4600C wrote:

Ohhh right, a COAST module. The part number for the module for your compaq is: 236708-001
I couldn't find any on ebay. There's this random website, you could ask the guy if he has one:
https://www.bigblueparts.com/pc-11161-230-cpq … che-memory.aspx

But yeah if you can't source the COAST module, your next best option would be a PL-K6-III (although finding a COAST module would probably be easier).

Reply 28 of 28, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
T4600C wrote:

Messed with the jumpers again, got it running at 120mhz, better to only start using this when I bought a fan though.

For a fan you are most likely looking for a 40mm fan with a Molex power connector (the 4pin plug used to power hard drives etc.) it will be double ended so you can daisy chain it to a power connector that is in use even if you have no free plugs 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1