VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I seem to have issues with Ultima Underworld where the music is very quiet and the sound effects are too loud. I used the ESSVOL.EXE utility and all volumes were at 2 apart from Wave Volume, so I changed that to 2 as well. The speech in Ultima Underworld was still really loud when compared to everything else though. On 4D Boxing all sound is too loud. There are built in volume keys on this machine to control the speakers, but I already have it on the lowest setting. The volume range for ESSVOL.EXE is 0 to 15. Is there a way to fix this?

* Edit - Is there a TSR that can be used with this Sound Blaster Pro compatible card that can control volume?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 1 of 1, by Pravnuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I just bought a Compaq Presario CDS 520 and have the exact same issue with sound volume.

First, I set all essvol to "2".

So far I tried three games:

Pinball Fantasies. When running this game in soundblaster pro mode, the music is insanely loud, and when I check essvol values afterward, the main volume is upped to 14 (out of 15 I presume). The volume is fine when I run the game in Adlib mode for some reason.

Doom and Wolfenstein 3D: Sound effects are way too high compared with the music. Doom shoots (no pun intended) Wave volume in essvol up to 14.

Anyone know a solution for this? Also, I was wondering if I could utilize the internal speakers of the Preario if I used a Soundblaster 16 ISA card or similar?