VOGONS

Suntac 286P

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I obtained two Suntac motherboards that house an integrated (soldered on) Siemens SAB 80286-12-B (date code 9047).
I would like to build an 286 system for some ZZT or something 😀

I found that it is this model from Stason - http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/UN … ml#.Vd7RFhHou70

Onboard it has an IDE interface and an Floppy interface via an ACC Micro 3201. One of the boards also has an intel D80287-10 socketed.
It also has that weird RAM socket that requires me to solder pins onto SIMM memory, as well as sockets for extended memory in dip form.

Pretty much the board looks pretty cool and I would like to know a couple of things:

1. Being that this is my first 286 build I would like to know is 12MHz 286 sufficient for some basic games and stuff (like zzt) ? Which MS-DOS to use?
2. Does an FPU actually benefit anything? And is 10MHz enough?
3. Is the controller an XT-IDE or an AT-IDE ?
4. Is the floppy controller an 1.44MB one or an 720kB one?
5. How do I make / pimp the SIMM memory module to fit into these sockets? Should I solder on only one side or both?
6. Is this board stable, that is, is the chipset good?
7. And finally, can this board be pimped for more performance ?

I removed the batteries from both of the boards even though they were not leaking, but their voltage was 0.24V.
Interesting notice on them, they both lack the metal shield on the AT keyboard connector. Or is it XT I don't know yet.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. basic (old) games would work
2. FPU is only used is some applications (Autocad, Quattro Pro...) and even less games (Falcon 3.0). FPU runs 1/3 of the CPU speed (or 1/2 with pin hack). So 10MHz FPU is good for up to 16-20MHz CPU.

6. only the last of 286 chipsets make it really breathe (Headland HT12, VLSI...)
7. you can always change clock generators. If you have 12MHz, then oscillator is 24MHz, you could change it with faster - but not all cpu's OC nicely.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Matching the FPU to your 286 motherboard is actually not so simple. In the original IBM AT, the FPU would normally run at 2/3 the CPU speed. Many of the early clone 286 motherboards were also 2/3, but some of them were 1/2. Some have jumpers that let you change the divider, and some have empty oscillator sockets that let you run any speed FPU you want. Some have soldered oscillators that run your FPU at a fixed speed. What it really comes down to is that you have to read the motherboard manual. This can be especially important for later generations of 287 FPUs. The Intel 80287XL for example has a 3/2 multiplier, so when you plug it into an original 5170 AT motherboard it will run at 1:1 (not 2/3 speed). Let's say your 12MHz AT Turbo 286 clone sets the FPU to run at 1:1 (12MHz) by default, If you popped an Intel 80287XL in there it would run at 12MHz * (3/2) = 18MHz!!! which would be overclocking. As far as I know 287s from Cyrix, IIT and AMD also have the 3/2 multiplier.

So basically you need to read documentation for both your 286 motherboard AND 287 FPU to make sure everything is running in spec.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 6, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As this motherboard was available with a 20 MHz CPU it should be a late 286 board so the floppy controller and BIOS will probably work with a 1.44MB floppy drive and the IDE interface will probably support the standrad disks type 1 to 46 and with luck a user defined setting.

If the CPU is in a socket get a 20 MHz CPU and a 40 MHz crystal (or a 16 MHz CPU and overclock it to 20 MHz). If the CPU is soldered get a 32 MHz crystal and overclock the 12 MHz CPU to 16 MHz, it should™ work.

When it comes to DOS gaming the 286 is pretty much equal to the 386SX clock for clock.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 6, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

cool, sound slike a fun thing to try 😀
I will post a picture of it tomorrow. I have two exact ones, thinking of trying them out a little. I will probably gift one to a friend.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 5 of 6, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope nobody has anything against reviving this old thread…
I have the same motherboard…
Stojke, have you managed to build something with these motherboards?

Answering to your questions (probably you already know most of the answers anyway):

1. YES! Even some of the pretty advanced games up to ~1993 will run well on this machine (ie. Falcon 3.0, Flight Simulator 4.0, shooters like Alien Breed etc)

2. In business software mostly. On my board there is AMD 287 FPU - P80C287-10 (which runs with 286 12 MHz CPU).

3. AT-IDE

4. 1,44MB

5. You solder a pin header to the SIMM module to turn it into SIPP. Solder on both sides for strenght (electrically it doesn't matter).

6. It is very stable. Good chipset. But you may have problems if you try to enable UMB memory (not that it matters much).

7. By replacing (desoldering CPU) and quartz - yes, but again... why would you want to do that?

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 6 of 6, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:
I hope nobody has anything against reviving this old thread… I have the same motherboard… Stojke, have you managed to build som […]
Show full quote

I hope nobody has anything against reviving this old thread…
I have the same motherboard…
Stojke, have you managed to build something with these motherboards?

Answering to your questions (probably you already know most of the answers anyway):

1. YES! Even some of the pretty advanced games up to ~1993 will run well on this machine (ie. Falcon 3.0, Flight Simulator 4.0, shooters like Alien Breed etc)

2. In business software mostly. On my board there is AMD 287 FPU - P80C287-10 (which runs with 286 12 MHz CPU).

3. AT-IDE

4. 1,44MB

5. You solder a pin header to the SIMM module to turn it into SIPP. Solder on both sides for strenght (electrically it doesn't matter).

6. It is very stable. Good chipset. But you may have problems if you try to enable UMB memory (not that it matters much).

7. By replacing (desoldering CPU) and quartz - yes, but again... why would you want to do that?

I just bought another one of those. I really like how fast HT/12A based boards are, but SUNTAC has some special place in my heart.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg