VOGONS

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since there isn't many tests comparing direcly a Pentium MMX to a K6-III, and since I got a K-6-III+, I decided to give it a try to compare the performance btw a Pentium mmx 233 and a K6-III+ 400

http://i.imgur.com/85AF9OG.png

The image isn't just about the pmmx vs k6-iii+ but, it includes alot of tests, like different drivers, different keyboard types (USB vs DIMM), sound cards (Isa sound card vs USB sound card) and also some os testing (98 x ME x 2000)...

Some extra information that wasn't included on the photo.
-Star Wars Pod Racer was playable on the Pentium mmx, with everything on low, but, there were some Racing levels where the fps would go too low, with the k6-III+ everything is playable on max 😁 (Even if the recomended processor is a Pentium 233, it runs slow on my tests)
-Heroes III Might and Magic, with the help of the slow gameplay, you cant note at all the lag on a Pentium mmx, only when you're moving your player you can note some lag, on a K6-III+ this lag doesn't exist.
-MDK2: This one requires a Pentium 2 233, so as you can see, the fps difference is huge, maybe it would be playable if the voodoo 3 supported the T&L that drains some extra processor power (Even a k6-III+ on the same config can't reach 30fps D:)
-Boot loading time: I thinked it would change, but, As I counted, there wasn't a single change on the boot time, neither scandisk got so fast at all, maybe with a faster hdd controler I could check some difference...
-Browsing on the internet:You can browse on the internet with a Pentium mmx 233, but, some sites will take some time (I tried to open facebook on it, and it took more than a minute to load it D:), on the K6-III, you can actually browse many websites without many lag.
-Old games: For me, all the games that I tested didn't suffered from some compatibility problem with the K6-III, the most speed sensitive game that I runned was comanche and it worked fine changing the cache off and downclocking it.

Well, that's all, I may edit this thread for including some extra information...

Reply 1 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ibm5155 wrote:

Since there isn't many tests comparing direcly a Pentium MMX to a K6-III

Because they're a generation apart. Comparisons of the K6-3+ versus PPro, P2, P3, Athlon, Celeron, MII and earlier K6s is far more interesting, especially if you factor in the MSRP of each (if you can find them).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 10, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder how a Pentium MMX @ 300MHz (100 * 3) would hold up. Both the faster clock speed and faster bus speed should give it a fair advantage over the stock setup.

Reply 4 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ibm5155 wrote:

Since there isn't many tests comparing direcly a Pentium MMX to a K6-III...

alexanrs wrote:

I wonder how a Pentium MMX @ 300MHz (100 * 3) would hold up.

Did you look at the Ultimate 486/686 Benchmark Comparison? Nearly all Pentium-class CPUs between 60 and 600 MHz have been compared.

The integer performance of a P55C at 300 MHz was 126.3.
The integer performance of a K6-III at 450 MHz was 253.6.
For a K6 series CPU to have similar integer performance to a P55C at 300 MHz, you can use a K6-233 Mhz (121.7). In reality, a K6-250 probably equates to a P55C-300 in integer performance. I did not test a K6-250, but a K6-266 scored 138.1.

The floating point performance of a P55C at 300 MHz was 129.4.
The floating point performance of a K6-III at 450 MHz was 229.3
For a K6 series CPU to have similar floating point performance to a P55C at 300 MHz, you can use a K6-2-266 (130.6) or a K6-333 (131.6)

The Quake II performance of a P55C at 300 MHz was 15.3 (non-accelerated).
The Quake II performance of a K6-III at 450 MHz was 20.4 (non-accelerated).
For a K6 series CPU to have similar Quake 2 results as a P55C at 300 MHz, you can use a K6-2-350 or K6-III-333.

The Pentium MMX, even at 300 MHz, is in a different league compared to the K6-III. It is much more interesting to compare a Pentium MMX to a Cyrix MII, Rise mP6, and IDT Winchip2. For floating point performance, a Pentium MMX 233 (P55C) is about the same as a Cyrix MII at 300 MHz, an IDT Winchip2 at 250 MHz, and a Rise mP6 at 233 MHz.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 10, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know the difference is high, but I was curious about what an k6-iii+ upgrade would result in term of performance. (and also, other tests like a Pentium mmx with 100MHz fsb, usb sound card performance...)

Some weird note, idk what happened with quake 1 software benchmark, but the result from k6-III+ wasn't that big compared to the Pentium mmx one

EDIT: would a k6-iii+ 500 have a big performance gain compared to a 400 one? (like on my Pentium mmx 233 x 250, the performance on quake 2 was better, but with other testes it was minimal, and without l1/l2 cache, the performance got worse than a Pentium mmx 233)

Reply 6 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe Quake and Quake II uses floating point calculations, a weakness of the K6 processor.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First I experimented with a P1-mmx, after that I tried a K6-III+ (400/66) for a longer time and now I use a PII-333.
It's over all the best machine I used for Retro-Computing. These things stand out:

1. It runs a lot of old Dos-Titles very well (though some Demos/Games will not run)
2. It runs lots of 3DFX Win9x Titles very well.
3. It also has the Power to emulate other Machines (C64/Atari/Amiga).

Overall the best pick for me.

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2015-08-31, 11:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 8 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ibm5155 wrote:

would a k6-iii+ 500 have a big performance gain compared to a 400 one?

The answer to this is in the Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 9 of 10, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, from the quake perspective, there's almost no gain (on the point of view from the diference of a pmmx to a k6-iii)
I went to a K6-III+ because I discovered that my motherboard that I bought was a super socket 7 (I was actually just searching for some baby at socket 7 with agp).
And also, because I found the K6-IIII+ for only $10 ($5 now ;( )...

I thinked for emulating perfectly a commodore 64 you needed a Pentium 3 1GHz or a Pentium 4 2,4GHz (even If I tested on the Pentium mmx 233 an emulator that worked fine on it, but it could only make sound from the pc speaker)