VOGONS

Matrox M3D / PCX2 opinions

Topic actions

Reply 42 of 67, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I use a P4 with mine. 6th gen cpus can bottleneck its potential 320x240 performance in certain supported games 😀

mhm interesting, can you please tell us your full setup ? I really had a hard time with the M3D on a Pentium 4 D 3 GHz.

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 44 of 67, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a mATX Tualatin motherboard which has onboard video and no AGP slot so its been gathering dust. The onboard video is TridentBlade3D. This way I can make sure nothing is holding back the m3D, and still use this board I probably wouldn't otherwise use.

Thoughts?

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m6vlq

Reply 46 of 67, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe most of the PowerVR game counterparts look better and run at a higher resolution than their Direct3D versions. For a detailed list with all PowerVR games go here

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 48 of 67, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:

There's a few DOS games that have PowerVR support.
Titles that come to mind are Tomb Raider and MechWarrior 2.

Tomb Raider is the only DOS game that have PowerVR support. All others are Windows conversions.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 49 of 67, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tombraider1 for Dos seems to be great with PowerVR. But Turok1 is bad. The performance is not so good, some effects are missing even compared to the D3D-Version on my IGP i865 ist not good either.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 51 of 67, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Background in the Intro behind the tree. In GLIDE and D3D it's moving and shaded, in PVR it's only flat, same with the sky in the entire game.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 52 of 67, by Jerry79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, this is an old thread i know but i remember reading a comment that the m3d is stackable.
Does anyone know something about that?
Is it even possible and if so is there a Driver?
I could not find any info or confirmation in the manual or other forums.

Reply 54 of 67, by Jerry79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2020-08-29, 22:43:

great necro, so you are telling us that you have more than 1? Cuz if u don't you wont find another.

Yes i got my hands on two of these. Both got recognized by the win98se system just fine. With original driver and apocalypse tested.
No issues but although no gains in bench-marking with Quake-powerVR.
So, for me it seems the m3d is not stackable but maybe I'm missing something.

Reply 55 of 67, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Guessing the game may have to support it directly?

My guess is that if it was possible, nothing probably ever supported it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 56 of 67, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2016-05-22, 22:17:
Tommaso72 wrote:

actually a 686mx 133

Speed on that won't be great either. The PCX2's drivers demand a strong FPU

What would be a good CPU for the PCX2? I've just installed a Matrox m3D into my Pentium (non-MMX) 200 MHz machine, run Final Reality and the results are way lower than Voodoo 1s in this machine: 1.21 vs 1.76 Reality Marks.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 58 of 67, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GL1zdA wrote on 2022-01-31, 12:21:

What would be a good CPU for the PCX2?

Period correctly, a Klamath P2 233-300 on a 440LX. Many Pentium II OEM systems towards the end of 1997 had PCX2s with them

Other than that, 7th gen stuff (Athlon, P3, P4) should be fine as there's a few games a PCX2 can handle better on those processors than the P2. You can potentially get through Deus Ex on one...

The aforementioned P4 + M3D gets 2.93 reality marks for the 3d test. It's not a very good test for pure 3d cardness as that ripple at the start's quite the CPU muncher

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 59 of 67, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-01-31, 17:30:
GL1zdA wrote on 2022-01-31, 12:21:

What would be a good CPU for the PCX2?

Period correctly, a Klamath P2 233-300 on a 440LX. Many Pentium II OEM systems towards the end of 1997 had PCX2s with them

Which OEMs used the PCX2?

It looks to me, as if the PCX2 was positioned in some really odd place. A $99 card that required a $600 CPU to make the most of it.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices