VOGONS

The 286 Laptop Restoration Thread

Topic actions

First post, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi folks. Since joining this site I have been seriously impressed by the knowledge, passion, skill and dedication of its members. As such, I invite assistance in my restoration project. If I'm lucky, not much effort will be required to succeed. If I'm not, I will need some hardware hacks and this will be beyond my skillset.

So, introducing the Toshiba T1600:

20150902_225640.jpg

It came with two batteries, PSU and manual. It registers DC power, but will not power up. The specs are:

• IBM PC AT Compatible
  • 80C286-16 CPU with co-pro DIP socket
  • 1MB RAM expandable to 5MB
  • 20MB 3.5" Conner hard drive
  • 640x400 LCD screen with 16 level greyscale
  • Built-in modem
  • 1.44" FDD
  • 1x external drive port, 1x parallel, 2x serial, 1x RGB.

Amazingly, the service manual is the first result from a Google search and boy did I need it. This thing is entirely modular and a thing of beauty in its simplicity but complicated in its implementation.

First concern is, of course, BIOS battery. In order to see it I needed to remove the keyboard, screen, display and CPU board. Regardez - my first 286!

20150902_231018.jpg

Imagine my surprise to find the optional co-pro installed. Although I could now see the BIOS battery, it was still in the depths of the machine so the top cover came off, revealing the full size hard drive and another battery... and some corrosion 🙁

20150902_231937.jpg

It had eaten through the outer layer of metal above it:

20150902_231949.jpg

However, as if the designers anticipated this issue, you can see the battery is housed in a plastic 'caddy', protecting the components around it. The battery connected to the power PCB and, despite nasty corrosive evidence on the connector, the surrounding components seem unaffected. So far, so lucky:

20150902_232337.jpg

Apparently this is the resume battery. It will need a replacement. Does anyone recognise it / know where I can get one? Anyway, onto the main issue:

20150902_232603.jpg

I presume this is the BIOS battery and I presume it is flat as a pancake. I am yet to run my voltmeter across it though. Again, any clues on a replacement? I will have to remove the main motherboard in order to desolder it.

So, I can't make any more progress until these batteries are replaced. Does anyone want me to take anymore photos of this beauty in the interim?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 1 of 75, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice! I hope you're able to get it in good working condition again. Although I am in the process of collecting various Toshiba portables from the same era, I have no knowledge of this specific model, as my collecting is currently focused on the models equipped with plasma screens.

With that said, I currently have two T3100SX portables that also won't power on. The T3100SX is notorious for having faulty/leaky caps on the internal power converter board, and I wonder if this model has a similar problem. If so, check the area around the plug for the power adapter for leaky caps and corrosion. On my T3100SX, replacing the caps unfortunately didn't help, but IF this is what's wrong with your system, then hopefully you have better luck fixing it than I did.

Also, just an FYI in case you do get it working and discover the hard drive needs replacing...if this Toshiba is like the others I've worked with, then the BIOS is hard-coded to only accept Conner hard drives, specifically models that begin with "CP". Other brands won't work even though the system uses IDE. In addition, most likely the BIOS is set to only recognize a couple different capacities of Conner drives, so even if you do find a Conner drive it accepts, you may not be able to use the entire capacity without installing a DDO if it's larger than the predefined capacities in the BIOS. There are BIOS patches to remove these limitations, but AFAIK this requires physically replacing the BIOS chips with flashed EEPROMs, of which I have no experience and thus cannot provide any input on.

Good luck!

Reply 2 of 75, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
torindkflt wrote:

The T3100SX is notorious for having faulty/leaky caps on the internal power converter board, and I wonder if this model has a similar problem. If so, check the area around the plug for the power adapter for leaky caps and corrosion. On my T3100SX, replacing the caps unfortunately didn't help, but IF this is what's wrong with your system, then hopefully you have better luck fixing it than I did.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't look very closely but I recall they were okay. I'm very comfortable with re-capping so that step will be fine - it's the improvisation that I'm not so confident with like if parts just don't exist anymore and hacking a modern replacement.

torindkflt wrote:

Also, just an FYI in case you do get it working and discover the hard drive needs replacing...if this Toshiba is like the others I've worked with, then the BIOS is hard-coded to only accept Conner hard drives, specifically models that begin with "CP". Other brands won't work even though the system uses IDE.

The only other drive I have from that era is the Conner CP3000 in my 386 so fingers crossed.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3 of 75, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This battery is a 3.6V NiMH Rechargable. (3x1.2V in series)

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab148/city … 0902_232603.jpg

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 75, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So finally the replacement battery arrived from China. Not 3.6v, not rechargeable.

20160416_105602-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
20160416_105602-1200x2133.jpg
File size
391.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Fitted it to the motherboard anyway - worth a go (comparison with original battery - impossible to tell the scale on the eBay picture.

20160416_110014-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20160416_110014-1600x900.jpg
File size
287.2 KiB
Views
File license

Tested the system in a somewhat dismantled state. Got a flashing DC-in LED, which apparently means power board error. I was going I could get away with not connecting the charging circuit as I'm not using it - apparently the board logic won't allow this. I even attached the dead standby battery just in case.

20160416_132219.jpg
Filename
20160416_132219.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license

Still dead as a door nail. Either the replacement battery is supplying insufficient charge, in which case I'm back to square 1, or a working standby battery is required and I'm a step back *groan*.

Reply 5 of 75, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good Luck, i also have my own Restoration Nightmare with Compaq LTE 286 and LTE 8086.
You should check all Capacitors.
I also had a Toshiba 386SX with dead Capacitors in the DC Board, maybe this is you issue ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc

Reply 6 of 75, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're probably right. Despite the board itself looking in awesome condition, with no bulging or leaking from any of the caps, checking each one is the only way to tell and I'm just guilty of wishful thinking really. It's worth the effort.

Soldering iron it is then!

Reply 7 of 75, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure it's caps, but maybe a connection issue. The DC in socket is being temperamental but I am getting a millisecond of activity with all the right LEDs lighting up, some lines on the LCD and a hard drive click. There is hope...

20160416_180029-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20160416_180029-1600x900.jpg
File size
282.78 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 8 of 75, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, before i forget it, if you want to see if there is life inside, you can take a look on the lpt port,
many laptops spit post codes out there.

Reply 9 of 75, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:

Ah, before i forget it, if you want to see if there is life inside, you can take a look on the lpt port,
many laptops spit post codes out there.

Cheers - I believe that's references in the manual (when they were still technical) but hadn't thought of that.

Reply 10 of 75, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, found a leaker. Looks like recapping is the only sensible option now... *sigh*

20160417_125945-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
20160417_125945-1200x2133.jpg
File size
407.41 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12 of 75, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

I would replace all caps with new Rubycon or Panasonic caps, for safety 😉

Yep, I found another one when I removed them all so I'll definitely redo the DC board There are two small ones on the motherboard and CPU board respectively, plus two big ones on the ATA board. Reckon I should replace the whole lot or would I get away with it?

Reply 13 of 75, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I worked on this very model many years ago... It was a pain in the ass, but otherwise it seemed a nice machine, though in the years since I first got used to the T1200XE and then realized I liked the Zenith SlimsPORT best as a 286 laptop. Hopefully the re-capping goes well, it would be great to see this running again, if only so I can come back and troll with the Zenith.

Things I remember about the 1600 I worked on are that there were some weird looking electronics in there, the hard drive had died (which is what I was fixing, still have that drive) and the floppy used one of those weird 16-Pin ribbons.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 14 of 75, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Thoroughly test if traces or vias were damaged by the leaking caps/batteries, as leaking caps alone don't neccessarily cause total malfunction. I.e. I see one via that looks critical on your photo.

Edit: One? Multiple.

Also, if recapping doesn't help, photos of the complete power board would help (bottom and top). Some measurements could be done, both offline and live (if the power board can be exposed with everything else connected).

1+1=10

Reply 15 of 75, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Thoroughly test if traces or vias were damaged by the leaking caps/batteries, as leaking caps alone don't neccessarily cause total malfunction. I.e. I see one via that looks critical on your photo.

Edit: One? Multiple.

Also, if recapping doesn't help, photos of the complete power board would help (bottom and top). Some measurements could be done, both offline and live (if the power board can be exposed with everything else connected).

Cheers - it's good to know I still have options if it doesn't resolve the issue. When you say via, do you mean the link between layers? Do I test that by measuring conductivity between the front and back on the same via?

Reply 17 of 75, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any Progress ?

Reply 18 of 75, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:

Any Progress ?

Waiting for parts. 😀 Plus I keep getting distracted by other projects (the list gets longer every day).

Reply 19 of 75, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Waiting for parts. 😀 Plus I keep getting distracted by other projects (the list gets longer every day).[/quote]

Yeah i know.. this happens to me too.
i have plenty of work.. and not so much time for things i want todo. 😒